Author Topic: Eyes are getting old...need HELP!!  (Read 1800 times)

Offline BobC

Eyes are getting old...need HELP!!
« on: February 04, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »
hi to all.....as i age i'm having trouble focusing on the front sight because it is some what blurry, with my glasses on.....i know its there, can see it shape, but it is not clear....most of my life i was 20/20 without glasses, but now i wear them all the time.....mild correction for 20/20 up top and magnification bi focals for reading......i just purchased a new CZ75BD from CZ Custom and trying to line up the front red fiber optic sight is tough, because its not clearly in focus.....and tips, ideas?....Would changing the color from red to green or a bright yellow on the front sight help?....or am i just chasing smoke.....and laser surgery in not an option....the rear sight is the CZ tactical sight which has no dots on it.....

I'm sure our "Senior" shooters are experiencing the same problem.....i have done a search on the forum and haven't found anything related......thanks for looking and i welcome your comments

Bob
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:50:49 PM by BobC »
The Journey is the Reward!

Ron M.

Re: Eyes are getting old...need HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 01:04:14 PM »
Try a set of lenses made to your bifocal prescription, but set for the distance to your front sight. For me it's the same as the glasses I use when working on a computer. I maintain a 3500 plus security camera camera system and a 2000 card reader access control system plus alarm panels and safety interlock systems for my employer, I'm on a computer 4 to 6 hours a day.

Offline Wideload

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 01:23:51 PM »
Ron M's suggestion above, for iron sights.  It's more important to see the front sight clearly than the target.

Or you may have to consider some form of red dot optics.  (Search on Carry Optics and USPSA/IPSC Open Guns to see the range of options ... and costs)
A-1 Dinsintegrating Pistol
Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »
I have two sets of bifocals

1.  Shooting glasses: Larger than normal bottom portion,  set for my front sight height,  computer key board and monitor uses. 
The upper section is set to view 25 yard targets clearly.
The bottom section height is the natural heads up stance to draw and see the front sight clearly. I used the tip of my strong hand finger with my arm extended to set the focal point for the front sight.
The upper section begins just above the front sight to see the target clearly straight ahead and peripherally for transition shots.
This set-up works very well for me without having to change anything for my shooting stance/positions.

2.  The other glasses are standard height bi-focals for reading and distance.  She was very familiar with pistol shooting vision requirements.

An optometrist at the VA recommended this and helped me set it up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:33:48 PM by 1SOW »

Offline bang bang

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
welcome,

talk to you eye doc about this issue.

let him know whats going on and what you want to do. 

he/she will have a better idea on how to proceed if any.

SailDesign

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »
I have a set of everyday variable "bifocals"..  What this means is that I get to the firing line and you'll see my head bobbing up and down find the sweet spot for the front sight to be in focus.  If I couldn't focus on it, I wouldn't pull the trigger.  Period.    Had Bells Palsy on my left side (left-hand, left eye dominant) last year, and stayed home with my laser trainer as I  couldn't focus on anything.   

One of the Four Rules - make sure of your target...  If you can't see it, don't shoot.

Offline rhart

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 05:06:42 PM »
I use a set of safety glasses that have full lens magnification I got on Amazon. I have two pair - one with +1.00 magnification and one with +1.25. I use the 1.25 pair for terget shooting and the 1.00
pair for competition. I read on this forum somewhere about an aperture that you stick on your glasses for focusing - kind of like a peep sight.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline salagubang49

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
Do you shoot with both eyes open? If not, learn how. I was taught to shoot while in the military and eventually made it and competed at Interservice matches, always focus on the front sight. Your target will just be a blurry object. I'm in my late 60's and wears transition lens bifocals without the line separation. I don't know how much the insurance paid but I shell out $530 bucks out of my pocket.
Glock 17, 19, 20, 27, Kahr P40
Beretta 21A, 96 Centurion
Colt Combat Commander, AR-15s
S&W 686 (No Dash), Ruger SP101
WalterPPK/S, CZ-P07, SP-01

Offline aguila9

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »
Like many of the post above I also use a bifocal set up, with the magnification lense set higher in my line of sight so I don't have to lift my chin up to focus to the front sight. It works great. Although it can take some getting used to.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 10:49:48 PM »
I have just started using these.....If you have 20/20 vision in both eyes but need bifocal strength to see the front sight with your dominant eye.....the bifocal is on the top and you get a second set of lenses without any magnification. It allows you to swap out the lens of the non-dominant eye for plain lens. Only problem is that trying to read anything close up requires looking through the top of the frame. I have ordered stick-on bifocal lens to put on the lower part of the frame of the non-dominant eye.  https://sspeyewear.com/products/tf-bifocal

Offline jim.c

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »
I talked to my eye doc about the same issue you are having and he suggested trifocals with the middle lens set to focus on the front sight. It works great and also works for seeing the dash in my truck better.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
Being cheap I use store bought reading glasses.  In the store I find glasses that make my thumb on my out stretched arm clearly in focus.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline rhart

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
I have just started using these.....If you have 20/20 vision in both eyes but need bifocal strength to see the front sight with your dominant eye.....the bifocal is on the top and you get a second set of lenses without any magnification. It allows you to swap out the lens of the non-dominant eye for plain lens. Only problem is that trying to read anything close up requires looking through the top of the frame. I have ordered stick-on bifocal lens to put on the lower part of the frame of the non-dominant eye.  https://sspeyewear.com/products/tf-bifocal

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a pair. The full lens readers I use don't allow me to have a nonmagnified nondominant eye like these do. I,m going to try them out.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline wdbutcher

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for advice. Yep, getting older has it's challenges, but the alternative is worse ;)
Do you wear the bifocals with lines? I can definitely see how that could cause some problems. As others have said, the first thing you need to do is be able to focus on the front sight. Lately I've been compensating for a blurry target by making the bullseye on my targets larger and more distinctive. This helps more that you would guess. Don't look too close to how well I shoot. I'm not very good, but the target is an example of what I'm talking about. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:01:38 PM by wdbutcher »

Offline BobC

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
thanks for all the comments....i do shoot with both eyes open (military trained, when the eyes worked perfectly) and towards the end of the month i have an appointment with my eye doctor....hopefully she can help....maybe a pair of tri-focals......when i am at my property in Vermont, i open carry, so i need to wear the glasses that i will be shooting with.....lots of critters in the area......

Bob
The Journey is the Reward!