Author Topic: Hammer spring removal on Witness  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Boogalou

Hammer spring removal on Witness
« on: September 06, 2006, 11:23:26 AM »
I just picked up a Witness Match in .45ACP and being the type of person who likes to see how things work, was wondering if anyone out there has removed/replaced  their Witness/Tanfoglio hammer spring or has a link of instructions on such.

According to Wolff, the newer  pistols have a short hammer spring (about 1.25" long) which is mounted transversely in the frame and does not extend down the back of the grip.

Thanks in advance.

Offline spsowell

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:40:28 PM »
I don't have a link, but have done it several times.  It's pretty straight forward.  If you check savvysurvivor he has some photos for some of the tear down.

-Field strip as usual
-Remove safety selector (remember to lift the the retaining spring in the sear assy and shift to one side).  This will free the sear assembly.
-Drive hammer assy roll pin out.  Then the hammer assy and spring will be free.

To re-assemble, it's handy to have a 3rd hand to compress the hammer spring via the hammer to align the holes while you place a punch, or nail, through the holes.  Then drive the roll pin back through, pushing out the punch/nail as you go to maintain alignment.

It's really easier than it sounds with my poor description.  I need to make sure I take some step by step photos next time I do this so I can post them.  There won't be any small parts or springs flying around when you do this.  Now the trigger group, or sear disassembly is another matter......

Hope this helps a bit.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Offline Boogalou

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:39:42 PM »
Thanks spsowell, the instructions you gave sound easier then replacing the hammer springs in a CZ.  :)

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Offline spsowell

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 05:02:09 PM »
It is easier than a CZ.  Very, very, much easier than on a BHP!

Offline RooK

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 06:15:27 PM »
Any tips on dealing with rollpins to prevent any undesired effects?  I recently purchased a Lyman rollpin punch set with the dimpled center while planning to do some work to the Witness.

Offline spsowell

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 07:09:34 PM »
The roll pin punches are a good move.  It will keep the punch from slipping off the pin and possibly scratching your finish.  I find short softer blows safer than hard ones.  More strokes, but less chance of a mishap.

Another good investment are rubber covers for the jaws of your vise.  I've used electrical tape, foam, etc....glad I finally got the covers.

anything