Author Topic: M1 Garand shopping, could use some advice.  (Read 743 times)

Offline bang bang

Re: M1 Garand shopping, could use some advice.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »
thats one of the reasons i have mine.

its a piece of history.

Offline IFFV68

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
M-1 Grande is an excellent Rifle.

The last one I shot was at the Dump outside of Pleiku in the Central Highlands, Vietnam.
Looked like a Vietnamese Civilian, could of been a V.C., Who knows. I asked to shoot it and emptied the Clip shooting in the air.
This M-1 was not refinished or rebuilt. The Stock was beat up and the blueing was about 40%.
The story is you don't have to find a newer one that looks pretty. When a older one will do the same thing.
We will have a Safer Country and a Safer World without Guns--Adolf Hitler--1936

Offline Diamondbackmike2004

• Shooters assume the firing position
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
I wouldn't fuss too much when it comes to the type of ammo. I would put a Schuster plug on your garand. I have one and don't have issues with any ammo.

http://www.schustermfg.com/m1-garand-adjustable-gas-plug/
I might know what im talking about....but today, I don't.....

MP2 Guy

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 08:25:46 PM »
I picked up an HRA 1954-made example from CMP several years ago and was very please.  It was delivered to my door.  Just don't expect speedy service unless you go to one of their two stores.

Offline Tucktuck

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
I love the M1 Garand.  I currently have 4 in the safe.  Just sold off my 5th rifle locally over the weekend.  All of mine are originally from the CMP.  I have a pre-war, 2 WWII era, and a post war (41, 43, 44, 56).  As a few other posters commented, there is just something about holding one of these in your hands and imagining where it may have been and who may have held it.  Now that I sold one of my Garands, I'm on a quest to find a decent priced and good shooting 03 / 03A3 ;)
CZ75 Pre-B; CZ75 Transitional-B; CZ75B Matte Stainless
CZ P07
CZ 97BD
CZ 1911A1
CZ82 (x2)

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
I was reloading for mine over the weekend.  GI brass (though I use commercial brass as well), CCI large rifle primers, IMR4895 and Hornady 150 grain FMJBT bullets.

I sorted out (after resizing, trimming and priming) the following cases.  I have to wonder where they've been since the original rounds were made/loaded and how many times they've been reloaded.

WRA 57 (3) - Winchester Repeating Arms Co. in CT

SL 54 (2) - St. Louis Ordnance Plant in MO

SL 43 - St. Louis Ordnance Plant in MO

LC 42 - Lake City Ordnance Plant in MO

LC 43 (2) - Lake City Ordnance Plant in MO

FA 54 - Frankford Arsenal in PA

FA 43 - Frankford Arsenal in PA

Looks like the oldest is about 75 years old.

I reloaded quite a bit of LC 68 and 69 brass.  Old, but not as old as the ones listed above.

The rifles and the ammo/components are still going strong long after the people and plants that made them are gone.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

anything