Author Topic: Just bought a Witness Elite - have a few questions  (Read 7982 times)

Offline cb

Just bought a Witness Elite - have a few questions
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 11:56:48 AM »
Jim,
I have a Limited Match in 38 super.  Elite may be a different gun.

The condition is perfetct.  No scratches, dents, blotches, etc.  And the trigger is surpisingly good.

I have had some trouble with the mags.  It looks like they are picky about LOA.  Even factory silvertips seem to be right at the max.  I cannot get more than 10 of my handloads at 1.255" in them.  At first silvertips were the same.  Now I can get 15 in them.  I have not been able to get more than 16 in under any circumstance - they are supposed to hold 18.  Maybe with some further use...

I shot it briefly but it was very windy.  Accuracy is probably good but will require further shooting.  I suspect it will give at least 2" at 25yds.  I think the recoil spring is light.  And the gun seems well fitted and tight.  These two things may account for the two times the slide needed a nudge to go fully into battery.

I need to shoot it some more, but so far I am very happy with the gun.

I hope that helps.

JimK66

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 01:56:42 PM »
Thanks cb,  That info makes me feel much better. :)   Maybe the spring in those mags just needs a little more use.  I can't wait to hear how well it performs and shoots on a nice day after a couple hundred rounds through it.  Please let me know.
Jim

Offline kman

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 10:35:51 AM »
I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to register and add my comments.

I purchased 2 NIB Witness Limited 9mm pistols this year (full dust cover, brushed chrome, cone barrel, adj. sights, etc.). The first I bought directly from EAA and had it shipped to my FFl dealer. I bought the second one from a well know EAA dealer. The pistol is called Limited and that name is on the slide. Elite is the name of the series and the pistol bears no markings with the Elite name.

Why two? I absolutley love this gun. One is the old frame size, one is the new frame size. The frame is actually no different in external dimensions. The difference is the size of the magazine and magwell. The older size is smaller and uses standard EAA 16 round mags. The new size is larger and uses the new EAA 18 round mag (the 9mm mags have an added channel to fill the extra space). My guess is that this change was made so that larger caliber pistols can use the same frame. They mags are not interchangable. The quality of this gun is fantastic and I found no problems with the finish, fit, slide rails, etc.

Getting the first gun from EAA was no probelm. That's because I was dealing directly with Marc Galli. The purchase and transfer was without problem. My dealings with them since Marc left has been hit and miss. Trying to find out dates of arrival of parts and accessories has been a little hard. Takes a few more calls than it did before. They do make things happen, it just takes longer.

The magazines are made in Italy by Tanfoglio and I have had no problems with them in any manner. The pistol comes with only one magazine, so get used to buying extras (2 for $50). They do require a special aluminum base pad ($15 ea.) for the magwell of this pistol. This special pad does NOT come with the mags and must be ordered separately directly from EAA. If you get their 2006 catalog, all parts and accessories are listed, or just call and order. The special pad comes with it's own new metal base (that replaces the one on the magazine), new set screw to hold the new pad in place, and a hex wrench that fits the set screw. Of course, you need to know which size magazine (old size or new) you have so you don't order the wrong base pad. Yes, I've done this and EAA has taken care of the returns without problem.

I'll report back once I've had more time to spend at the range. So far, flawless operation, in every manner. I would not hesitate to purchase this pistol.
Kevin

Offline cb

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »
Jim,
I shot the gun from the bench the other day.  I only used two different handloads, each of which give about 1.5 inches at 25 yards in my Commanders.  In the Match, I was getting 2-3 inches.  Several groups had 4 in 2 inches with one flyer.

I am pretty sure that I can find a load that will give a consistent 2 inches, and maybe less.  Hopefully that flyer situation will disappear, either with a different load or with further break-in.  I have only fired about 150 rounds so far.

The gun has a couple trigger adjustment screws, but if you adjust for zero overtravel, the trigger action will not deactivate the firing pin block.  So you cannot remove all of the overtravel.  Still, the trigger is quite good.

All in, the gun is everything I expected except that I doubt it will accept 147gr bullets due to LOA limits.  It is not a $2000 bullseye gun, but it is a lot of gun for the money.

JimK66

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »
Hi CB,  Sounds like you've got a heck of a accurate gun there (can't wait till I get mine).  Those are pretty good groups for shooting a gun your're not used to even from a bench.  Especially with reloads.  I know when I was reloading many years ago try as I may I never could eliminate some degree of variability in my loads.  I'll bet you've been getting a flyer every so oftern for years. ha!  I think it just goes with the territory. :evil  
By the way......in Kman's post he mentioned having to get pads for the extra mags he purchased when he got his guns.  I know you got a couple estras when you got yours and wondered if you had to get them as well?  If so, I'll have to get with the dealer and add them to the order from EAA.
Thanks for the input CB.
Jim

Offline duffy01

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »
I got my gun back from the folks at EAA and the issues as described in previous posts are for the most part resolved.  So I thought I'd take the gun down to the range and put it thru some paces.  It was well sighted when I got it and all it needed was some minor adjustments.  I might add that I took my Les Baer (1.5" accuracy at 50 yards) down for comparison.  I shot both guns at 25 and 50 feet.  At the 25 ft mark the Baer was grouping within 1" as is the norm.  At 50 feet the Baer (and I) were shooting groups a tad under 1.5" which is just fine for IPSC and IDPA.   I then picked up the Witness Elite Limited.  It is by far a more comfortable gun to shoot than any of my 1911's and I am a diehard 1911 guy.  I used my reloads for both guns 200gr Rainer RN with Winchester WST at 5.0 grains and Winchester large pistol primers.  The Witness at 25 feet was grouping about 1.75" and at 50 feet just over 2".  Not bad and certainly respectable.  I think the accuracy would improve a bit more if the barrel lockup was tighter.  I can move the barrel crown when the gun is in battery (with an empty chamber of course ;) ).  I put about 50 rounds thru the Baer and 200 thru the Witness so I think the results are a pretty fair representation of what the gun can do.

Offline cb

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 10:59:03 AM »
Jim,
My mags are standard; no special base plate, just the plastic base they came with.

I am guessing that Elite guns may have a different frame/mag well shape that may require a special base plate.  My gun is a Match model so the standard mag/base plate works fine.

tkosiba

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 08:12:22 AM »
Gents:

I just purchased and shot my new Witness Elite Match .40 S&W and was really impressed for a gun under $500.

First, the two-tone (s.s. frame, blue slide) reminded me of the Special Forces Bren Ten. Excellent trigger, very accurate, flawless function with outstanding ergonomics! Sometimes I can't get that as a die hard custom 1911 owner!

Also, I liked the somewhat melted adjustable sights (not like regular CZ's or Browning HiPowers that "perch" high up on the slide) and the removable front sight.

I'm sure there's always a debate on EAA vrs. CZ; however, the "package" was right and I'm well pleased. Now rather than just a practice gun, I ordered additional mags for USPSA shooting.

By the way, Sharon Bell at EAA was great to work with, especially since I'm a newbie to the line.

JimK66

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 09:11:33 AM »
Good for you!  I've had my EAA Witness Limited 9mm ordered since 25th April.  Talked to Sharon Bell a couple weeks ago and she said they had received the invoice from Tanfoglio and they should be getting them in  soon.
I can't wait to get it.
Jim

JimK66

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 01:03:23 PM »
Sorry I didn't have time to finish my reply to you, but I had to run.  I'm encouraged by your report on the gun after some of the comments from others on the forum.
Where did you get your gun (EAA)?  How long did you have to wait for yours?

Cheers,
JimK

tkosiba

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 08:14:10 PM »
They are currently available from dealers in the Chicago area. Bought mine from Rinks Guns; however, I also hear Mega Sports has them as well. I picked my .40 from a group of 9mm and .45 as well.

By the way, my local USPSA club members went nuts over it today. I let the group shoot it and they were overwhelmed with the quality, accuracy, etc. and many of them now have it on their "must have" list.

Offline hartzpad

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 08:24:13 PM »
I put a bunch of full power 10mm rounds through my Tanfoglio 10mm MATCH today and it was so much fun.  Love the sights as well as the pretty nice SA trigger.  I also love the extended safety.

JimK66

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 12:04:38 PM »
OK...OK, you lucky devils! :hat    One of these day's I'll get mine.

Have fun,
Jim

JimK66

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 03:13:42 PM »
Hello Folks!  I finally got my new 9mm Witness Limited today and if it shoots as well as it looks I'm going to be a very happy fellow. :D
Got a question though......When I tried to disassemble the pistol to clean it I ran into trouble (hopefully a little one).
  I lined up the two "takedown marks" behind the safety and darn it.....I couldn't get the slide stop-takedown lever to push out.  :rolleyes   I moved the slide all over the place to find the sweet spot, but no luck.  I couldn't get the slide stop everup high enough to get ahold of it so I put the gun away for a bit and thought I would ask you guy's for help.  I also made sure the hammer was cocked and tried it with the mag in and out.  Any help is welcome.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline stretch64

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 09:44:17 PM »
Jim, magazine out, line up the marks, and use the base of the magazine to push on the slide stop pin. It may be difficult the first several times, especially if there's a sharp edge on the spring notch in the slide stop pin.