Author Topic: Barrel break-in procedure anyone?  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Winkel

Re: Barrel break-in procedure anyone?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 08:05:20 PM »
I very rarely clean my .22 barrels.  When I was a kid, we had an old Remington bolt action .22, the type on which you couldn't remove the bolt without disassembling the gun. 

That gun NEVER got cleaned and it was deadly accurate with cheap iron sights. 

I got my 452 Lux for Christmas, 2006.  I shoot it a lot.  Last year I took the bolt apart and it was clean.  I mean it literally had nothing in it except a little oil.  I swabbed and wiped it down, re-oiled it and put it back together.  I'll check it again in another ten years if I'm still around.

As far as running a brush down the barrel?  If I'm storing a .22 for a while, I'll squirt the barrel full of CLP and let it run out, then store it in the gun box bore down.  When I take it out, I'll push a patch through it with my good ole' aluminum cleaning rod and a plastic barb. 

Your mileage may vary. 

Offline EddieE

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 08:56:10 PM »

[/quote]
I'd like to see a few shots of the chamber/leade. There have been some reports on the interwebz that this has been a problem area on the 455.
[/quote]

Not sure if historically there have been issues, but my gun is with the gunsmith and I had him go over it...chamber, crown, and everything in between. He said everything looked perfect. I had told him to polish, lap or do whatever he needed to the barrel to get it perfect. He said nothing was required.

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 09:50:35 AM »
The interweb is a strange and crazy place to put a lot truth in when it comes to 455 barrels.There are pristine barrels that shoot like turds and some that are just ok inside by someones opinion but they shoot lights out so just go shoot them get some seat time and see if anything needs attention.
To go into a smith and get a report doesn't produce any reference as to how it groups.Nothing is free spend some change on ammo and get that baseline.It is a fun break in procedure if you so desire. But once again your gun your rules.That's my 2?.

R

Offline handgun2

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 07:56:57 PM »
so, I agree w/ Ronnie guy , kinda , sorta..

I admit I didn't read every thread.. my .02 being around .22's a long time.. my brand new .455 is stellar accuracy, opcen sights.. I cleaned.. shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot.  haven't really cleaned outside of quick oil job,   thing is accurate, reliable.    again, I just shooting at 25yds for fun.. and some vermin.   I hope to do a real clean up at about 1000rnd..  nothing yet make me want to do more.  a quick overall, a quick barrel swap occasionally,  I suspect the I am different than some here. I just a shooter. who cares.  I am not out to shoot accuracy events. I just shoot to hit. My 455 does that at 25yds open sights, day in day out.  no excessive 'break in ' period.  dang accurate and reliable.   I suggest, it just gets better over time as things break in.. wear in.. etc.  I have no worries to hit a small target at 25yds.  just saying.
k in MI

Offline HDW58

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 06:26:58 AM »
I don't think a barrel break in procedure is needed on a rimfire. I give the barrel a normal cleaning on a new rifle with patches and a brush, I only pull brushes through mine from the muzzle I also use a well fitting bore guide, after the initial cleaning I use a nylon brush to clean the chamber/leade area to remove carbon/lead build up and patches for the bore, this procedure confirmed with a Hawkeye borescope and it does work. I sometimes will use a patchworm to clean as I try to keep the rod out of the gun as much as possible. I personally would never use a bore snake in my rifles. You also should always clean your rimfire after shooting as the debris in the barrel will attract moisture and could cause problems if left in there for a long period of time.

Offline copemech

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 11:40:35 PM »
Hydraulically lapped at the factory, our barrels need no ?break-in.? Any burrs or irregularities that might catch the bullet jacket and create copper fowling have already been polished away by the time the barrel is fit to the rifle.

Well there we go!

I've got a few photos from our borecam at work that I should share.  One is the 455 Varmint Evolution with the Bull Barrel.  It's mind blowing.

Good or bad? I have been looking at these 455 things and am torn on what to get. I almost feel as though a heavy barrel in a 22LR is simply overkill, yet I still want something super accurate. Of course, weight is always a consideration along with the ability to directly attach a bipod. I also like the concept of being able to swap fir a .17 barrel.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
Fixed post below (hopefully!)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:58:53 PM by jameslovesjammie »

Offline copemech

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 01:41:19 AM »
Thanks James but the pics di not work. I switched to the IMGUR thing a couple weeks ago and it seems to work well, and much better than the bogged down bucket! It is different, and took me a bit to figure out I need to click on my name in the upper riht to give me post options.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »
Good or bad?

Good.

Here is a NIB, unfired 455 Varmint barrel.

Here is a NIB Ruger SR556 (note the rust pitting)

Here is a NIB Winchester M70 Extreme SS (note the voids in the metal, but pretty good)

And a NIB Mini-14 (Factory test fired, I am assuming)

I didn't save the name of this one, but IIRC, it was a Savage 10 Predator.  What looks like chatter marks could be from the button rifling process.

Offline copemech

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 01:34:29 AM »
All I can say is WOW! O0

Now the issue, to heavy barrel a .22 or not? O0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:39:58 AM by copemech »

Offline painter

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 07:00:57 AM »
Did you get any pictures of the leade to the rifling?

There have been some complaints about CZ's reamer life cycle/performance on 455's on other forums.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
That 455 is long gone, but I can clean up my 455 and one of my boys 452's and get a comparison.

Offline painter

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »
Thanks James. It would be interesting.

but not the ability.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »
Did you get any pictures of the leade to the rifling?

There have been some complaints about CZ's reamer life cycle/performance on 455's on other forums.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to get these scrubbed down for a perfect comparision, but hopefully these will work.

Top is a '15 452 Scout.  Round count is ~200.  Bottom is a '15 455 Ultralux.  Round count is ~1,500 rounds.  It doesn't show well in the pictures, but the 452 seems to have more of a pronounced step from the throat to the lead, whereas the 455 is more of a gradual taper.

I should note that both barrels are still pretty dirty for detailed comparison pics.  Hopefully you can see what you are looking for.

Offline painter

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
The Scout shows some burrs at the beginning of the rifling. That has been the complaint from some.

The Ultra looks very good.

Thanks for taking the time James!

but not the ability.

anything