Author Topic: Debating on picking up a pre-B CZ 85 two tone  (Read 4273 times)

Offline reckboy

Debating on picking up a pre-B CZ 85 two tone
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »
Hi CZ Forum folks.  I have been reading quite a bit on the forums and really enjoy and appreciate the wealth of information.  This is my first post. 
I have been looking at a used CZ 85 Model, pre-B, does NOT have "Combat" stamped on it.  Looks like a early run, mid 80's since it has "Czechloslovakia" stamped on it and not Czech Republic.  There are definite signs of wear and use but racks and dry-fires smoothly and the trigger feels great.  It has what looks like the original adjustable rear sight on it too.  Not a fan of adjustable sights on a pistol but thought it might be worth mentioning. I know this is kind of a broad, subjective question...  but what do you think is a good price?  They are asking $450 with one magazine. 

I like that it has history but I am not a collector and enjoy shooting my pistols often.  Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Reck

Offline painter

Re: Debating on picking up a pre-B CZ 85 two tone
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:58:29 PM »
The 85 with an adjustable sight is typically considered a Combat, stamped or not.

That rear sight is irreplaceable.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline reckboy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »
The 85 with an adjustable sight is typically considered a Combat, stamped or not.

That rear sight is irreplaceable.

Okay, good to know.  The "NOT stamped Combat" notation was more meant to be descriptive and possibley help one of you experts on the forum evaluate age and/or value.  Just not sure if the price is good.  I am a 1911 45acp shooter and have been for decades.  I am looking to get something in 9mm for cheaper ammo on range days.  I also really love a quality firearm and am trying to learn more before deciding to purchase or not.  The feel and angle of the grips and weight of the 85 just feel right to me.  I am also a left handed shooter so the ambidextrous pistol is a really nice feature.  Buying a used handgun that is probably 30 years old is risky, but from the reputation of durability these CZ's carry I thought it was worth serious consideration and research. That is what brings me here to the forum.
Any further guidance and information is very welcome and appreciated. 

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
Sounds like an interesting find. The three variants, Standard, Lux and Combat of the early 85s did not bear any markings as to which type they were. As noted above, the Combat came with adjustable rear sights and were further distinguished from the Lux (also with adj. sights) by the squared-off trigger guard until 1989 when all production was standardized to this trigger guard.

Offline painter

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
There should be a two number code in an oval near the ejection port. That will give you the year of production.

but not the ability.

Offline reckboy

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
Well, I ended up picking up a two tone CZ 85 Combat used, but different from what I described initially.  The one I bought does say "Combat" on the slide and CZ-USA on the lower receiver so likely mid 90's or newer.  It was used in a gun shop on consignment.  It was dirty, has a scuffs here and there but the smith took it down for me and let me inspect it closely.  I liked what I saw except for the price.. $450.  We called the owner and I offered him $375 and he took it.  I got her home and cleaned her and the one magazine thoroughly this morning.  They were filthy but after some TLC nearly spotless now.  The slide racks smoothly and locks on an empty magazine properly, at least when racked manually.  The bore cleaned up perfectly.  The gun seems relatively tight.  Yeah, there are signs of use and some scuffs on the pistol, but I am happy so far.  Its got character.  Looking forward to the real test of shooting her tomorrow.  Will update this thread and let y'all know how it goes.  Thanks for all the advice.

PS, I am going to go by our local Cabela's and pick up some ammo later today.  Do these guns tend to be picky or will any 115gr FMJ do the trick?  I usually buy Federal American Eagle in 45 for my 1911 and it has been nice and consistent in that pistol.  I will go that route (Federal AE) for the 9mm unless advised otherwise. 

Reck.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
Grats on the 85c! 115g FMJ should be fine in your CZ. The only thing i have seen give issue with the CZ chamber is high weight (147g) with hi bullet shoulders. Some of the more knowledgeable reloaders on the forums have really laid it out in detail but i cannot find the thread at the moment.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline painter

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
You'll likely be fine with any commercially available 115 or 124gr round nose ammo. Don't buy large quantities of anything until you verify it functions in your pistol.

Some HP ammo can be a problem. Speer Gold Dot and Hornady XTP are reported to be fine in those weights. Like Tok said, 147gr ammo can be problematic.

but not the ability.

Offline Bret

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 08:38:56 PM »
$450 was too high for the other one, but I think you did well at $375 for the one you got.  Enjoy it.

Offline reckboy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
Cool.  thanks for the feedback on my negotiated price Bret.  It is always difficult buying used because you just don't know what you are going to get.  Apparently this was part of a collection of firearms that were on consignment at the shop because the owner had passed away.  I was not able to get any history on the CZ other than this and that they have been stored in, and showed up to the gun shop in an old suitcase.  I guess tumbling around in a suitcase with other guns would explain the little scuffs and marks in the satin nickel lower receiver. 

Thanks painter and Tok36 for the ammo info as well. I picked up a couple boxes of 115gr Federal AE FMJ.  Fingers crossed everything functions as it should. I will head to the range later this afternoon for some testing when the lanes open.  Yeah, I am in the south and on Sundays everything either stays closed or opens late with short hours.   

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »
Next time at your local Cabelas, try out a box of Winchester NATO.  My Matte Stainless and PCR shoot that stuff the tightest.  Their branded Herters brass case 115gr isn't too far behind and sometimes they'll sell it for around $10 per box.

It sounds like you got a heck of a deal!

Offline reckboy

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 09:38:08 PM »
I will try the Herters or Winchester NATO next time if it is on sale.  :)  That price is hard to pass up.

So the Combat ran great today.  250 rounds and only one FTE which could have just been a fluke.  I was surprised how tight a group this baby was holding.  Very nice indeed.
I definitely need to get more magazines though.   The one I have worked perfectly, but it was a lot of stopping and loading it every 16 shots.  Are the MacGar brand magazines any good or do you recommend sticking with CZ factory mags?

Offline Tok36

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »
I will try the Herters or Winchester NATO next time if it is on sale.  :)  That price is hard to pass up.

So the Combat ran great today.  250 rounds and only one FTE which could have just been a fluke.  I was surprised how tight a group this baby was holding.  Very nice indeed.
I definitely need to get more magazines though.   The one I have worked perfectly, but it was a lot of stopping and loading it every 16 shots.  Are the MacGar brand magazines any good or do you recommend sticking with CZ factory mags?

MecGars for sure, they are cheaper than factory and as good or better.

Gregcotellc.com Note: 10 round version.
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-magazines-c-173/cz-75b-cz-75bd-cz-85b-cz-75-sp01-10-rd-9mm-mgcz7510b-p-1496.html?zenid=f9822946eab55b657c75023a06996357

Edit: Free state version -  17 round w/ poly base plate
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-magazines-c-173/cz-75b-cz-75bd-cz-85b-cz-75-sp01-17-rd-9mm-mgcz7517afc-p-591.html

16 round w/ steel base plate.
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-magazines-c-173/cz-75b-cz-75bd-cz-85b-cz-sp01-16-rd-9mm-factory-mag-11101-p-1482.html
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:28:11 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Bret

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 09:42:59 PM »
Mec-Gar's are top quality.  In fact, they produce "factory" magazines for many pistol manufacturers.