Author Topic: Serial number electro-penciled on mag  (Read 735 times)

Offline dakink

Serial number electro-penciled on mag
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:46:35 AM »
My 1987 CZ85 has the last three digits of the serial etched on the mag. Who did this? CZ? Why did they do it and when did they stop? Just curious I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dakink

Re: Serial number electro-penciled on mag
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »

This is it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline painter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »
Just a guess, but likely the armorer that was charged with caring for the firearm.

I've never heard of serial numbers on CZ mags from the factory.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
Usually, electro pencil engraving is not a factory way of marking items.  They'd be stamped with a number if identifying the parts/pieces was part of building the fire arm (I have an old Auto 5 that has the complete serial number on the receiver, the stock, the forend, and the last four digits of the serial number on the large screws that attach the stock to the receiver and the trigger housing to the receiver - stamped in, like the serial number on the receiver.)

The CZ pistols (don't own any rifles/shotguns) have the serial number stamped in the barrel, too.  Evidently that's all the factory believes is necessary to keep together as a unit.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Online cntrydawwwg

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:40:55 PM »
I've seen Pre B's with their mags marked like that. My brother even has one.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:52:24 PM »
I have a pair of older Russian IZH35лю pistols with serialized magazines. I would guess that was done for guns that were hand fitted/finished and production line could not assure full parts/mags compatibility. Since process nowadays is much improved and parts unification/compatibility is not a issue, this no longer necessary.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »
could be any reason.

- contract requirements

- military/LEO use and for inventory purposes

- just the way things were done back then too.

Offline nevada

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 03:18:42 AM »
My 1985 75 preB has both mags marked with the last three numbers. No idea who did it, but I like it. For one thing I know what mags came with the pistol. The others I've bought are, of course, not marked.

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
Your (1987) is the latest production year that I've heard or seen of an example of this stenciling procedure on the accompanying magazines with CZ 75s made  back then. Unless someone has an example from a later year in the 80s, that might be the year it ended. 

It was in 1988 that CZ changed the serial numbering scheme to an alpha+4-digit one. Barrels are still required to have a serial number in that country and are treated like a controlled item. Note the "1" on this particular mag written in the Czech style....can confuse some readers as a seven or more sloppily written versions can look like a lower-case, cursive letter L.

anything