Author Topic: SP-01 or Beretta 92FS  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Vinny

Re: SP-01 or Beretta 92FS
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
I don't regret selling my Beretta 8000 compact; a smaller version of the 92.

I love my CZ's, DA/SA decockers in three sizes. Full sizeSP-01, Compact P-01, and Sub-Compact RAMI BD. 

Although the Beretta is a very well made handgun, durable and accurate; I could never get used to the redundant manual safety that operates backwards (up to fire) from every other manual safety gun I own including 1911's etc. The grip was also too fat for my medium-size hands.

In the mid 80's when the M9 was intro'd, it was one of the best semi-autos with almost 2x the rounds of it's predecessor the 1911.

By comparison today; I think you're going to love your CZ's.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline GypsyDanger

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
OP there's a large conflict of interest here, lol.

I own a 92S trade in with all new springs and pins across the board. Shoots just as soft as my CZs.

Would have absolutely zero qualms with using it in a training course. However, I simply shoot better with my Czechs. The ergos are what do it for me. I suggest shooting both first, and then making your decision.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »
Yeah, gotta admit this CZ Forum is probably a bit biased.  ::)
But I do think the responses have been fair and accurate. A firearm is kinda like a suit; some fit and some don't. A matter of personal choice.

However, that backwards safety scares me. When I shoot my 1911's or almost any other gun with a manual safety; I've trained myself to rest my strong thumb on the safety and intuitively hold it down as part of my grip. I did that instinctively with my Beretta and of course the gun didn't fire. WTF? Oh yeah; the safety-off is UP. Duh. No problem at the range; but in a life-or-death situation a split second counts. I don't want to have to think about it.

Of course, if you only train with a Beretta and/or it's your regular duty pistol, problem solved.  Really nice classic guns with some great features. Their unique rotating barrel among them.

But for me, getting rid of a potential deadly mistake was my solution. Just my $.02
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:47:25 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 11:13:18 PM »
I'll echo what others have said, ya gotta shoot both for yourself and see what feels right.  My 92 with Pachmayer grips & backstrap fits my hand well, where my S2 is too small but still fun to shoot. 

Offline copemech

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 12:38:43 AM »
But I do think the responses have been fair and accurate. A firearm is is kinda like a suit; some fit and some don't. A matter of personal choice.

However, that backwards safety scares me. When I shoot my 1911's or almost any other gun with a manual safety; I've trained myself to rest my strong thumb on the safety and intuitively hold it down as part of my grip. I did that instinctively with my Beretta and of course the gun didn't fire. WTF? Oh yeah; the safety-off is UP. Duh. No problem at the range; but in a life-or-death situation a split second counts. I don't want to have to think about it.

Of course, if you only train with a Beretta and/or it's your regular duty pistol, problem solved.  Really nice classic guns with some great features. Their unique rotating barrel among them.

But for me, getting rid of a potential deadly mistake was my solution. Just my $.02

Just buy a friggin Tarus, I have found better factory triggers on them, they don't cost as much, they look better and the safety is in the correct place!

A lifetime warranty!(not sure who's) and a decocker to boot!

They did take over the Baretta factory you know! O0

Then when you get tired of it set it aside and buy the SP-01 and convert it into the friggin racegun you allways wanted to have in the first place instead of the chunky pig! :-*
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:48:30 AM by copemech »

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »
But I do think the responses have been fair and accurate. A firearm is is kinda like a suit; some fit and some don't. A matter of personal choice.

Just buy a friggin Tarus, I have found better factory triggers on them, they don't cost as much, they look better and the safety is in the correct place!

A lifetime warranty!(not sure who's) and a decocker to boot!

They did take over the Baretta factory you know! O0

Then when you get tired of it set it aside and buy the SP-01 and convert it into the friggin racegun you allways wanted to have in the first place instead of the chunky pig! :-*

The Taurus 92 is one of the best pistols on the market.... IMO.  There are very....very few negative comments about it's performance and features, and it is one of the Taurus pistols that has no recall on it for malfunctions. The safety is one of the major reasons I chose it over the Beretta.  I traded mine for an older Remington Wingmaster and a Ruger SR9......I kept the Wingmaster!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline warbird1

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 07:57:05 PM »
My CZ's, Beretta's and Taurus pistols are all outstanding. Own multiples of each. For competition I prefer my SP01 Tactical in 40. I must admit I have a little bit of a collectors bug.

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
Both great guns and both shoot great. Whatever you enjoy shooting the most should be the choice.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
As much as I wanted to love the classic 92FS, I just don't shoot it well.  I still own it, but it sits in the safe.

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
I sold my 92FS to start my CZ recruiting. I kept the 92 compact since I shot it better than the full size.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline mw212

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 12:30:45 AM »
I have both guns, an SP-01 an M9A1.  I have rather large hands so the M9 feels fine to me.  I like the fit and finish of the M9 better, Beretta makes a bleep good looking gun.  Aesthetically, my only gripe with the CZ is that the slide overhangs the frame a little.  Just my OCD kicking in.

If money is no object, get both.  I wanted the SP-01 for my first handgun, but being in Commiefornia, everywhere was out of stock, so I bought the M9A1 instead, and I love both of them.  I'm not being very helpful am I.  I think the SP-01 wins by a bit of a margin. 

I will say though, the SP-01 trigger does take some polishing work and/or breaking in to get a truly smooth trigger.

Offline barrister

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 08:58:26 AM »
Shot both just this past weekend (M9A1 and SP-01 Tac).

They're basically similar in size and shape only. The weight is in different places as far as feel goes in your hand, recoil is similar once you shoot since they're heavy ass guns in both cases. The SP wasn't mine, but I'm looking to get one now, it just feels right in your hand.

As for the M9A1, I like that they're impossible to find and probably will be going forward. Unless CMP takes the surplus, I can't see Beretta making anymore at this point so they're a nice collectible that still shoots. I added the Wolff trigger spring and Wilson combat short reach trigger on mine, which I found made it a lot more enjoyable to shoot than it already was. A solid $30 upgrade if you get one.

Offline kato01

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 06:20:14 AM »
I own an SP-01 Shadow and have carried the Beretta for work.  You mentioned your hands are small, as are mine, and with thin aluminum grips, the CZ for me is a better fit.  Agree with the post earlier which says you should shoot both if possible and see if you have a preference.  The biggest issue for me was the size of the grip on the Beretta.