Author Topic: M1 Garand shopping, could use some advice.  (Read 637 times)

Online Earl Keese

M1 Garand shopping, could use some advice.
« on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:57 PM »
As the thread title indicates, I'd like to add a Garand to my safe this year. To put it simply though, I'm a little intimidated. Can anyone here provide some insight? I found a SA here locally for $995(asking). It has a 1943 receiver with a 1966 barrel. Wood is a little rough but the metal is in nice shape. Store owner says it's a bit better than service grade.

Offline eastman

Re: M1 Garand shopping, could use some advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
Garands typically are going to start in the $900-1000 range and go up from there. A lot of WWII rifles were re-barrelled either right after the war, during the Korean War, or during the late 50s/early 60s. Some were re-chambered in 7.62x51 for Navy use.

If you buy, make sure you get a few of the en bloc clips. They aren't that bad to load, but it does take a little practice. There are good videos on YouTube showing different methods.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Redcat94

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »
I got mine from CMP last year for $1030. That got me a refinished 1945 SA receiver with post war rear sight, a new Criterion barrel and new stock.  I think  $995 is probably the cheapest you're going to find an M1 today. It's usually recommended not to shoot modern commercial .30-06 due to the difference in pressure between it and what the M1 gas system was originally designed for. You'll need to reload, buy surplus, or buy modern ammunition designed specifically for the M1. I know Hornady makes a cartridge for the M1 that's safe to shoot.

CMP offers both a gunsmithing service and holds an armorers course.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:00:02 AM by Redcat94 »

Online Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think this gun may be a mid 60's arsenal rebuild. I'm only a couple hours from the CMP South Store. Ive been planning a visit but haven't made it yet. I keep hearing stories about people lining up before the store opens and grabbing the few service grade rifles off the shelf. Unfortunately I don't make gun buying decisions that quickly. I also reload, so that won't be a problem. I've been reading about Garands all night, fever is starting to set in.

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »
Ammo specifically designed for the M1 Garand is sold by American Eagle and PPU. I personally feed my M1 the PPU version.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline bang bang

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »
many people waited too long and dont want to spend the $$ on one now.

So jump on it before its too late.

buy once, cry once.

and have fun.

Offline copemech

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:57:35 PM »
I allways wanted one until I figured out just how big and heavy they are, and they are not cheap to shoot or maintain. Same for the M14, cost a lot and are not really all that accurate without a lot of work. One can spend till the cows come home on these things.

I will stick to my WUS gun, the Mini-14, it just works.  O0

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:09:40 AM »
Yea I really want one, but the prices are just jumping up so much, can't justify buying one. Perhaps I'll find one to rent some day.

Online Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:55:26 AM »
I allways wanted one until I figured out just how big and heavy they are, and they are not cheap to shoot or maintain. Same for the M14, cost a lot and are not really all that accurate without a lot of work. One can spend till the cows come home on these things.

I will stick to my WUS gun, the Mini-14, it just works.  O0
I find the weight to be appealing in a way. I have other guns for other purposes such as an AR for coyote hunting, and a Winchester M70 for larger game. I started out looking at M1A's, but squeezing accuracy out of them is big $$. To me, large groups from a new gun aren't acceptable. From an old war horse though, minute of pumpkin is good enough to keep me happy. I've enjoyed my VZ24 much more than I expected, even when I'm not shooting it I like to take it out and handle it. Sounds corny, but I even like the way it smells. The Garand is a special weapon and they hold their value better than most. Some of the appeal is the research and hunt for a good example. I figure, they won't be getting cheaper so I might as well grab one now.

Online Earl Keese

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
Yea I really want one, but the prices are just jumping up so much, can't justify buying one. Perhaps I'll find one to rent some day.
No need to rent, just make more shooting friends. There's always somebody that wants to share the milsurp experience. That's part of the fun. Careful though, like CZ's, they're habit forming.

Offline Shooter1911

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
I wanted an M1 Garand after growing up hearing my father and uncles talk about them. Finally got one a few years ago at CMP. Do not remember the price but it was under a grand. Love it. New barrel on a 1943 action with new black walnut. Spent a few hours finishing the wood with oil. Looks great and shoots great. Maybe now that we have an America first president we will see the million M1s that Obama left languishing in Korea. If you see a nice M1, buy it. You will not regret it. :D

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:13:18 PM »
My first.  I got lucky.  Ordered a field grade M1 from the CMP and got a Dec. 44 SA with the original barrel.  When I stripped the old oil/grease/dirt off the stock the wood was too darn pretty to hide under some more stain/oil.  I put polyurethane on it to show off the color/grain.  It shoots pretty good, but since it's mostly original I don't shoot it much.

The one I shoot is a Greek rack grade return rifle.  The rifle was bouncing around in a European Beech stock that wouldn't take stain/oil in the white/light spots characteristic of that wood so I put it in a cheap ($50) Ramline plastic stock.  This is one good shooting rifle.  After shooting it I retired my M1A to the gun safe.  Just no comparison in group size.

Along with these two I've gotten a couple other SA's from 42 and 43 (both with replaced barrels).  I've also got three H&R's from the early to mid 50's.

I got mine back when you could walk into the CMP stores (when to the North Store twice) and walk up and down the rows of rifles (03's, 03A3's, too) and the guys that worked there would come out and go through the rifles with you and help you pick what you wanted (pretty or great barrel condition - maybe you could get both, sometimes).  That rack grade Greek return rifle looked pretty bad, but has a 1953 LMR barrel on it (one of the best barrels ever put on an M1 Garand).

I see lots of M1's at the local gun shows.  None as cheap as they were at the CMP 12 to 13 years ago.

The CMP web site has links to other forums/web sites with a lot of M1 information/advice.

Good luck with your search.  I'll be splitting mine up with my kids.  I've already gifted three of them out to the boys.  The rest will go to them, some day.

Oh, I hear a couple of the reloading manuals (don't remember if it was Hornady or Sierra) have M1 Garand specific load section for interested reloaders.

IMR 4895 and 150 grain bullets is a good place to start.  I've used a lot of commercial 30.06 brass in mine, never any issues.  A lot of folks shoot the 168 grain match bullets, too.  Some guys like IMR3031, some like IMR 4064, and most seem to use IMR4895.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Online Earl Keese

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:39:21 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the enabling as well. M1AA4ME, I figured you had at least a couple.  ;)

Offline MontanaCZ

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 01:58:51 PM »
When I had mine, I reloaded the 150gr and 173gr match bullets.  Powder was either 4895 or 2520. Still kicking myself for having to sell that rifle.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »
You know something about M1 Garands?  When you hold one in your hands you may be holding on to one that some young GI carried through WW2 (if it's a WW2 era M1 - SA or Win.  The H&R and Int. Harv. rifles came along during/after Korea).  A rifle he depended on to get him "through it" and home safely.  A rifle that was used to insure the survival of freedom and democracy (in the US anyway).  You're holding on to history. 

Take good care of it because at one time, it took good care of a young American Soldier or Marine.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.