Author Topic: Hammer follows slide when racking  (Read 2503 times)

Offline cheezy

Hammer follows slide when racking
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:54:06 AM »
Hello! I have a pre-B 75. I just bought it used, and haven't even shot it yet. After getting the pistol, I noticed that the hammer would drop with the slide when I was racking the slide. It does this 5 out of 10 times. Also, once in awhile, I can push on the hammer and it will drop without touching the trigger. Double action seems to work fine. I'm using an old ear plug to protect the firing pin during dry firing to protect the pistol. Any thoughts on this issue? It really doesn't look like it's been fired much at all. I called CGW, and they recommended I replace hammer, sear spring, and install adjustable sear. Almost $150 worth of parts, on a gun I already have $350 into. Kinda hard to take, for a cheap skate like me! 

SPO1SHADOW

Re: Hammer follows slide when racking
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 06:02:55 AM »
They are correct in what you need. Either the sear is chipped or broken or the hooks on the hammer are gone. Someone could have done some home gunsmithing and just cut too much of the hammer hooks away. Would you rather have the stock parts to replace with? PM me your address.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:13:14 AM »
Hello! I have a pre-B 75. I just bought it used, and haven't even shot it yet. After getting the pistol, I noticed that the hammer would drop with the slide when I was racking the slide. It does this 5 out of 10 times. Also, once in awhile, I can push on the hammer and it will drop without touching the trigger. Double action seems to work fine. I'm using an old ear plug to protect the firing pin during dry firing to protect the pistol. Any thoughts on this issue? It really doesn't look like it's been fired much at all. I called CGW, and they recommended I replace hammer, sear spring, and install adjustable sear. Almost $150 worth of parts, on a gun I already have $350 into. Kinda hard to take, for a cheap skate like me!
When buying a 30yr old surplus gun it's reasonable to expect some repair. That $150 in Cajun parts would make for a better shooter than any new gun at $500.

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
When buying a 30yr old surplus gun it's reasonable to expect some repair. That $150 in Cajun parts would make for a better shooter than any new gun at $500.

^^^^^This.  If you just want to replace with stock parts, then take up SP01Shadow on his offer.   

Offline Stuart

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:28:04 AM »
On any surplus or gun with previous owner, the worst can be expected. Which is replacing a few parts. I got stacks of factory parts.
I can send parts, or if you want to pay for shipping, I probably have a moment to install.
Just PM me

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
My Shadow was sprung very light and after 20K rds or so started having hammer follow.  I replaced all the parts they've suggested for you,  and it's like new again. 

Offline CZinTexas

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:53:24 PM »
Cheezy, if you replace the parts with OEM parts it would be much cheaper. You well have to fit the sear though, that's a lot of fun.
That's a new one on me.
I reserve the right to keep and arm Bears.

Offline cheezy

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »
Thank you all for the help. I have parts on the way, and I can't wait to get shooting. I am really impressed and grateful for finding this forum. This is my first post, and the response has been awesome!!

Offline IFFV68

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:31:04 PM »
Don't feel too bad.
I think most of us have taken a hit on a used gun, I'm sorry, a previously owned firearm.

I had a really nice looking older  Walter PPS or something, PPK in ,22L.R.
Went up in the Colorado mountains to do some shooting. First Magazine I ended going to the Hospital with a Scratch Eyeball. The Bolt was worn out.
Yep, Lost a couple bucks.
Good Luck. It sounds like the Members can help you out.
This is a Great Forum with caring members.
Thank You All.
We will have a Safer Country and a Safer World without Guns--Adolf Hitler--1936

Offline cheezy

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
Just an update..Cajun Gun Works is AWESOME!!!!

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 07:27:49 PM »
Cheezy,
How did everything turn out?

Offline cheezy

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 05:23:11 AM »
This pistol is awesome! I have an M&P, PX4 storm, P95, and the CZ makes them look sad. I've never shot as well before. I had my wife shoot, and she loved it. Still my gun though, she doesn't like the safety on it, good thing for me. I had to do a little work on the sear for the safety to work correctly, but after that, no problem. I like the commander style hammer better than the original spur. This is my new favorite pistol. A friend of mine shoots uspsa, and I'm going to shoot this during their practice. From what I can tell, I can't shoot this in the production class, due to lack of decocker? Thanks everyone for the help!

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 05:32:24 AM »
Yes, you can use that gun in Production. You will have to lower the hammer manually but it is legal. Good to hear it all turned out well.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »
All the safety model 75B's, SP01s, Shadows Etc. are production class pistols.
The rules state you must start "Fully Hammer Down".  With a safety pistol that means after loading the mag and feeding a round into the chamber,  you will lower the hammer manually and then holster. 
Practice with no ammo and this can be done safely.   

Offline MissionaryMike

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 05:51:41 PM »
I'm not sure how CGW got involved w/ resolving the issues the OP had, but it's no surprise to me they had a hand in making yet another CZ owner satisfied w/ his "new to him" firearm.  It's also no surprise SP01SHADOW and Stuart volunteered parts and install as well.  This forum is nutty friendly.  Reminds me of treating your neighbor as yourself. 

Salute, boys. /cheers

Pretty much a CZ fanboy.