Author Topic: MAJOR JAM AT RANGE  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Droopy

MAJOR JAM AT RANGE
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »
Yesterday at the range I had a jam or lock up of a rami with a live round in the chamber. First off let me say I own 2 rami bd's and this was my first time out with the one that jammed. The gun loaded properly when I put the magazine in and fired one shot then the recoil spring was sticking out a little bit of the gun and the second round was in the chamber. I could not eject the round however, no matter how hard i pulled on the slide to try and do so. I asked for help at the range but sadly they could not get the slide to move either and were no other help than to tell me to take it to a gunsmith. I did continue to use up my range time with my other rami and compact gun I took with me. The live round had me nervous in the rami since I could not tell how it was loaded or seated in the gun. I did eventually get the recoil spring to sit flush with the gun and that allowed me to take the slide off the frame when I was at home and in my garage away from anything that mattered besides myself if the gun happened to go off. Once it was apart I still could not get the barrel to eject the bullet like that. So I decided to put the slide on my working frame and gave that a try which did not do anything for a very long time but after almost giving up it finally pulled the slide back to eject the live bullet, I don't think it was that frame that did it tho more likely just luck. This led me to then try snap caps which also will load initially into gun but the slide then locks up and it won't pull back without way to much effort on both frames to eject the snap cap even. Is there anyone who can help me or has had this problem before?

Offline MeatAxe

Re: MAJOR JAM AT RANGE
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
Is this a brand new Rami or used?

From where was the recoil spring sticking out of the pistol?

If it's used, could be a worn out recoil spring or misassembled or maybe the wrong spring altogether. The Rami outer recoil spring should be replaced every 500 rounds or so.

I would take it to a competent smith or send it back to CZ if I were you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:42:00 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline Droopy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:14:25 PM »
It was used but it is a 2016 model which is newer than my first Rami and I tried new springs also sorry I did not mention that in first post. The recoils spring was sticking out of the front of the gun about the same distance as when the slide is locked open when the magazine is empty but the round was still loaded with the slide closed on it as if ready to fire. This is a new problem I have never seen before in any gun I have owned. I love my rami so much i bought it twice so that I can still have one for my edc when I send one to CGW for work. Then I will hand the second one down in the family when they are both finished. This concerns me tho and would like to get it resolved before I send to them
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:49:51 PM by Droopy »

Offline Psyop96

MAJOR JAM AT RANGE
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:51:52 PM »
Have you tried to see if the recoil "piston" (the part of the recoil assembly that has the fixed spring) is binding in any way? Remove the larger outer recoil spring, place the other part face down on the end that looks like a screw head and push down against the spring. Watch out for the other end to pop out like it does during the recoil process. Is there any binding? Just a thought.

Offline Droopy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
Thanks for all your ideas I do appreciate them all and I just tried to check that spring and it seems ok to me compared to the one in my other rami but now I also noticed that when I go to remove the slide it seems to hang up more on that gun than on the good one. It's not a whole lot but it is noticeable compared to the other one. Maybe I am becoming to critical and need to step away from it for a bit or until I hear back from CZ who I have emailed about this. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome since I will never claim to know everything but I do like to solve things when I can

Offline benq

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:07:53 PM »
Try swapping out the barrel and recoil spring with your older RAMI, see if the new slide still "hangs" when you remove the it.

Replacing the recoil spring assembly as previously suggested is a good idea.

Regarding ejecting the round issue:  Do you hand load your own ammo? If so plunk test them.

Assuming the hanging issue is resolved: next time you are at the range(or at home if you are comfortable), load a full mag cycle through(without firing) the new RAMI to see if rounds can cycle through it. Granted most of the time you are ejecting spent casings versus live rounds but still important.

I went through 1k rounds with my RAMI before it became my EDC. I had feeding issues every 10 rounds. A good polish of the breech face and feeding ramp fixed it.

CZs are wonderful pistols however some need more TLC to realize their full potential.

Let us know how things turn out. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Offline Droopy

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
YAY!! That worked or didn't work really lol. Thanks so much. I switched slides on frames and my first slide fed live rounds thru the new frame but the new slide would lock up on the old frame so that mades me believe it has to be the new slide that is the problem. So then I switched the barrels and TA-DA there it was with just the new barrel in old gun the old gun then locks up like the new one did and the new gun cycles just fine with old barrel. OMG thank you guys so much I do not do that kind of work on my own guns but now I have a great jumping off spot to tell CZ or whoever I take the gun to. Who knows maybe I will talk to the guys at CGW if CZ does not want to look at it first or they want to charge to fix it. I just hope they honor the warranty even tho I am the second owner of this gun after all it is a 2016 model. I guess I will find out how their customer service works sometime this week. I will keep everyone posted as to how things turn out from here good or bad and thanks again to everyone who helped

Offline Droopy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »
Just a quick note and shout out to CZ-USA for a very fast response. I emailed them midday Sunday (knowing they're closed) and they have issued me a return notice for a work order already at 9:06 am EST Monday. Let's see how fast Fedex is with the return sticker. I will keep everyone informed about the outcome of this when I receive it back.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
That is a great response by CZ.  Let's hope the fix and return is just as fast

Offline Ruber

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »
I can't even begin to guess what's going on, but glad CZ-USA is taking care of you.

If you have photos of what happened, it would be great to post some, even if CS takes care of it (it would be a great reference for the future).

Hope it all works out well and fast!

Offline Droopy

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 09:39:36 PM »
Well I got my Rami back from CZ but haven't had a chance to get to range yet but if not tomorrow then I will go next week and finish up this post. I just wanted to say how happy I am with CZ's service they were very quick with an initial response and returned to me in half the time the quoted when they got it from me. I got this gun used last year as a second to my EDC carry gun that I want to get canjunized but couldn't live without a Rami on my side while it was gone. That being said it was built in 2016 and when I contacted CZ they never blinked an eye or tried to say the gun was no longer covered by warranty they simply sent me a return notice for fedex and fixed the gun for free. That is something you will never get from Walther (a brand of gun I will never purchase again!!!)  who IMO has the worst aftermarket service in the whole industry but thats another story best not brought up here. Anyways this what CZ did to my Rami

Work Performed: Reamed throat for use with heavy 147 gr ammunition, should prevent any sticking in the chamber/throat from use with larger ogive ammunition. Adjusted feed ramp, breech face & extractor. Function tested & test fired, good.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 10:28:29 PM »
Awesome!

Offline Ruber

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 10:49:03 PM »
Very cool, hope it runs well for you!

Offline Droopy

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 01:07:25 PM »
Well today I spent 3 hours at the range with this gun and put about 400 rounds thru it and it ran flawlessly like a CZ should. I mostly shot cheap plinking ammo like American Eagle, Federal aluminum both 115 gr FMJ that are as dirty of a bullet as I like to use. I also shot some 124 gr  Freedom Munitions FMJ and 50 rounds of 124 gr Speer Gold dots HP which is my go to carry and self defense bullets I carry in my guns. I didn't have any and nor do I really ever carry or shoot any 147 gr bullets so can't say if they cycle cleanly. Although that's what the factory tried thru it and since the other 4 brands ran fine I would assume so would the 147 gr bullets. Thank you CZ for being such an excellent company and for taking care of my problem.

Offline alterego

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »
Great story of  CZ customer service.  Glad they fixed it for you.  My RAMI had two fail to feed last week, first time in 500 or so rounds, it was with the Sig HP ammo, everything else feeds great.