Author Topic: no worries FYI  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Johncz9mm

no worries FYI
« on: February 18, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
So I decided to buy the PCR. As we know, this has an aluminum frame. I saw a guy on you-tube bashing all aluminum frame guns claiming that they crack. ( Old M-9's) I think he was a bit of a moron. Anyway, the moron provoked me to investigate other applications for this type of aluminum and this is what I found:
"Applications: Aircraft fittings, gears and shafts, fuse parts, meter shafts and gears, missile parts,
regulating valve parts, worm gears, keys, aircraft, aerospace and defense applications; bike
frames, all terrain vehicle (ATV) sprockets."
It came from this website: http://www.crpmeccanica.com/PDF/aluminium-7075-t6-7075-t651.pdf
Other websites say the same thing.
Read that list of applications. I know a guy who designs missiles and the testing they do on materials is insane. If the aluminum is good enough for a missile, I think it will be fine for a 9mm.
John

Offline Chrisbritt15

Re: no worries FYI
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
Well put. I believe the advancement in metal should leave no one to worry

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »
Believe it.  Al has been used successfully on millions of  gun frames for quite some time now.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »
I've had several aluminum framed pistols in the past, and never had a problem, and that includes a couple Beretta's..  The frame issue with Beretta's (at least the one I know of) stems from them thinking they could jump on the .40 bandwagon back in the day, by simply putting a .40 caliber slide on a 9mm frame. ( at the time, they weren't the only ones guilty of that, either) problem was, while the chamber pressures the .40 & 9mm developed were close to each other, the one thing nobody took into consideration, or simply overlooked, was the slide velocity's between the two calibers, which were quite different. With the Beretta, the dustcover would crack after about 5k rounds. My understanding is, that they eventually got it fixed, but too little to late.. And the Beretta Mod.96 was the red-haired step child of the Beretta world.. I was never a.40 cal fan anyway, and honestly, I don't give a aluminum frame a second thought.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:20:24 PM by badwrench »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
Nearly 10k rnds through my PCR and you can see any appreciable wear. Can't believe this tired old aluminum frame debate is still out there when so many firearm frames are made today from PLASTIC and it works just fine too.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:18:32 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline badwrench

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
Can't believe this tired old aluminum frame debate is still out there when so many firearm frames are made today from PLASTIC!

I know, crazy isn't it?

Offline Pops1911

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 10:01:34 PM »
I have an aluminum framed 1911 45acp. It has run forever with no problems. I personally prefer aluminum over "plastic". No offense intended.
If you find yourself in a fair gunfight, your tactics stink!

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 01:17:09 AM »
Although... material use in missiles might not be the best example. They are used only once, after all.

Offline IFFV68

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:06:31 PM »
There is nothing wrong with Aluminum Alloy  Firearms receivers, Grips frames etc.
Sig uses Aluminum Alloy's on their P238, P239, P229, Etc. They are not inexpensive hand guns.
This is my first CZ hand gun and I was surprised they use Polymer Guide  Rods. They seem to work for thousands of rounds.
If I'm correct my M-16 Lower and Upper and the twenty round Colt Magazines in Vietnam were Aluminum  Alloy. 7075T??

Metallurgy, Aluminum Alloys, Steel have come a long way inn the last few years..
I believe CCW's  are becoming more common and excepted by most States The Firearm Manufactures are trying to lighten the load for CCW?
This does not Represent Union or Management.

We will have a Safer Country and a Safer World without Guns--Adolf Hitler--1936

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
Many years ago (many) the Colt Commander was an aluminum framed gun (Combat Commander was the steel framed version).  They had a reputation for cracking at the slide stop hole in the frame.  Why?  I have no idea.  Machined slightly "off", too light of a recoil spring?, who knows.  Lot's of stuff in the gun magazines about issues with them.  Not all of them, but enough that it was recognized and written about.

Plastic has for "give" in it than aluminum.  It can flex/stretch more.  Maybe that helps with them not cracking.

I just have one aluminum framed pistol, my P01 Urban Gray.  I'll probably never put enough rounds through it to matter.

I do read, on this forum, about CZ's breaking slide stops.  I've not had it happen, yet, and don't want the fun of that.  But maybe, in the CZ design, the slide stop is the "weak link" and takes the punishment vs. the frame itself.  A lot smarter to break a $35 (??) slide stop than a $200 plus frame.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:08:27 AM by M1A4ME »
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline IFFV68

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »
CZ, Sig and others use Aluminum  Alloys.  They are Well tested.
We will have a Safer Country and a Safer World without Guns--Adolf Hitler--1936

Offline Garmanarnar

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »
The polycoat finish doesn't adhere to the aluminum frames as well as the steel frames and it will chip and flake rather than scratch, but there's nothing fragile about CZ's aluminum frames. Don't worry.