Author Topic: Sphinx AT-2000P Mags & Holsters Availability?  (Read 7687 times)

LenSe

Sphinx AT-2000P Mags & Holsters Availability?
« on: January 25, 2006, 09:42:18 AM »
I am new to this forum, having found it from a search on the CZ sub-forum at AR15.com. I searched this forum for Sphinx and found some info, but not precisely what I was looking for, so here goes my questions . . .

- Mags: Which CZ or CZ-clone mags might fit the Sphinx AT-2000P .40S&W? Approx mag dimensions are: 0.803" wide at bottom, 1.344" deep at bottom and 4.457" from top to bottom of the mag tube at the rear.

[Note: Some older messages here mention mags for the some other letter variants, but the gun heights are different for those models. Height of the AT-2000P is 4.96" according to the manual.]

- Holsters: Which models of IWB or OWB (that have reinforcement to hold open for re-holstering) holsters might fit this particular CZ clone?

I spotted this gem for a very low price at a local gun shop and snapped it up New Year's Eve Day, fired it on New Year's Day . . . it is real sweet.

I have been in correspondence via Email with the President of Sphinx in Switzerland. He advises that nobody else's mags will fit (I'm hoping that with a Dremel this might not be 100% true). The factory has mags, but they are "implements of war" and he can't bring them with him and sell them in the States (he'll be at the Shot Show). They will be showing off a new model and setting up distribution in the US soon.

The shape of my model is not quite the same as the genuine CZ so I'm not sure if the high quality holsters for CZ (e.g. like the C-Tac, etc. will really fit the gun).

Anyone have any personal knowledge in this area?

[NOTE: Since no CZs are "approved" for sale in the PRM, none of the dealers carry mags or holsters for any CZs to try out. Heading out to a gun show on Saturday, but don't have a lot of faith in finding anything (other than maybe USA mags ).]

TIA

Offline LDD

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 12:18:45 PM »
From the dimension you gave for the mag length I believe you have .40 cal 10+1 compact?  

I have a Sphinx 2000P compact in .40 cal and have had a full size that I worked on for a friend.  You have several choices (BTW, the President of Sphinx should pull his nose out of his ass, he doesn't know what he is talking about.  Obviously no other mags will fit because they are inferior to his mags):  

1.  The pre-B CZ mags fit perfectly. Of course there are no pre-B .40 cal mags but the 9mm mags are easily converted by taking about .020" off each feed lip (that gives 1mm wider gap).  Some will say this is not necessary but imho it allows the top round to sit a bit higher and they feed better.  If a wider gap were not better I doubt CZ, Sphinx, et. al., would waste their time making their's that way.   My Sphinx came with a .40 cal mag in the gun and the spare mag in the box (not marked .40 cal) turned out to be a Sphinx 9mm.  I widened the feed lips 1mm to match the .40 and I can't tell the difference looking at them under a magnifier nor in function.  

2.  I have also used the Pro-Mag .40 cal mags for a CZ.  They fit perfectly and function fine in a Sphinx.  They are heat treated very well, have good springs and have worked fine for me althought I don't rate them as well as CZ factory mags or Mec-Gars.  

3.  CDNN used to have 2000P mags but they don't show them available for the P any longer.  I bought some of these.  

4.  Best for last:   Mec-Gar now has .40 cal CZ mags available.  They are superb quality and I have read that they also make the CZ factory mags.  I just went down and pulled my Sphinx .40 out of the safe and tried a new Mec-Gar .40 cal CZ mag.  The fit was perfect.  Fits the mag well perfectly with no slop, clicks right in nicely on the mag release, no interference on the slide, couldn't be better.  I would say it is a better quality mag than the factory Sphinx mag and fits better too.  I paid about $20-22 each for my new Mec-Gar's but I heard Midway sells them for $18 plus shipping.  

BTW, a lot of CZ small parts will fit the Sphinx.  I have replaced the slide lock and retainer spring with CZ parts for example.  I also replaced the steel mag baseplates with CZ-40B polymer baseplates.  They match the front of the grip frame fine and give a bit longer grip and the little finger has a good grip instead of that sheetmetal sticking me right in the center of the finger.  Pic of the Sphinx with the 40B baseplate on the mag.  

Offline LDD

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 12:48:39 PM »
Those are also CZ-75 Compact grips on the pistol.  Word of warning, be extremely careful with the grip screws.  They are a M3.5x.35 screw.  The standard metric thread is .5 or .6mm pitch (coarse or fine), the .35 thread pitch is only used in clocks, and other special applications.  These screws are made for Sphinx specifically for their pistols.  You will not find them anywhere in the world...I tried.  Wound up getting new screws from Sphinx in Switzerland...cost is prohibitive and they normally do not sell parts to the USA.  I went through Woverine Supply, an authorized Canadian importer.  The thread is so fine it is easily stripped by a burr on the tapped hole in the frame (my experience), etc.  Sphinx used the ultra-fine thread because the thickness of the frame tab for the screw hole is extremely thin.  They needed the ultra fine thread to get 3 threads engaged.  

For holsters CZ holsters will generall work, especially if they are molded for the ambidextrous models.  If the holster is tight you might need to let it stretch to fit the thicker Sphinx slide but I haven't had any problems.  I just drop'er in my CZ holster.

LenSe

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:04:01 PM »
LDD,

Thanks a million for the info!

I see the mags at Midway. Now the only problem is that they are "no ban" and I live in a state that has a permanent duplicate of the Fed mag ban (no expired). Although I am LE, I don't really want restricted mags since my Wife also shoots and she is not LE. Worst case, I could probably put a block in the mag and make it a permanent 10 rd mag (unless one were to disassemble it).

Thanks for the confirmation on the holsters too. I wonder if CZ75 Kydex would work as well . . . but if in doubt, leather is much more forgiving.

Thanks again!

Offline LDD

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 01:52:53 PM »
If you have the compact like mine you can only get 10 rounds of .40 cal in the mags.  If you have a full size (?) I would get someone out of state to take delivery of the mags and mail them to you and then put a block in them or something if that is an issue.  I don't know if a block would be legal.  Personally I know what I would do.  My mom in Missouri used to buy a lot of mags over 10 rd capacity when I lived in CA.  ;)

Probably the best alternative if you have a full-size and want to stick with 10 rounders is to buy some CZ factory 10 round mags for the CZ-75 .40 cal pistol.  Get the ones that have a solid mag body without the "saw-cuts" as I call them.  I would buy one to make sure it fits ok and go from there.  I just sold some as I replaced them with Mec-Gar 12 rounders.  

LenSe

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 02:12:01 PM »
On the mags, good idea.

My gun is identical to the one you posted (picture). So, I guess it is the CZ "compact" equivalent?

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 05:23:32 PM »
Interesting.  My AT2000PSDA (DAO) is a semi-compact.

It has a shorter slide but full-size grip.  Came with a 16-round full-size mag.

LenSe

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 07:31:23 PM »
Walt,

Very nice. I think that they created a lot of variants by "mix 'n matching" parts. :D

Offline LDD

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 10:05:51 PM »
Since your pistol is the Compact like mine I would recommend Mec-Gar's for the CZ-75 Compact.  They are 10 rounds so you are ok in the PRM.  The Mec-Gar's I purchased for my full size .40 cal CZ's are some of the best mags I have seen.

Nice pistol Walt, I haven't seen too many of those.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 06:46:26 AM »
Where have you found Mec-Gars for the 75 Compact?

As far as I know, they (Mec-Gar) don't  make mags for the compact.  

If you are right (and didn't mean to write "Pro-Mag"), some folks here are going to be celebrating.

Offline LDD

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 10:10:15 PM »
I made an assumption (what was it that the drill sargent said, "don't assume a bleep thing") that Mec-Gar also made Compact mags.  You are so right, they don't.  

That being the case the next best thing would be CZ factory mags for the Compact.  Pro-Mags are good too for a second choice, I just don't like the polymer basepads but if you call Pro-Mag they will give you some sheetmetal baseplates with your mags.  I can't recall the guy's name that runs Pro-Mag but he is a hell of a good guy.  He has thrown in extra baseplates, followers, and springs if I asked for them.

Offline Silentbob343

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 01:14:42 AM »
Is it possible to purchase those base plates individually?

LenSe

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 09:06:46 AM »
Many thanks for the great advice here!

Ordered and received Pro-Mag CZ-75 Compact .40 mags ~1 month ago. Due to business committments and a bought with pneumonia, yesterday was the first opportunity to check the mags out. Worked great.

Thanks again!