Author Topic: P09 for Competition  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Iggy913

P09 for Competition
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
Ladies and Gentleman,

I've been a PCR owner for about a year now and absolutely love it. With that being said I've recently found a local club that hold "action shooting" matches, similar to IDPA and USPSA but appears even more casual. I do have both IDPA and USPSA clubs locally as well but I've yet to try them out. I've had a great deal of fun shooting the PCR in these matches however it is easy to see I might be giving up some advantage with the short sight radius, super light weight, and reduced capacity compared to others.

With all that being said I definitely want to remain in the CZ family and it seems like from reading posts here a P09 can be extremely competitive with some parts from CGW, polishing work, and some sights. The Omega trigger system appears to offer performance very close to the 75 series actions? 

Originally I was looking at a Shadow and SP01 models but it seems like the P09 would be the more budget friendly build, cheaper cost initially and the "Pro" kit from CGW for an Omega trigger is even less than a regular 75 series. This would be a competition only gun, what do you guys think, is a P09 a smart buy?

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
Re: P09 for Competition
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »
It would get my vote but I am a big fan of the P-07 ;-)

The only other model that appeals to me is the Shadow 2 but those are pretty scarce yet.
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Iggy913

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »
Other models I was considering was a 75 SAO, and the 75 Omega, those specifically for the "Standard" 75 models due to the higher upswept bevertail. I was also looking at the SP01 model, all of which I planned on putting in the Pro Package from CGW so I was thinking the trigger on them all including the P09 would be extremely close.

I was leaning towards the P09 due to the cost savings, about $100 or so on the purchase price and probably another $100 savings over the 75 series models. $200 isn't a fortune by any means and I could be persuaded to spend it if there is a significant advantage to be had by purchasing an SP01?

It just seemed like the P09 was viewed very favorably and would be a solid contender.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »
After a fellow IDPA shooter let me shoot his CZ 75 I was hooked and left my Glock and XDM behind. The CZ pointed so much better for me.
Shortly after that I had a CZ85 and after sights and a few tweaks I shot it for a good while and decided to upgrade. I bought a SP-01 and spent some time and money and made it like a Shadow and it was a super gun.

Later I bought a P-07 and shot it in IDPA and also another sport that is a cross between IDPA and USPSA and was amazed how well it shot for me.
I continued to shoot it in IDPA in the Compact Carry Division but also bought a P-09 and did a little work on it and shot it in competitions.

It actually was better for me for several reasons, I could never reach the safety on any CZ75 style gun without shifting my grip and that included two custom safties I had built so the decocker worked better for me.

Also because I am the same age as dirt the lighter P-09 swung better for me. Maybe the lighter weight. I sold the SP-01.
If you could shoot the different guns it would probably help you decide but I know that is hard to do.

Offline MissionaryMike

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
The P-09 is a great gun for many types of competition shooting.
Pretty much a CZ fanboy.

Offline Iggy913

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »
Thank you all for the help, I guess what I was looking for was something like I would t regret buying the P09 over the SP01, which is pretty much what I'm hearing. Thank you all again.

Offline benq

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »

I spent most of 2016 shooting my P-09 in competition and switch to an SP-01 for 2017. I picked up the P-09 because it costs less and easier to upgrade at home. I think both are fun to shoot and both have upgraded parts from CGW and CZC.

Offline TheGageinator

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:17 PM »
I use my stock P-09 for Shoot steel matches and IDPA. if you want to run stock, you can't beat the p-09. Throw $200 or so at it and you have an awesome shoot steel gun that put performs guns twice the price.

Offline Batt 57

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »
Another P-09 shooter here. I have a Cajunized one I use for IDPA and Outlaw 2-Gun. The stock sights on mine are fine for me but it's definitely worth it to add the CGW upgrades.
I started out shooting an Akai Custom Guns SP-01 Shadow in USPSA and can honestly say that the PO9 with upgrades is pretty darn close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 10:58:39 AM »
I shot my P09 in IDPA last season fairly successfully.  Its stock w/ exception of replacing the front sight for a FO version.  Heartily endorse the P09
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline eyetat

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »
Growing pains with load development but otherwise Cajun IPO 9 is a great competition gun

Offline Rhuiden

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:52:52 PM »
I have purchased a P-09 and changed out the sights for some Dawson Precision all black back and fiber optic front.  Looking forward to shooting this gun in IDPA this year (if tax season ever ends)

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »
If a Shadow is off the table, I'd get a P-09 or SP-01 over a 75 of some sort.   Their mag wells are easier to hit in a hurry.   
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline jsedacca

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »
Even the P09 in stock form is a great gun. Add some of schmeckys recommendations on cleaning up the action and reducing the tension on the trigger bar spring, and it becomes even better. They are definitely easier to work on than SP01s and the price point is great.

Offline Wideload

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
The difference in cost of thd gun will be further reduced once you start buying magazines for P09.  (Shooting USPSA Production  you want minimum of 5/IDPA, minimum of 3)
The extra P09 magazines run $40+ each where as you can get 16 rd MecGars for CZ75/SP01's around $20 each.
In other words get the one that fits you the best.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

A-1 Dinsintegrating Pistol
Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator

anything