Author Topic: TS Orange Trigger Pull Modifications  (Read 5435 times)

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
TS Orange Trigger Pull Modifications
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:51:12 AM »
So as most of you know I recently acquired a TS Orange in 40 S&W.  It is a sweet gun but the trigger pull is very short and light.  I have dealt with light trigger pulls in my other CZ's but this gun being SAO with very little pre-travel makes it just that more difficult.  I want to increase the trigger pull to provide a more distinct actuation point.

I did a little research to see what others have done to increase their trigger pulls and came across an interesting solution.  Folks are installing two sear springs in the sear.  Reports are you can get a 3 lb trigger pull with two sear springs.  You have to modify the right side of the sear to make room for two sear springs.  I found reports that Tangfolio sear springs are heavier than CZ springs.  I had previously attempted to install a Tangfolio sear spring in my decocker SP-01 tactical but it wouldn't fit due to the extra coil on the Tangfolio spring (too wide with the decocker lever in the sear cage).  Then there is the main spring which doesn't have a very large impact on single action trigger pull weight.  You could also re-cut the hammer hooks to provide more hook engagement or change the angle to provide more hammer camming.  All of these options have different levels of cost and modification some of which I don't want to tackle.

I learned a something about the Lyman trigger pull gauge as part of this effort.  My normal process for measuring trigger pull weights is to clamp the gun in a vice so I can focus on operating the gauge.  Normally I would stage the gauge and preload the trigger then press the "Ready" button and complete the trigger pull through hammer fall.  What I found is that when you press the "Ready" button it is zeroing the load cell and any preload put on the trigger would offset the final trigger pull weight.  I confirmed this by weighing two sets of keys, set one weighed ~2.5 oz and set two weighed ~3.9 oz.  If I preloaded the gauge with set one and pressed the "Ready" button then removed them and hung set two it showed ~1.5 oz.  So now I eliminated the preload but still stage the gauge close to the trigger and then complete the trigger pull after pressing the "Ready" button.  My trigger pull variability has dropped significantly now.

Where to test the trigger pull has a significant effect on the trigger pull.  Since the TS Orange has a flat trigger with curves on the top and bottom I tested it at the top and bottom (at the intersection of flat and curve) then averaged it all to get the mean trigger pull.

TSO Stock Trigger pull:  2.26 lb

TSO with Tanfoglio Sear Spring:  2.48 lb

TSO with Tanfoglio Sear Spring and Wolff 26 lb Main Spring:  2.69 lb

I'm done for now.  The trigger pull feels a little better.  The increased sear spring weight seems to give a more positive reset.  It is still crisp yet has a little more positive break point.

I'm going to compete with it and see how it performs.  This is my first safety model gun so I have the added challenge of starting locked n cocked.  It will be a fun first match for sure.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline IronicTwitch

Re: TS Orange Trigger Pull Modifications
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »
Good info - I hope it works for you!  Nothing but a few thousand rounds of practice and matches to make it feel "normal" to you.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 12:46:54 AM »
Interesting stuff. I just found out about the Tanfoglio Sear Spring option. Good to see some hard stats on the subject.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline IFFV68

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
Very interesting and good Info. to know.

This is the First Forum I have ever read where the Trigger Pull is too light.
Looks Like I need another CZ 75 in the future.
Good Luck on your Triggers.
We will have a Safer Country and a Safer World without Guns--Adolf Hitler--1936

Offline MuayThaiJJ

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 11:56:39 AM »
I want to do this too, what is stock hammer spring weight for the TSO? I have 17-20# on hand. I also have a Tanfo sear spring.
YouTube Channel: Nick Shoots Stuff
Diablo Rod and Gun Club
03-FFL and COE Holder
CMAT GMAU

Offline George16

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 01:49:21 PM »
I want to do this too, what is stock hammer spring weight for the TSO? I have 17-20# on hand. I also have a Tanfo sear spring.
20#

Offline MuayThaiJJ

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 03:03:03 PM »
Wow, feels a lot lighter. Like 15# compared to the 20# on my CZ75
YouTube Channel: Nick Shoots Stuff
Diablo Rod and Gun Club
03-FFL and COE Holder
CMAT GMAU

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 06:25:36 PM »
I should update this thread with my recent additions to my TSO lineup.  I went ahead and added the CGW TS hammer kits to my guns to try and increase the feel/wall before break and it is better.  Apparently my TSO1 got lighter as it has been shot quite a bit.  I replace the springs annually so I don't think it is a spring fatigue issue (trigger, main, extractor, and recoil).

TSO1 before CGW Hammer kit (with tangfolio sear spring, 26 lb hammer spring):  2.53 lb
TSO1 after CGW hammer kit (same springs):  2.81 lb

I've also added a second TSO as a backup in USPSA.  It was used when I got it and I have shot it quite a bit.  It had the more vague feeling trigger break that is improved now.  I'd still like it to be slightly heavier but the CGW hammers provide a nice wall/break point.

TSO2 after CGW hammer kit (same springs):  2.69 lb

This all was discussed in this thread not too long ago:  https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=115687.msg900155#msg900155

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline Tok36

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 07:54:50 PM »
^^So you are saying that you can now dual wield TSOs.  :)

Glad to hear that the addition is shaping up well.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 11:10:32 PM »
^^So you are saying that you can now dual wield TSOs.  :)

Glad to hear that the addition is shaping up well.
If only they'd let me in competition!  I'm sure it would be disastrous but I'd try it if I could.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

anything