Author Topic: Critical Look at the Shadow 2  (Read 23898 times)

Offline schmeky

Critical Look at the Shadow 2
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
We will show the changes on the S-2 we have on the way compared to the standard Shadow, what current parts fit and don't fit, and what upgrades we feel the S-2 can benefit from.   

Offline beanz2

Re: Critical Look at the Shadow 2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
Looking forward to your findings, David.  How long do you think before the Shadow 2 reaches the same level of availability and sophistication in terms of aftermarket modifications and parts as in the original Shadow?

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »
Ship more Shadow 2s pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee CZ USA

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:46:25 PM »
We will show the changes on the S-2 we have on the way compared to the standard Shadow, what current parts fit and don't fit, and what upgrades we feel the S-2 can benefit from.

Ya killin me. So you say they're "on the way"?...

Hopefully you'll be able to get the trigger as nice or better than the old Shadow. I'm hearing that out of the box, the S2 has a 4.5-5lb SA trigger and 10+ lb DA trigger. Not ideal for a $1300+ gun in my opinion. I'd imagine lighter springs would help a lot.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:49:00 PM by andrew1220 »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:18:58 AM »
Money says they need a floating trigger pin. ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:37:53 PM by 1SOW »

Offline huskerlrrp

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 06:41:19 AM »
Just take my money David...take it.  ;D

Offline schmeky

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »
Interesting is the fact the S-2 has been in Canada over a year now.  Canadians have relayed to CGW the first batches had really bad single action pulls, and the DA was stiff and gritty on many. 

This confirms our European info we were given last year when we were told the lock work is the same as the current Shadow(s).  The disco appears to be an improved version compared to the standard Shadow, but we'll confirm this soon.

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Just take my money David...take it.  ;D

Yeah seriously.

Offline K3JB

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »
I look forward to your review as soon as you get the much awaited S-2. I doubt we will see them in Maryland
for sometime with their strange listing system.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline schmeky

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »
We have our S-2 and we have done some initial observations.  As we suspected, the S-2 is a mix of something new and something old.  First thing we noticed:

1)  SA is creepy on our sample
2)  We were surprised at the amount of pre-travel in the trigger, it's better than the 91154, but in the S-2 price range, could be improved
3)  Slide serrations on the rear seem to have less grip area than the 91154/SP-01, but are quite acceptable
4)  Barrel bushing to barrel fit on our sample was somewhat loose; typical of the SP-01's of the past (CGW barrel bushing will fit)
5)  Barrel is slightly longer compared to the 91154/SP-01
6)  Slim safeties are very thin, great for a high hold with thumbs forward

We'll have more in depth info in the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:06:47 PM by schmeky »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:56:38 PM »
We have our S-2 and we have done some initial observations.  As we suspected, the S-2 is a mix of something new and something old.  First thing we noticed:

2)  We were surprised at the amount of pre-travel in the trigger, it's better than the 91154, but in the S-2 price range, should be better
3)  Slide serrations on the rear seem to have less grip area than the 91154/SP-01
4)  Barrel bushing to barrel fit on our sample was somewhat loose; typical of the SP-01's of the past (CGW barrel bushing will fit)

I expected better at this price level. No doubt it will be amazing after getting some Cajun spice.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 12:52:25 AM »

2)  We were surprised at the amount of pre-travel in the trigger, it's better than the 91154, but in the S-2 price range, should be better
3)  Slide serrations on the rear seem to have less grip area than the 91154/SP-01

Dang... honestly that's pretty disappointing to hear... Seems like you still have to dump the same amount of money into it to get it to match an up'd SP-01.

Replace bushing, disco, hammer, sear. I'd expect a $1300 gun to be good to go off the start. Maybe replace springs.

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 06:13:29 AM »

Dang... honestly that's pretty disappointing to hear... Seems like you still have to dump the same amount of money into it to get it to match an up'd SP-01.

Replace bushing, disco, hammer, sear. I'd expect a $1300 gun to be good to go off the start. Maybe replace springs.

Yeah that's got me a little concerned/disappointed. It's already expensive and should be flawless out of the box. I'm not so sure if I should get one of these now.... :-\

All the upgrades are going to run $300+ right?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:18:31 AM by andrew1220 »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 06:34:28 AM »
Dang.... For that price one could get a Tactical Sport throw in a new hammer, fiber optic front sight, and be in it less than the Shadow 2. Only problem is the Tactical Sport isn't production legal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:30:09 AM »
Dang.... For that price one could get a Tactical Sport throw in a new hammer, fiber optic front sight, and be in it less than the Shadow 2. Only problem is the Tactical Sport isn't production legal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah seriously. I'm not sure what CZ was thinking when they released the Shadow 2 at $1300+. Sounds like it should cost no more than a SP-01 Shadow.