Author Topic: Bore guides?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline EddieE

Bore guides?
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »
Do you guys use bore guides to clean the rifles? I just picked up my gun and will likely take it out in the next few weeks. I want to give it good cleaning and oil (proper amount) before I take it out.

Just trying to see what everyone does.

Offline Boris_LA

Re: Bore guides?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »
Tight pull-through works great for rimfire and don't require bore guide. I own bore-guide and don't use it.

Offline EddieE

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Tight pull-through works great for rimfire and don't require bore guide. I own bore-guide and don't use it.

Bore snake?

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:51:50 PM »
I use boresnake only on the range for rare occasional quick cleaning. At home I use a length of 120lb fishing line with knot on the end and couple of airgun cleaning felt pellets threaded on for good patch fit. For 22 pistols the same system with shorter line.

Offline EddieE

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:58:40 PM »
I use boresnake only on the range for rare occasional quick cleaning. At home I use a length of 120lb fishing line with knot on the end and couple of airgun cleaning felt pellets threaded on for good patch fit. For 22 pistols the same system with shorter line.

Interesting. I have some 22 patch/felt pellets I think. I might have to try this. I assume you soak the pellets in solvent, run it through a few times...maybe have another set up with patch/pellets with oil to oil the barrel after done with the cleaning.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
I don't soak pellets in oil. The long end of the line is cut with angle to pock the patch through. The normal process for cleaning looks like this:
Poke the fresh 1" patch and slide it all the way to support pellets.
Drop of oil on the patch
Thread the line through the bore and pull oiled patch through.
Reverse the oiled patch and use the other side for one more pull-trough.
Repeat few more times with clean dry patches.
For first time cleaning to remove factory preserving grease use more oiled and clean patches. For normal cleaning one oiled patch and 3-4 dry ones is enough.

Felt pellets become saturated with oil by themselves after few cleanings, but it doesn't affect cleaning or drying. They are only supporting patch and creating tight patch to bore fit and don't contact bore directly. All the dirt collected by patch and doesn't accumulate in the felt. Works for many years and cleanings until mono fishing line gets nicked and need replacement. Manufacturing the new one is a few minutes job.
Think of long use of pillow with removable, replaceable pillow cases.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:22:33 PM by Boris_LA »

Offline EddieE

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
I don't soak pellets in oil. The long end of the line is cut with angle to pock the patch through. The normal process for cleaning looks like this:
Poke the fresh 1" patch and slide it all the way to support pellets.
Drop of oil on the patch
Thread the line through the bore and pull oiled patch through.
Reverse the oiled patch and use the other side for one more pull-trough.
Repeat few more times with clean dry patches.
For first time cleaning to remove factory preserving grease use more oiled and clean patches. For normal cleaning one oiled patch and 3-4 dry ones is enough.

Felt pellets become saturated with oil by themselves after few cleanings, but it doesn't affect cleaning or drying. They are only supporting patch and creating tight patch to bore fit and don't contact bore directly. All the dirt collected by patch and doesn't accumulate in the felt. Works for many years and cleanings until mono fishing line gets nicked and need replacement. Manufacturing the new one is a few minutes job.

Thanks. Sure beats buying a tipton carbon fiber one piece rod ($30) and a boare guide ($20).

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »
I have one piece rods and bore guides. Rods are useful for some other task too. Like slugging the barrel or thorough brushing the bore, that is very rare occurrence. For routine cleaning is a pull-through.

Offline painter

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 09:07:09 PM »
I switched to a Patchworm for cleaning.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.