Author Topic: Magazine spring question  (Read 734 times)

Offline graewulf

Magazine spring question
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
Ok, so my main reason for buying my cz 75b was home defense. Obviously, it's not useful unless its loaded, so I plan on keeping a loaded magazine ready to go.  The question is, how will this affect the spring over time? How long can I expect the spring to last in this condition before it loses its effectiveness and needs replacing?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: Magazine spring question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
It will have next to no effect at all, so long as you don't keep loading and unloading the magazine.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »
Agreed. It is my understanding that compression springs fatigue when they are moving rather then when they are compressed and static.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »
It's like a paperclip.  If you spring it open and clip papers together,  it'll last near forever.
If you bend it in and out fairly fast,  it'll eventually get hot and weaken or break.

Cycling the mag spring eventually weakens it.  Compressing it "once" and letting it stay compressed doesn't.  Info./confirmation of this is available on Wolff springs Site FAQs.  Gunsprings.com

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
I get six mags for each gun I own. I keep two loaded with JHP rounds and practice weekly with the other four. Those two mags springs aren't gradually weakening like that, but the other four mags are. I rotate which two mags stay loaded every 3-4 months so that all the mags get their chance to sit out. That way all six mags springs are wearing out more or less evenly.
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:01 PM »
I should add that it IS true a compression spring WILL take a set.  75B recoil springs with the short guide rod have proven that many times.  Magazine springs are compression springs like the recoil springs.  That doesn't shorten their life or effectiveness.