Author Topic: Performance Center Shield  (Read 298 times)

Offline matty76

Performance Center Shield
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
I have been thinking about getting the M&P Shield 9mm, as it seems to have a solid rep. Then I noticed the performance center version and wonder if its worth getting. As far as I can tell the key differences are porting (reduced muzzle flip) and fiber optic sights. Are there other advantages of the performance center shield and is it worth the extra $$?

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: Performance Center Shield
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »
Same Q was asked on the S&W forum I belong to. In short, porting sight and reportedly the trigger is better
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline matty76

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
Same Q was asked on the S&W forum I belong to. In short, porting sight and reportedly the trigger is better

So I wouldn't need to get the Apex trigger, as many suggested for the regular shield?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
I have spent some range time with two of them. One belongs to a friend and the other my brother in law. My brother in law has the PC as well as a standard shield. The ports' effect is not drastic but the trigger is much better than the original. The sights are better too. You can't add sights and an aftermarket trigger for the difference in price, so I think it's a great deal. The downside is that the ports foul the inside of the gun quickly. I sold my G43 and replaced it with a shield 45 and am very pleased. The trigger is better than the std shield 9mm, but not as smooth as the PC. Grip texture is more aggressive on the .45 as well. It's remarkably soft shooting for a subcompact 45. 9 or 45, it's a great platform for a small carry pistol.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 06:45:37 PM »

So I wouldn't need to get the Apex trigger, as many suggested for the regular shield?
I can't see the Apex trigger being that much better. The two that I shot were smooth with an audible/tactile reset and a pull weight of 4.5 to 5lbs.

Online cntrydawwwg

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »
OP, I haven't shot either yet. But I will ask, have you shot a ported barrel before?
   I only ask because the first time I shot a ported barrel was on a pistol I'd bought. For me, huge mistake. Now granted, it was a .44mag so I'm sure a .9mm won't be as loud. But even with hearing protection it just was not fun to shoot. JMO.
    Now if you like porting, then by all means get the performance center.

If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
I didn't find the ports on the shield to be a big deal either way. Actually, the barrel only has one port on each side. I'd be curious to see the PC shield 45 in action though.

Offline matty76

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:42:37 AM »
OP, I haven't shot either yet. But I will ask, have you shot a ported barrel before?
   I only ask because the first time I shot a ported barrel was on a pistol I'd bought. For me, huge mistake. Now granted, it was a .44mag so I'm sure a .9mm won't be as loud. But even with hearing protection it just was not fun to shoot. JMO.
    Now if you like porting, then by all means get the performance center.

Very good point, cntrydawwwg. I didnt think about how much louder a ported barrel would be, but that makes sense. That and the fouling of the ported barrel gives me a reason to look more toward the regular shield.

Very helpful as usual, CZ community! Thanks!

Offline Czvlad

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 06:24:45 AM »
Carry a shield every day . Shot my friends PS side by side. The difference is negligible.  And the trigger works in really well. I have about 500 rounds through mine and trigger feels almost the same as his.
Just ordered +2round extention.  Great carry gun. Good luck

Offline matty76

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 02:05:39 AM »
Carry a shield every day . Shot my friends PS side by side. The difference is negligible.  And the trigger works in really well. I have about 500 rounds through mine and trigger feels almost the same as his.
Just ordered +2round extention.  Great carry gun. Good luck

Have you fired an apex trigger for comparison? Would love to know the difference in feel/performance.

Offline oldtimer48

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »
Ihave both the 9mm and the 45 acp regular shields they are plenty accurate for conceal carry I practice with both out to 10 yards and feel comfortable with them out to 15 20 yrds.I have a close friend that recently purchased a sw shield preformance and he was prepared to carry it ccw. I suggested that he shoot it first boy was he glad it shot the first bullet good and locked back past the slide stop on a almost full mag of bullets. He sent it back to sw waiting to hear from them. He about 1 week ago purchased a sw mp 2 the newest model and it is on its way back to sw. They are nice guns but check them out before you ccw with one or any other manufacturers before your life or someone you may know life is on the line

Offline flattusmaximus78

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:50 AM »
My Mom and Brother bother carry and shoot PC Shields in 9mm. Great gun, quite the shooter. Good trigger, slim, and very light. They are a good deal at $469 which is the was the price before the 2.0's started coming out, my local store offered one to me for $419 the other day, which was tough to say no to.

The ported barrel makes no difference when cleaning the gun. It goes bang louder, but no big deal. No louder than a cz in 9mm.

Offline matty76

« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:04:07 PM »
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Based on the info, I feel the best thing for me is to pick up the regular shield and install the apex trigger (and maybe upgrade sights).

anything