Author Topic: Sig Sauer P238 HD (SAO)  (Read 2733 times)

Offline matty76

Sig Sauer P238 HD (SAO)
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »
I've previously posted that I was on the hunt for a suitable compact, but my choices are severely limited due to the confounded CA roster. Anyway, I initially wanted to keep everything 9mm, but recently stumbled upon the Sig P238 HD (0.380 ACP) and thought it looked great! Beautiful design, all steel, very compact, has a manual safety, and its a sig! Does anyone have experience with this gun? Care to share your thoughts?

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
Re: Sig Sauer P238 HD (SAO)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »
My 2nd pistol and my primary carry is a Sig P238 Texas Edition in .380.

I like it a lot.  It fits well in many holsters and is very reliable for what some call a "mouse gun".

It handles everything that I've put through it--ball ammo or hollow points.
CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »
 I just recently got back into 9 Kurz, I handled one at the store at the range today. I liked how it felt in my hand for a pocket gun, that's how I would carry it if I get one.
How is the recoil on it? I had just finished shooting 150 rounds in my Cheetah and it was enjoyable.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline IFFV68

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
Side Bar,
The Sig P238 SST H.D. is no longer being made. in 2017.
I have one. Great shooter.
We will have a Safer Country and a Safer World without Guns--Adolf Hitler--1936

Offline Whaler

• My Photo Album
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »
My primary carry is a Sig P-238 Tribal and I love it. I also have a Beretta 84FS in .380 and love it as well. To me the recoil on the Chetah is a little softer than the P-238 but the P238 is much easier to conceal.

Dick

CZ 2075 Rami BD 9mm
CZ Kadet .22LR conversion kit
CZ P-07 Duty 9mm
CZ 455 FS 22LR
Beretta 84FS .380
Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe 28ga
Bersa Thunder .22LR
Sig P232 .380
Sig P238 .380

Offline steerclr

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 05:50:34 PM »
Like in the picture above I have added the Hogue Grips and extended mag for comfortable range shooting.  I found it can be carried in Condition One (cocked and locked) or Condition Two (One in chamber, hammer down on half cock) with safety on or off. 

For conceal carry you can use the flush six round mag to reduce its size.  I thought it would be hard to shoot this way, but it wasn't bad at all. Best sights on any small pistol I own.  Only thought is to be familiar with the 1911's manual of arms and how its used.  If you're comfortable with a 1911 you'll really like the SIG238.  Accurate gun too.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:45:23 PM »
I have the two tone version with aluminum frame for those days in a T-shirt and light shorts. Light weight and reliable little pistol. They are pricey but if they hold up in the long term it's money well spent.

Offline bayouredd

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
I carried the P238 Equinox for the better part of 3 years. I wanted the HD version but the Equinox had the absolute best sights on mouse guns at that time. It even had the most visible on all variations of the P238. There was a recall on the first batches and I got mine right after they repaired that recall. It ran absolutely flawlessly & shot everything that I could put in it. I even mixed and matched all types of ammo in the same magazine & she just didn't care. She ran it all. I wish I would have held on to her but, I replaced her with a Browning 1911-380 because it has a 4.25" barrel.

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 12:11:37 PM »
I also own the 238 two tone, one of the lighter versions.
 I am I would imagine well north of 2500 rounds through the weapon as its several years old , never counted but bet it has had less than a half dozen failures to function, this is with 7-8-9-10 self defense rounds and  a couple of different reloaded target rounds, most every malfunction that I can remember was a full ejection of the spent case. easily corrected.
 I generally run 100 rounds through the gun when I take it to the range, accuracy is very good inside 10-12 yards.
you got choices of sight types, night, Fiber optic, hi contrast, same with grips- G-10, plastic, rubber, wood etc..
I run Hogues on mine, sweet short trigger and reset.
I wear Jeans 95% of the time and its a true pocket pistol for me.
I think its a great choice if not uncomfortable carrying cocked and locked.

Offline IFFV68

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
My primary carry is a Sig P-238 Tribal and I love it. I also have a Beretta 84FS in .380 and love it as well. To me the recoil on the Chetah is a little softer than the P-238 but the P238 is much easier to conceal.

Your Tribal is a very nice looking Sig P2238..
I haven't seen one in person.
We will have a Safer Country and a Safer World without Guns--Adolf Hitler--1936

Offline Superlow1200T

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »
I also live in Democrat-occupied California.  I have a CCW license and my Sig P238 is my primary carry gun.  I actually own a couple of them -- one two-tone and one HD.  The two-tone has an alloy lower and is thus about 4 oz. lighter.  The HD is all-steel.

I really like these pistols.  They come standard with Tritium night sights, so there was nothing I wanted done to them after I bought them.  Both are excellent shooters -- much better than one might expect for a pistol this size.  I also really like the way the gun breaks down -- very similar to a 1911.  It is very easy to field strip these guns to remove firing pin and extractor for occasional cleaning.  I can strip, clean, and reassemble my P238s in just a few minutes.

The P238 makes for an excellent carry gun and it is robust enough for frequent range practice.

The difference between a citizen and a civilian is that the citizen makes the safety of the body politic his personal responsibility -- protecting it with his life.  The civilian does not.

Offline matty76

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »
I also live in Democrat-occupied California.  I have a CCW license and my Sig P238 is my primary carry gun.  I actually own a couple of them -- one two-tone and one HD.  The two-tone has an alloy lower and is thus about 4 oz. lighter.  The HD is all-steel.

I really like these pistols.  They come standard with Tritium night sights, so there was nothing I wanted done to them after I bought them.  Both are excellent shooters -- much better than one might expect for a pistol this size.  I also really like the way the gun breaks down -- very similar to a 1911.  It is very easy to field strip these guns to remove firing pin and extractor for occasional cleaning.  I can strip, clean, and reassemble my P238s in just a few minutes.

The P238 makes for an excellent carry gun and it is robust enough for frequent range practice.

Awesome review and photos, thanks! So how did you get your CCW in Democrat-occupied California?? I've been trying to figure that one out. Peruta v San Diego gave some hope, but I read that the ninth circuit upheld the "just cause" clause.

Offline Willie Repeat

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
I carry my 238 fairly often. Some days it's a little more challenging to dress around the P-01 or rami so the little sig is great for that. It's a fun little tool at the range too, it's my girlfriends favorite gun to shoot, and I think that has something to do with how easy it is to shoot well. In my opinion they make a great concealed carry option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Superlow1200T

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
You can generally get a CCW in Orange County CA if you have a clean record and any reasonable "good cause."  In my case by being a business owner and attorney.

I can absolutely recommend the Sig P238 as a carry gun.  Fits nicely into a suitcoat pocket, motorcycle jacket pocket, or cargo shorts pocket.
The difference between a citizen and a civilian is that the citizen makes the safety of the body politic his personal responsibility -- protecting it with his life.  The civilian does not.

Offline steerclr

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »
The P238 works well with a DeSantis M44BJMKZ0 Super Fly pocket holster.  You can find them online for a $22-25.  I think if you decide to pocket carry you will like it. Makes it easier to grab and breaks up its outline.