Author Topic: First Impressions (Up dated with shooting Impressions II)  (Read 2333 times)

Offline ThomasPaine1

First Impressions (Up dated with shooting Impressions II)
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »
I picked up my 10mm Match this morning. My first impressions follow.

The gun feels good in the hand, with very few sharp edges if any.Before being 100% sure about that I need to shoot it and do some live fire drills.
 The pistol is fitted well and points well.I do wish there was a source for thinner grips however.
 The trigger pull is good and the set screw stops return and reset are about right.I may after shooting it back the return screw out to give it a little more travel on the return.
 The thumb safety is stiff but I think after clean up and relube with some use it will slick up just fine.
 I intend to measure the barrel length as the various figures I have seen say 5 inch, 4.75 inch and even 4.5 inch. Also the barrel is supposed to be polygonal but it looks more conventional.
  Next a request I intend to contact HBE about a holster but I like to have several rigs for a primary weapon. Anyone know of holster sources for this gun?   Will a Cz 97B holster fit it?

Test fire will be Friday morning and after zero I will use whatever ammo i have on hand and can get locally for initial testing  and break end.

Update

Put approximately 100 rounds of Blazer 200 TMJ and 25 rounds of 180 grain Master Cartridge (Georgia Arms ) during the shoot. The gun as it comes out of the box shoots high. The rear sight was already adjusted up to bring the rounds down so I left it and shot it that way. It begin to shoot in and down to wards the end of the secession. I will watch this and shoot more before doing anything like trying to get a higher front sight.
 The trigger was good, and the operation was tight the
gun needs a break in period as it was almost too tight. I will look for wear points and problems when I break it down and clean it later tonight or tomorrow.

UPDATE  II

Got the gun dialed in and  running good. Fired approximately 125 rounds today of 200 FMJ Blazer and 180 grain Gold Dot from Georgia Arms. Had 3 instances of the mag dropping about 1/4in in rapid fire leaving an empty chamber. Changed my grip and had no further problems.Evidently under rapid fire my weak hand thumb was hitting the mag release(I use a low thumb hold). Accuracy was excellent.In case anyone needs to know the clicks on the rear sight are 1/4 moa clicks. Shot my Witness standard in 10mm as a control, the extra barrel and slide length  really make a difference as to how the recoil feels and lessens muzzle flip.
 I will began a serious training program with this pistol as soon as I get set up for reloading 10mm .(Man this is one caliber reloading is a must for). So far no real problems. I intend to field strip , clean and lube the gun tonight.I will look for any signs of stress or battering then. So Far So Good.

bakjr

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »
Be sure to check your front sight set screw during and after shooting it. That was the only issue I found with my Match the last time I was at the range. I shot 100 rounds through it without any hiccups at all, but when I got home and started to give it a thorough cleaning, I noticed the the front sight set screw had almost backed all the way out and the front site was loose. If I would have stayed and shot another box, I'm sure it would have flown off while shooting. A little loctite on the threads and it was good to go.

Offline ThomasPaine1

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 07:49:29 PM »
I got to measure the barrel today.Method used was a wooden rod inserted down the barrel coming to rest on the breech face. 4 and 7/8 inches in length.I'll do a cleaning and tighten/loctite all set screws tomorrow.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 06:51:15 AM »
You've said that the gun feels too tight.  Without the barrel and Spring & Guide Rod installed, see if the slide rides smoothly back and forth on the frame.

If so, and I expect that it will, inspect the Barrel underlug sides for toolmarks and clearance between the Frame Barrel Supports.  If there are toolmarks present and/or the sides of the barrel underlug are rubbing the Frame Barrel Supports, it is a simple matter to sand (320 grit wet/dry) the sides of the barrel underlug.  Let us know what you find.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline ThomasPaine1

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 07:07:43 PM »
I may have mis communicated .Tight isn't the word. The slide is smooth operating when I hand cycle it with no burps of any sort.  However in recoil there is a spongy feeling to the recoil. I think this may be caused by the recoil spring traveling through the wasp waisted portion of the recoil spring guide.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 09:09:33 PM »
Okay!

As usual, clarification in the details helps, greatly!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Finsterino

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »
I see that I am not the only one with this problem: lower the rear sight to lower the impact on target - not the other way around!! :rollin

DAve

Offline ThomasPaine1

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 01:53:05 PM »
Quote:
I see that I am not the only one with this problem: lower the rear sight to lower the impact on target - not the other way around!!  

Dave

In the Imortal words of Homer Simpson Doooooohhhhh!!!!

anything