Author Topic: Aimpoint - lower 1/3 cowitness, anyone?  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Hutehund

Aimpoint - lower 1/3 cowitness, anyone?
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
Am I searching for a unicorn?  I don't want to give up the Scorpion sights.  They're good quality, effective, and perfect for my eyes on my SBR.  There must be a base that will allow a lower 1/3 cowitness with these sights and an Aimpoint Micro.  Has anyone tried this -  LaRue Tactical LT661 Aimpoint Micro Mount?  It looks promising, but I'd prefer not to experiment if there's a known solution.  It doesn't have to be a QR mount.  Has anyone found the perfect Scorpion iron/Aimpoint Micro lower 1/3 cowitness setup?
Take responsibility for your actions.

Offline mauikiteman

Re: Aimpoint - lower 1/3 cowitness, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:28:02 AM »
I installed the Vortex Optics Venom red dot sight 1X3 MOA ($229 Midway) and would highly recommend.

You can set up for co-witness with the iron sights, however I found that a lower-third co-witness works much better for me (red dot sits higher and unobstructed from the front sight).  Target acquisition is much quicker due to the less cluttered sight picture.  But I could still use the iron sights if needed.

Offline Rick53

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
Am I searching for a unicorn?  I don't want to give up the Scorpion sights.  They're good quality, effective, and perfect for my eyes on my SBR.  There must be a base that will allow a lower 1/3 cowitness with these sights and an Aimpoint Micro.  Has anyone tried this -  LaRue Tactical LT661 Aimpoint Micro Mount?  It looks promising, but I'd prefer not to experiment if there's a known solution.  It doesn't have to be a QR mount.  Has anyone found the perfect Scorpion iron/Aimpoint Micro lower 1/3 cowitness setup?
I had an extra T2 so I installed it on a Low mount. IMO the highest you'd want on the scorpion is Absolute CW. I've mount My Absolute CW I use on My Tavor on the EVO with the Magpul Z Stock and it works pretty good. So either Low or ACW would be my suggestion

Offline cocowheats

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 10:51:29 AM »
I installed the Vortex Optics Venom red dot sight 1X3 MOA ($229 Midway) and would highly recommend.

You can set up for co-witness with the iron sights, however I found that a lower-third co-witness works much better for me (red dot sits higher and unobstructed from the front sight).  Target acquisition is much quicker due to the less cluttered sight picture.  But I could still use the iron sights if needed.

I like Vortex for the price but an Aimpoint is a much higher quality optic. I would not downgrade from an Aimpoint to a Chinese optic just for lower 1/3 cowitness.

Offline Valk

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
The stock Aimpoint LRP mount works just fine in a lower 1/3rd cowitness-ish config. It's probably a bit closer to full cowitness than lower 1/3rd, but it works fine for me.

Offline Hutehund

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »
I have a Burris Fastfire, very similar to the Vortex Venom on a 12 gauge.  I also have a Vortex Sparc II on my AK.  The Scopion is getting an Aimpoint.  I appreciate your replies, and I'll give the Aimpoint LRP mount a try.  Thanks again  :)
Take responsibility for your actions.

Offline ftownkev

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »
Doesn't Geissele make a lower 1/3rd co-witness mount

Offline Valk

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »
Doesn't Geissele make a lower 1/3rd co-witness mount

Most lower 1/3rd cowitness mounts are designed to do so with AR-height irons. Most of the time you're looking at "low" mounts to do cowitness with stuff like HK/CZ long rifles, AKs, etc., as their stock irons sit much lower.

Offline Gnfghtr

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
How high does a low mount raise up the red dot? I have a TRS-25 and bought a 1/2inch riser that is too much. 

I would looking for a 1/3 cowitness

Offline Vic8787

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »

Aimpoint HL-1 and it does fine for me. Sorry pics aren't the best.

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »
Also interested.  I want to use a holosun 503G with the ACSS reticle that has BDC hashes.  Those would be obscured by the irons if it's sighted in POI on the irons.  That and I just completely prefer a chevron to a dot because it's a finer aiming point. 

Need a mount that gets the Aimpoint/style optic up a hair above the sight plane of an absolute co-witness of the irons.

Do we know the exact height of the CZ irons so we can math this?  I have a Scorpion inbound and I want to fire off a few more orders so the toys start arriving shortly after.

If a low mount is absolute.  I'm thinking you need about a 1/4" to a 1/3" to get the lower 1/3rd co-witness we'd want.  Question would be, does it exist considering the majority of the mounts are built in relation to the AR's iron sights. 

I guess if push comes to shove the CZ irons could be dumped in favor of AR irons, and I could grab a fortis mount like I already have.  But if we could make something work with the existing irons that would be preferred. 

Offline ranastas

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
Larue mount doesent work wit split rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fate

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 03:12:25 PM »

Aimpoint HL-1 and it does fine for me. Sorry pics aren't the best.

What mount are you using?  I have an ADM Low Mount on my T1 and I can't see the irons.

Offline Valk

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 03:40:25 PM »
Looks like the Aimpoint LRP low mount. Silver lever is a dead giveaway.

Offline Rick53

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
It's a range toy : If your RDS fails rip it off and use the irons:  IMO trying to CW Iron on this design with a Red Dot is Near Useless

anything