Author Topic: Initial thoughts, Bersa Thunder 380 Plus...  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Cyanide

Initial thoughts, Bersa Thunder 380 Plus...
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:55:45 AM »

I like the two tone. I am curious as to how you like shooting it. It looks like my PPK/S.
Cyanide, you will love the Bersa. Flat shooting, feels great in the hand, and tons of features.
Well, from today's very quick range visit, I must say that the lil' Bersa did not disappoint. Now granted, I only had time to shoot eighty rounds, split between sixty 100gr FMJ from Freedom Munitions and then twenty Hornady 90gr XTP's, but it was enough to know that I wanna get back to the range to shoot it more (and to also get my Thunder 380 CC Model out of layaway asap). This thing is a pleasant joy to shoot!

It is very well balanced, has excellent pointability, and almost non-existent recoil. No failures of any type, and I'm not sure if it's a Bersa design trait on the .380 models or not, but upon firmly seating a loaded mag the slide will release forward, chambering a round (my Thunder 9 UC didn't do this, though my P-07 Duty does, and Grand Power P1 Mk7 did as well).

Here's the pics of the brief range visit. All grouping shots were at a (short) distance of eight yards, with exception of one target that I pushed out to twenty-five yards to see how the little .380 would do. Finally, forty shots were fired double action (marked in red), decocking after every shot, and then single action (marked in green).

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Initial thoughts, Bersa Thunder 380 Plus...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:46:21 PM »
Congratulations on your Bersa Thunder .380 Plus and good shooting!  8)  :)

I hear a lot of good things from Bersa Thunder owners and yours is no exception to that.  Were I to buy another .380, it would be between a Bersa .380 and a Beretta 84, or some such thing.

These days, my Walther PPK/S .380 is in semi-retirement, in favor of a range of 9mm Pistols.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:48:33 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:40:34 AM »
Nice shooting and good report. All this display and talk of Bersas, Berettas and Walthers in .380 has me eyeing a Hungarian (F?G AP) in .380.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
I picked up a Thunder 380 as a "2 for 1" purchase when I picked up my Ruger Single Six many years back.  The Bersa was just under $200 and I just couldn't leave it there once I held it for more than 007 seconds.  Yeah, scratchy sounding cycle, poorly finished trigger on one side, but it sure does put nice groups on paper!  I almost sold it on a couple of occasions,  but now intend to gift it to my oldest son for his fun at the range.

The Walther PPKS is a much better finished gun, but in the case my annecdotal experience shooting 2 of them, they are jam-o-mattics at 3x the price!

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:21:11 AM »
I have heard good things about the little Bersas.  Nice score!  To fill my .380 itch, I have a Beretta 85FS which I carry, along with a plethora of Makarovs, and P-83's in 9x18.  I do not feel under gunned with either round. 

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 12:03:22 PM »
I have had bersa Thunders  for years , I sold one to a  friend that would not leave me alone after shooting it, then gave my son one as  backup (police officer) now I have 2 of them.
 I don't really like the stacked model as its to thick and I can carry a 9 MM  for that thickness, mine have all been single stack.
everyone has been reliable, accurate and fun to shoot.
I generally use the Hornady 90 grain XTP as a reload in all my 380;s but the Remington 102 grain Golden Sabre really shoots nicely from the bersa and due to the guns weight and size its a really well behaved round in these pistols.
enjoy.

Offline flattusmaximus78

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »
Glad you ended up happy with the Bersa! This reminds me I need to put the CZ's down for a bit and dust off my Bersa.

You did some awesome shooting btw!

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
Thanks guys! In my own humble opinion, that shooting absolutely sucks!!!

Olfarhors, my CZ 100 is definitely slimmer down below them my Plus model, but even fully loaded the Plus is still lighter than any of my 9mm's empty. It also carries very nicely in the Crossfire Tempest holster I picked up.

I'm going to stick with the factory 90gr Hornady XTP loading for carry, as I like it's consistent gel results between ShootingTheBull410, Lucky Gunner, Pocket Guns & Gear, ScubaOz, etc. If I didn't use it, I would be going with the factory Speer Gold Dot loading.

Offline flattusmaximus78

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
Hey if it was a bad guy, he wouldn't be here to disagree with you lol.

Mine also auto forwards with and decent force of a mag.

Offline chimera8

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »
Nice shooting and good report. All this display and talk of Bersas, Berettas and Walthers in .380 has me eyeing a Hungarian (F?G AP) in .380.
I have an SMC 380 and an SMC 918. I very much recommend them. After the compulsory spring changes they have a better trigger and are lighter for carry than my PPK/S (interarms).
Dead reliable.. ;)

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
Initial thoughts, Bersa Thunder 380 Plus...
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »
I bought a BT380 and CZ83 at about the same time. The 83 was just soooooo much better for me the Bersa went away with only 100 rounds through it.

Glad you're liking your Bersa, but do try an 83 if you get the chance.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:58:05 PM by ZardozCZ »
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 07:04:38 PM »
Thanks for the report, Chimera. I should have the Hungarian by Wed. I must say, the Bersas are tempting.

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »
The old CZ 83 does sound interesting, but the Thunder Plus feels like the equivalent of an old S&W Airweight snubbie in my hand, albeit slightly heavier at 20 oz. empty but, with 16 rounds ready to go fully loaded.

anything