Author Topic: Sphinx AT2000 Questions  (Read 7772 times)

Offline porterb123

Sphinx AT2000 Questions
« on: May 24, 2006, 04:49:12 PM »
Good evening Gents. I recently gave my CZ85 Combat to my son and have looked for a replacement. I found the pistol listed above on consignment at my local dealer. ANIB, stainless frame and blued slide, fixed sights with ambi controls.Asking price is 750.00
Are parts different than the CZ and or hard to get. Mag. interchangeability? Sights?

Any thoughts or info. would be appreciated re this pistol as a replacement for my 85
Thank you
Porter

PS   The only thing I did not like were the sharp edges of the safety and slide release...needs a dehorn job

Walt-Sherrill

Sphinx AT2000 Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 05:19:20 PM »
I've two Sphinxs and two AT-84s (made by a predecessor company of the current Sphinx.)

They're fine guns, typically very accurate and very reliable.  

The Sphinxes are subtly different than the ATs; they are, in effect, bargain-priced semi-custom guns, made to much higher production standards than the low-end CZs.  The ATs seem to be made to higher standards, too, but not as  high as the Sphinxes.

The mags are interchangeable. (They can use CZ mags or EAA mags, or Tanfoglio mags, etc.)  (Pro-Mag CZ Compact mags will fit, but won't drop free; CZ factory mags seem to fit fine.) Some parts will interchange (springs, etc.); others might, depending on the part and model.

I can't speak about sights, but they don't us CZ sights.  You may have to do some measurements.  CDNN had some sights for them, recently.

Its a much better gun than the CZ-85.  (I have an 85 Combat and love it, but there's no comparison.)

Offline CTS

Sphinx AT2000 Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 04:32:20 AM »
I have the AT2000P.  I've tried some interchangeability with no luck.  Some of the CZ parts are close enough to be modified to work- I haven't tried all of them.

I called Sphinx's importer and they say they are not supporting the pistol anymore- something about the company changing hands a few years ago.  

I was able to use CZ compact mags by grinding a few thousandths off the sides on a surface grinder.  They have the notch in the follower to hold the slide back.

The bright side is that the way it's made, I doubt anything will break.  I won't shoot +p in it nor will I shoot 500 rounds a week in it.  I figure the worst is springs or maybe a firing pin or extractor which can be made.

Also, it gets attention at the range like taking a model to your prom in a Ferrari.

Offline porterb123

Sphinx AT2000 Questions
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:10:56 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I have made an offer of 600.00 for the pistol. Looked at it a little more closely yesterday. Original box with owners manual and 3 magazines....it is an AT2000S model 9mm, full size.Looks new except for a few wear marks on top of the chamber.

I did some research on the web and read that there was a problem with slide cracking on the side rail at the chamber area. Anyone else heard of this.
Also see above post with Shinx response to my email
Porter

Walt-Sherrill

Sphinx AT2000 Questions
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 08:20:23 AM »
May be correct, but there are so darned few of them, that I'd be wary of any comments that didn't come from an owner or ex-owner.   Be skeptical, in other words.

Offline LDD

Sphinx AT2000 Questions
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 10:17:14 PM »
Never heard of a Sphinx slide cracking or any other signicant problem with them.  Outstanding quality pistol in all regards.  I have a compact in .40 cal and love it.  I have replaced the slide lock lever with a CZ part and a couple of springs with CZ springs.  Some small parts interchange, most major parts do not.  Good news is you can get parts from Sphinx directly.   Phone them, get a quote, sent the money and they will mail you the parts.

LenSe

Sphinx AT2000 Questions
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 09:19:53 AM »
I bought a Sphinx AT-2000P .40 used back on New Year's Eve Day and it sure does get attention at the range! :D

It is a great gun, even more so considering what I paid for it (less than $500)! ;)

Bought Pro-Mag CZ-75 Compact mags per advice here and they work great, just tested them yesterday.

Holster worked out by bringing it to a holster dealer/friend at a gun show. Not made for it, but Don Hume Pancake H721 No. 33T fit almost perfect (when cocked and locked, thumb-break strap could stand to be relieved slightly).

Everyone who has shot this gun is most impressed with a superb trigger and real nice handling gun.

Only thing I need to do is drop some fluorescent Site-Bright into the white dots on the sights. Front sight white dot becomes bleep near invisible after a few rounds. I've done this on other guns and it works out great.