Author Topic: High mount rings CZ 455  (Read 3046 times)

Offline EddieE

High mount rings CZ 455
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:37:48 PM »
I have been reading that the high mount rings are a must for the CZ 455, otherwise the scope touches the bolt handle. Doesn't that put the scope too high on the bore axis?

I have also seen alot of people using the dovetail to picatinny mount that you can get from dip. With this added height, do you still need a high scope mount or can you get away with a medium?

Finally, is the picatinny mount really needed? I can see its usefulness with higher power rounds, but with a 22 that hardly recoils, wouldn't the dovetail be enough to securely hold the scope?

Offline painter

Re: High mount rings CZ 455
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:03:34 PM »
Medium rings will work for many scopes, except the ones with ocular lenses as big as the objective. Nikon scopes have large ocular lenses and can be a problem.

You don't 'need' a rail.

What scope are you considering?
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline EddieE

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »
I have a tiny scope I used for my airgun that I will put on for now (Leapers 6x32 bugbuster, VERY clear compared to some other cheap scopes). I also have some cheaper mounts that I could put on there just to get me to the range and play a little, till I settle on a set up that I want.

I was thinking about getting a nice scope though, maybe a leupold. Really like them and have a VX3 on my Rem 700. Rings from what I hear would be Talley or Warne. I'm not set on anything though.

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 06:29:09 AM »
I have Warne 7.3/22 QD medium rings on a Leupold 4x rimfire on my FS. Works for me.

Lots of people like the Burris rings with the inserts which require the J&P adapters.

With the 32mm objective medium rings should be fine as far as barrel clearance. Bolt clearance is all about ocular size. If the scope is under 12 inches long it should fit behind the rear sight.

but not the ability.

Offline EddieE

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:42:41 PM »
I have Warne 7.3/22 QD medium rings on a Leupold 4x rimfire on my FS. Works for me.

Lots of people like the Burris rings with the inserts which require the J&P adapters.

With the 32mm objective medium rings should be fine as far as barrel clearance. Bolt clearance is all about ocular size. If the scope is under 12 inches long it should fit behind the rear sight.

Thanks. My concern about the dip base (and any base that works by using set screws) is that it the set screws by the nature and function dig into the action and likely leaving marks and damaging the bluing.

Any concern there? dip emailed me and said I could you a shotgun shell plastic put into the set screw hole to eliminate metal to metal contact.

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:19:38 PM »
I think what DIP was referring to was putting a piece of lead shot in the screw hole, not plastic. The lead will protect the dovetail.

QD rings will scuff the finish, but don't leave metal scars. I'm not that worried about it.

Why not use the J&P adapters and Burris rings?

but not the ability.

Offline EddieE

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
I think what DIP was referring to was putting a piece of lead shot in the screw hole, not plastic. The lead will protect the dovetail.

QD rings will scuff the finish, but don't leave metal scars. I'm not that worried about it.

Why not use the J&P adapters and Burris rings?

Thanks for the clarification. I have no opinion either way on the burris rings. I know nothing about them. ... But, I will look into them. Are these the ones you are talking about? https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/#!/CZ-11mm-to-WEAVER-SCOPE-RAIL-ADAPTERS/p/72157596/category=20995123

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:34:41 PM by EddieE »

Offline painter

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
Yes. You use those adapters with the Burris Sig Zee rings.

The rings have plastic inserts that perform a bunch of functions besides protecting the scope from ring marks. The inserts come in moa ranges that can correct either elevation issues, or windage issues. That can help keep the scope closer to the center of its adjustment, or allow for long range work.

but not the ability.

Offline EddieE

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »
Yes. You use those adapters with the Burris Sig Zee rings.

The rings have plastic inserts that perform a bunch of functions besides protecting the scope from ring marks. The inserts come in moa ranges that can correct either elevation issues, or windage issues. That can help keep the scope closer to the center of its adjustment, or allow for long range work.

Doesn't that plastic insert dry rot over time and cause problems?

Offline painter

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »
Define...over time.

In my experience, plastic doesn't dry rot. Some plastics used to be UV sensitive, or sensitive to ozone. The adapters are made out of Delrin, which is pretty much forever. I'm not sure what the Burris inserts are made of, but it isn't like you're going to leave them out in the sun, or put them in an electric motor room.

Where'd you hear that rubbish? You been reading on the net again? ;D

I understand the love of walnut and blue steel, but these are parts that won't move. Plastic is the perfect material.

but not the ability.

Offline EddieE

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »
Define...over time.

In my experience, plastic doesn't dry rot. Some plastics used to be UV sensitive, or sensitive to ozone. The adapters are made out of Delrin, which is pretty much forever. I'm not sure what the Burris inserts are made of, but it isn't like you're going to leave them out in the sun, or put them in an electric motor room.

Where'd you hear that rubbish? You been reading on the net again? ;D

I understand the love of walnut and blue steel, but these are parts that won't move. Plastic is the perfect material.

I read too much and not the good stuff....I read it in a review somewhere.

Offline painter

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 07:54:15 PM »
The real bonus of the Burris system is that the inserts can be mixed and matched to give the same effect as a +40 moa rail. They can also be used to compensate for poorly machined dovetails.

The J&P adapters also give you some increased height for bolt clearance

Look into that before you decide that plastic is the wrong material.

but not the ability.

Offline EddieE

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 03:44:42 PM »
Got my gun set up. Couple of observations on the Burris Signature Zee rings. They were infuriating! I could not rotate the scope to level it even with the screws backed out 95% of the way. I literally had to lift the scope up and turn it. I can see how these rings are rock solid with the inserts.

The jnp adapters slid down the dovetail perfectly. They are high quality, well made adapters. Let's see how they perform. I installed an old scope I had laying around. I don't want to skimp on the scope, so saving money for a high quality scope. The high end scope will eventually reside on a long range target gun, so I don't want to rush and get something.

Very windy and cold here....so not sure when I will get out to the range.

Thanks for the help picking out accessories for my new gun. As a result of this gun, I ended up buying a few things that I can use for other home gun tinkering.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:48:43 PM by EddieE »