Author Topic: PICKED UP MY FIRST P-09 ON WEDNESDAY  (Read 1053 times)

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
Re: PICKED UP MY FIRST P-09 ON WEDNESDAY
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »
Yes, reducing the hammer hook to a reasonable amount was the only thing I did to get rid of all the creep. I wore the pins out taking it out and putting it back until I had enough hook engagement to make things safe but had removed enough to eliminate all but just the faintest amount of creep before the sear broke. I went from what looked like 1/8" of wasted trigger movement to just an ever so faint movement now before the hammer falls.
It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
Was the cut you made on the trigger the largest reduction of creep?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
And the original Opie post I believe he said he cut ten thousands off the hammer hooks not the trigger.
I don't live here , but I will reply ASAP !!!
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is A Lie even if everybody believes it ,
And the Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Mechanical Merce

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
Was the cut you made on the trigger the largest reduction of creep?

And the original Opie post I believe he said he cut ten thousands off the hammer hooks not the trigger.
You are right. I mean hammer but was thinking of trigger creep. Either way im not going to cut anything. Im going to get a cgw hammer. The pull weight isnt my main concern. Just the creep. Great post OP. Thank you for the constructive commentary. Im looking forward to having similar results down the road with my p09.  Keep on keeping on with yours.

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
Because this is a new platform for me I was curious about the rollers from CGW so I ordered both sizes to try just to find out what kind of effect they have on the action. Today I installed the .220, .230 and the OEM. My OEM roller measures .216 and it had a good double action pull with the original. Adding the much oversized .230 the double action went from good to terrible. Not smooth and definitely not light. Installing the recommended .220 was like shooting a whole different gun. Light and ultra smooth with no stacking. Using the correct size roller made all the difference, better than the stock unit by leaps and bounds and way better than the wrong size. I love how easy these guns are to disassemble. Swapping parts is a breeze. I may need to add a few more of these in the near future.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:17:39 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline Winkel

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »
I took a little material off my hammer hooks too.  It made a noticeable difference in trigger pre-travel.

BUT, I am not a gunsmith and if you remove too much and adversely affect the function of the gun, you'll be spending $85 on a new hammer. 

Please understand you do this at your own risk and may be accepting some level of liability in the case of a negligent discharge (above and beyond the obvious). 

I too only removed about 0.010" if I remember correctly. 

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 12:03:36 PM »
So, after installing the CGW's Race Hammer I noticed my safety would not engage with the new hammer at full cock. After studying the shaft on the safety I found that the new hammer changed the geometry of the sear just enough that the step on the safety shaft could not slip under the sear. I removed the safety and using a large Cratex wheel on my moto tool in slow speed, polished the round area just above the large notch on the safety shaft. The large Cratex wheel removes very little metal and is more of a polishing bit but allows a controlled amount of removal when run at a low speed. It also polishes the area as it very slowly reduces it. It only took a few passes and the step on the shaft was reduced enough to just slip under the sear. I have also been working with the single action break of the trigger. I was looking for something in the 2 lb. area with zero creep but also had enough sear engagement to make it safe and repeatable. With the Race Hammer installed I played with the sear springs and adjusted the Trigger return spring to get me there. After installing the CGW's reduced power safety plunger spring, polishing the firing pin block plunger and it's bore and then the top of the safety lift lever all to a mirror finish it is basically gone from the equation, I cannot tell it is there at all. I am finished finally with the action work and very happy with the results. Single action gives me a 2 lb. glass rod break and the double action is at 7.5 lbs. and smooth as silk. After finishing yesterday I went out and ran 500 rounds through the gun and I could not be happier. The only thing I think is missing is an extended thumb safety and an oversized disco that could be fitted. When I get some time I may take this project on just to see what can be done. There is enough take up in the trigger in both double and single action that a reach reduction would give a positive result.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:04:37 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline Joe L

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
Excellent!!  Thanks for the report.  Very happy that everything is working out so well for you.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
The more I shoot it the better I like it. I can't say if this is just a "rubbing the new off" experience yet but the P-09 has become my favorite CZ pistol. When I open the safe each day to go practice the P-09 is the gun I grab. With all of the CGW's improvements including the their excellent sight set and the ultra grippy skateboard tape grips I can shoot this gun faster with better splits than any of the other 26 CZ's I own. If you don't have a Cajun spiced P-09 you are missing out on a lot of shooting satisfaction.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:50:10 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »
^^^^I always say I'm not a great fan of plastic pistols but every time I practice with my gen 2 P-07 with the CGW upgrades I've done it impresses me. Over 5K rnds in 2 years and no failures, it really is a great pistol.

Offline gcw16

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
I just got a P-09 and took it to the range yesterday along with my SP-01 Shadow. To my surprise I shot the P-09 almost as well as the Shadow despite it being the first time out with it. When dry firing the P-09 I noticed the large amount of creep but I have to say I really didn't notice that much while shooting. I will probably put a CGW hammer in it and then maybe some other changes. I don't want a real light SA pull, about 3.5 lbs with reduced creep is fine with me.

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
The short reset kit is a must have. You can control the single action pull with the trigger return spring, sear spring and main spring. You must have the short reset kit, it makes the gun world class!
I just came back from practice and set a new personal best for myself. I can run the 5 plate rack at slightly under 3 seconds with the P-09. I have to be able to do this 3 times in a row before it counts to me, I did 4 full mags worth today without a miss. This is the quickest I have ever been able to do this with any consistency. It's definitely working for me! The polymer frame absorbs recoil amazingly for me. It's just point and shoot as fast I you can with a satisfying clink of metal on each shot.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:50:29 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
Because this is a new platform for me I was curious about the rollers from CGW so I ordered both sizes to try just to find out what kind of effect they have on the action. Today I installed the .220, .230 and the OEM. My OEM roller measures .216 and it had a good double action pull with the original. Adding the much oversized .230 the double action went from good to terrible. Not smooth and definitely not light. Installing the recommended .220 was like shooting a whole different gun. Light and ultra smooth with no stacking. Using the correct size roller made all the difference, better than the stock unit by leaps and bounds and way better than the wrong size. I love how easy these guns are to disassemble. Swapping parts is a breeze. I may need to add a few more of these in the near future.

Thanks for this info, this is exactly the detail I was looking for.  CZ forums and CGW for the win again.

anything