Author Topic: Max bid?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Tok36

Re: Max bid?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
"Shooters have deep pockets",  but collectors have bottomless drawers. :o

Eheh, just caught this now.  ;D
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Psyop96

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:47:33 AM by Psyop96 »

Offline bobofthedesert

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
So at the end of the day if 75% of the bidders think the CZ shortrail is worth $2k then that's what it's worth.

People need to get over the idea that they're going to find an original Short Rail for anything like that kind of money. The only way that will happen is the aformentioned garage/estate sale where the people don't know what they have. The last few on GB all went for in the neighborhood of $3.5K. Even a CZ Custom Shop repro is $2400, and that is not even a real CZ, let alone an original Short Rail.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:16:21 PM by bobofthedesert »
RIP Kevin O'Brien, USASF.

"Short-Rails Rule"

Offline Bret

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 10:20:06 PM »
A short rail CZ75 in what appears to be mint condition just went for $3,295 on GunBroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/629324259

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 11:14:17 PM »
☹️No drama tonight....not even close to the ending time; no last second counter bid. All you need is one minimum bidder. Congrats on the sale, bobofthedesert.

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 08:18:06 AM »
I'm shocked someone paid that price.

Offline bobofthedesert

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 11:57:43 AM »
You shouldn't be. Of the last 4 that sold on GB, two of them went for $3.5K, the one with an original non-numbered box/spare mag/manual for $3750 and the other one which had considerable finish wear, wood grips and a non-standard rear sight (there are Short Rails that were factory built with rear sights, a couple different varieties, this just wasn't one of them) went for $2750. Which, when you think about a CZ Custom Shop Reproduction going for $2400 is completely understandable, since it's not an original Short Rail. A reproduction will never be anything but that.

This one was not quite mint. It had a spot of wear to the blueing at the heel of the back strap, (more of a rub mark I think since there was no other wear to the blueing on the back or front strap which was flawless) a small scratch above the slide release, some edge wear at the front left of the slide and a tiny speck about an inch back of that on the top edge, all of this visible in the pics. Still very nice though and not easy to find any better, after 40 years even the best of them has picked up a flaw of some kind.

☹️No drama tonight....not even close to the ending time; no last second counter bid. All you need is one minimum bidder. Congrats on the sale, bobofthedesert.

Thank you Sir.

Save your pennies guys, Short Rails are like land, the original manufacturer isn't making any more of them.....and there's just something special about that gun. Ask anyone who owns one.

"Short-Rails Rule"

Offline bobofthedesert

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 08:02:05 PM »
And......another one. This one has a set of the original plastic grips too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/649276968

"Short-Rails Rule"

Offline Bret

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
I wonder if that pistol has the original finish.  The seller didn't say so and the dings in the wood grips indicate more use than the finish shows.  Of course I might be looking too closely.  Nice pistol regardless.

Offline bobofthedesert

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
The finish is original. It may be hard to tell in pictures, but when you eyeball in person it's not difficult at all. There's some douche bag in New Hampshire (not implying you are him, you are too well mannered) who always likes to PM me off GB to imply that whichever Short Rail I happen to be selling looks like a reblue.... they never are.....

I completely agree with you that the wood grips show more wear/dings than the finish of the gun. There's no way to tell for certain why that is but a very educated guess would be that they didn't spend most of their service life on that gun. A lot of these guns are estate sales and it's no longer possible to ask. You would not hide the equivalent amount of handling marks to the metal with a reblue. I share many people's dislike of the wood grips (especially this style) and that's why I decided to offer a set of the original plastic grips with the gun.

On another but related subject:

I don't know how many of you knew, or knew of Kevin O'Brien who ran a blog called weaponsman.com. He was a career US Army Special Forces "weaponsman", retired. He was also a huge student of Czech firearms, (he spoke the language courtesy of his military training and service with 10th SFG in Germany) especially pistols, and was in the process of writing a book about that subject. I had only within the last year discovered his blog but I had been lucky enough to talk with him on the phone a couple times and email with him semi-regularly, I sent him my fairly extensive pics file of Short Rails for research purposes or to use as he saw fit in that endeavor. Unfortunately he recently passed away suddenly and so that effort will in all probability never see fruition, if it did it would certainly not be quite the same as if he had completed it himself. His death is a great loss to all of us with any interest in CZ pistols, if he'd finished it that book would have been the preeminent work on the subject. According to his brother Brandon the blog will be maintained in his memory, but I would urge all who have interest to visit the blog and read his works for themselves, permanence on the web is never guaranteed.

RIP Kevin.

"Short-Rails Rule"

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 01:41:54 AM »
I saw where "weaponsman" had recently posted on this forum and suddenly we lost him. I also wasn't aware of his blog then and will look through it. Such a lost and a remarkable career and service.

It appears that unfortunately, we have reached the time when many original owners of the early CZ-75s will start passing their acquisitions into their estates. I have a very early Pre-B from an estate sale with so many questions....how was it acquired, why was it seemingly parkerized, how did it get a non-matching ser. no. barrel, what is the alpha (RA)-numeric combination pressed into the slide, etc.?

Offline bobofthedesert

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
Just the Short Rail and Pre-B sections alone of Kevin's book would have been a massive eye opener for most, sight variations, factory two tone, grip variations, etc.. Such a loss. Among this and other endeavors, he and his brother were building an airplane in the garage. If there was ever a man taken too soon who had so much left to do, it was him. His untimely death has been a real eye-opener/wake-up call for me personally. There's a lot of stuff we think is important day to day that just isn't.

If you are over 50 and have not had a complete and thorough cardiac evaluation, you are wrong......another good friend of mine had a mild (if there is such a thing) heart attack 2 weeks ago and was lucky enough to survive....skinny non-smoker, yet had a 70% blockage. "Easily fixed" with a catheter removal of the blockage and installation of a stent. He got to watch the whole thing on the monitor as they did it. He was back at work 3 days later. Big dietary changes from now on of course. No red meat, butter, cheese, fried foods. ("How badly do you want to live?") A lot of this stuff can be addressed very successfully, but you gotta know about it to have that done, otherwise you are rolling the dice. Someone (and their family) is gonna come up snake eyes, don't let it be you. Heart attacks kill as many women in their 50's as men, get your wife checked out too. Or don't, depending on your situation...... ;-)

"Short-Rails Rule"

Offline bobofthedesert

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 11:18:34 PM »
Price drop on the listing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/651549590

"Short-Rails Rule"

Offline bobofthedesert

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 01:14:01 AM »