Author Topic: Recoil Spring for SP-01  (Read 5563 times)

Offline anonymouscuban

Recoil Spring for SP-01
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »
Hey guys.

This board has been so much help to me. I pick up my new 75 SP-01 in a couple of weeks. It's my first firearm. This gun will primarily be used at that range, shooting lighter loads.

I've been reading a lot of posts on the forum, one being the sticky on Breaking In the SP-01.

One of the things mentioned is changing out the recoil spring to a #13 spring. I'm considering doing this to mine. Should I do it now or wait?

I've read other simple, cheap upgrades to make are to the Hammer Spring and the Reduced Power Firing Pin Spring. Again, do now or wait until I have more experience with the pistol?

I added the parts in my cart to make sure I'm getting the right ones. Can you guys confirm?

Thanks again for all the help.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:26:44 PM by anonymouscuban »

Offline cntrydawwwg

Recoil Spring for SP-01
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »
Personally I'd shoot it first. That's the only way you're gonna know what you want or need to change.
    As far as the recoil spring, ejecting around 6-8' is ideal. So once again, won't know until you shoot it. FWIW, all my CZ's have the OEM recoil springs. All eject about 6-8', shooting WWB.
    YMMV
    Just to add
    Especially since this is your first pistol, I'll say again, shoot it first. Get to know it, get comfortable with it. Then make your choices, or keep it stock.
   JMHO
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:42:37 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline rhart

Re: Recoil Spring for SP-01
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »
You should get an extended firing pin to go with that reduced power firing pin spring. Some will say shoot the gun for a while first, but I say make the shooting experience as enjoyable as possible right out of the gate with a lightened trigger pull via a reduced power hammer spring. I use a 13# hammer spring and with the extended firing pin (which comes with a reduced power firing pin spring), I don't get any light strikes (using Freedom Munitions new and reman ammo). YMMV
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »
So one vote for doing it out of the box and one for waiting.

I'm on the fence about it mostly because these parts are so inexpensive. If it were more money, then I'd probably decide to wait to make sure it's something I want or need.  That sort of tells me I should wait though. 

Decisions. Decisions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
Shoot the new pistol and see what you do and/or don't like.  The pistol will "seat" friction surfaces together by shooting it.  This will change the feel.  A few hundred rounds later,  you'll know better what you would like to change.

The type of ammo you'll be shooting "most" is what you'll want to tune the pistol to "like". :)

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Shoot the new pistol and see what you do and/or don't like.  The pistol will "seat" friction surfaces together by shooting it.  This will change the feel.  A few hundred rounds later,  you'll know better what you would like to change.

The type of ammo you'll be shooting "most" is what you'll want to tune the pistol to "like". :)
Speaking of ammo, any recommendations? I plan on buying in bulk online. I checked out some of the vendors recommended in the stickied post but to be honest, it's overwhelming.

I'm not really sure what to look for. I know I need FMJ as the ranges I shoot don't allow other types. I also don't want to spend a ton but not to the point that I'm compromising too much on quality.

Offline matty76

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
+1 on shooting first to see whether you need to make changes. When I first shot my SP-01, I had some concerns i.e. slide was hard to rack, slide lock did not engage sometimes when mag is empty. And although getting a lighter recoil spring would help for the time being, breaking in the gun can also smooth out these issues. And for me, the issues were smoothed out by simply putting more rounds through it. I've only put 250 rounds through my SP-01 so far, but already its showing improvement.

Offline Joost

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »
Shoot it first....
The day i got my shadow i changed the  mainspring 13# + firing pin spring and the recoils spring 13#
The trigger was Way to light for me, shooting doubles and fires before i wanted...
Shoot it first....

When i got used to it it shot great,good trigger.
Then changed the recoil spring to 11# for better doubletaps in ipsc.

Later on got the sa trigger on it and it even got better.

I can shoot this pistol faster than Anthing, almost no recoil movement

Shoot it first...

Offline Winkel

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 07:19:27 PM »
My recommendation too would be to clean it, oil it up the rails and shoot it. 

I switched to the lighter spring after a few hundred rounds and then switched back.  Mine was throwing the empties about 15 feet with the lighter spring, and works fine now with the stock setup. 

Shoot it stock and see how it works for you.

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »
Again... you guys come through for this newb!!

I think the reasonable thing to do is to wait.

Sorry if asking a lot of questions. Whenever I take something up, I dive head first into research. I like to be as knowledgeable as possible. And with this new hobby, being ignorant can be deadly so I've put my reading into overdrive!!

I will put the interwebs down for a bit and shoot the bleep thing first and get to know her before I go moddy it.  ;) You guys do name your pistols, right? And they are lady names?

Now about my ammo question?? LOL   ::)

Offline SoCal

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
Another vote for a clean and shoot first! 

I have used a wide variety of ammo in my CZ's and they all have worked well (including my hand loads) so they must not be picky.  From 115 to 147, RN, hollow points, TC, etc.  Try different loads and find what YOU like, your CZ will shoot it.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
I just buy whatever ammo is the cheapest (and no steel).

As far as upgrades go, I polished my trigger and swapped out the main spring and front sight before I ever shot it (first gun too). Before my second outing, I had replaced the barrel bushing and grips.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »
Ammo,  To just start getting the pistol broken in,  I recommend just some big box store standard range 115gr target ammo.  I personally wouldn't recommend  Remington,  but WIN, Blazer and Federal 115gr should shoot fine.  Try all three first and then maybe the one(S) that shoot OK for you and your pistol.
Most "shooters" also need some break-in time with their new pistol. ;)

For future thoughts on changes:
 Notice how far your brass cases are thrown when ejected. 
See which ammo brand shoot most accurately for you.  You don't need to go overboard with accuracy yet,  but just general accuracy. Use the top of the sights aligned with SMALL clearly seen targets.  10 yards is a good range for a rough test.
Do ALL your mags work well and lock the slide back after the last Rd is fired?

ENJOY shooting that slick new CZ pistol.   ;D 8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:02:18 PM by 1SOW »

Offline matty76

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:18 AM »
For Ammo, I've been told that the recommended for CZ75s are 124gr, but I've shot with both 115 and 124 and they are all fine. I bought blazer brass FMJ 124gr for range and Remington JHP 115gr for HD.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 02:29:38 AM »
Its seams that you have already decided to shoot it stock. For information sake another upside of shooting stock first is trouble shooting and warranty. I have always shot at least 500 rounds in stock config though a new CZ, that way if something comes up you do not have any tuning that can enter into the equation. Also in the rare occasion that a new pistol needs to go in for warranty i do not need to undo anything. Once you tune a new pistol it voids the warranty, CZ USA is forgiving about it in some cases but stock can go smoother in others. Almost all break in hiccups have worked them self's out in my CZs in the first 500 rounds. Some dry fire is a great way to smooth things out as well without spending ammo. I usually clean, lubricate and dry fire a few hundred times before i shoot them. It is a good idea to use a snap cap, an O-ring or catch the hammer with your thumb for dry fire to reduce the ware on the factory firing pin retaining pin. I just catch the hammer if i am smoothing out the SA before going to the range for the first time.

For me the most significant gain in shooting in stock config first is that i appreciate the upgrades more latter because i have a more solid baseline to work from.

As to the ammo i will add that doing the plunk test with new ammo is a good habit to get into. I have yet to have issue with anything that will pass the plunk test. I have also found a few rounds that did not pass and it allowed me to avoid the potential issues that ammo could have caused. It is rather unlikely that any 115g-124g FMJ is going to give you trouble but i still plunk test them. I prefer 124g FMJ myself, i seam to shoot it a bit more accurately in part due to its recoil impulse. This dose seam to be a subjective factor though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:07:49 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)