Author Topic: Critical Look at the Shadow 2  (Read 23770 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Critical Look at the Shadow 2
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
We have our S-2 and we have done some initial observations.  As we suspected, the S-2 is a mix of something new and something old.  First thing we noticed:

1)  SA is creepy on our sample
2)  We were surprised at the amount of pre-travel in the trigger, it's better than the 91154, but in the S-2 price range, should be better
3)  Slide serrations on the rear seem to have less grip area than the 91154/SP-01
4)  Barrel bushing to barrel fit on our sample was somewhat loose; typical of the SP-01's of the past (CGW barrel bushing will fit)
5)  Barrel is slightly longer compared to the 91154/SP-01
6)  Slim safeties are very thin, great for a high hold with thumbs forward

We'll have more in depth info in the next few weeks.

Dang... honestly that's pretty disappointing to hear... Seems like you still have to dump the same amount of money into it to get it to match an up'd SP-01.

Replace bushing, disco, hammer, sear. I'd expect a $1300 gun to be good to go off the start. Maybe replace springs.

Yeah that's got me a little concerned/disappointed. It's already expensive and should be flawless out of the box. I'm not so sure if I should get one of these now.... :-\

All the upgrades are going to run $300+ right?

Close to it. And it's not like the upgrades are overpriced or anything, definitely worth the money on a 75. It makes me a lot more tempted to try out a Stock 2/3 now.

Offline beanz2

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
The factory can make buttery smooth triggers like in the Shadow Orange or TacSport Orange.  Seems like the Shadow 2 will be CZ's basic gun to build up to later, more refined models, doesn't it?  Waiting for the Shadow 2 Orange...

Schmeky, when do you estimate that aftermarket parts will be commonly available for the Shadow 2, like comp hammers, short reset triggers, etc.?  How long after the original Shadow was introduced that CGW started making those parts?

Offline Grelber

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »
Dang.... For that price one could get a Tactical Sport throw in a new hammer, fiber optic front sight, and be in it less than the Shadow 2. Only problem is the Tactical Sport isn't production legal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah seriously. I'm not sure what CZ was thinking when they released the Shadow 2 at $1300+. Sounds like it should cost no more than a SP-01 Shadow.

Advertised at 1150 for the nitride and 1100 for black at Hinterland Outfitters and I am told a couple other places (have not tried to verify). I have no idea if that price will hold when folks actually have them in stock, but perhaps when all is said things will not be as worst case as they might be.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
Our post was to initially point out our off the cuff observations.  We think the S-2 is a sweet pistol, but like most CZ's, there is going to be some fine tuning to Americanize it. 

Offline MissionaryMike

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »
I think you guys are overreacting a little bit.  First of all, there's no perfect gun out of the box, and not because there aren't any that won't function well enough to compete with right away (if you're into competitive shooting).  It's because human nature always desires "more", and human ingenuity makes it possible.  So, why not, right?  The SP-01 Shadow Orange is fantastic gun.  However, keep in mind that it costs upwards of $1,500.  On top of that, it does not have the newer ergonomics, the better machining, the upgraded finish option, longer sight radius, and heavier muzzle to assist in recoil control.  You might end up holding a Shadow 2 and not liking it compared to your SP-01s or Shadows, but you sure and heck won't know until have some range time with one.  There's a lot of presumption being thrown around here.  Personally, despite some extra work that might be necessary to make one a great shooter, I'm very excited to get a hold of my Shadow 2.
Pretty much a CZ fanboy.

Offline MissionaryMike

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
Our post was to initially point out our off the cuff observations.  We think the S-2 is a sweet pistol, but like most CZ's, there is going to be some fine tuning to Americanize it.

This is a great quote.  It's going in my signature, hah!
Pretty much a CZ fanboy.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
I think you guys are overreacting a little bit.  First of all, there's no perfect gun out of the box, and not because there aren't any that won't function well enough to compete with right away (if you're into competitive shooting).  It's because human nature always desires "more", and human ingenuity makes it possible.  So, why not, right?  The SP-01 Shadow Orange is fantastic gun.  However, keep in mind that it costs upwards of $1,500.  On top of that, it does not have the newer ergonomics, the better machining, the upgraded finish option, longer sight radius, and heavier muzzle to assist in recoil control.  You might end up holding a Shadow 2 and not liking it compared to your SP-01s or Shadows, but you sure and heck won't know until have some range time with one.  There's a lot of presumption being thrown around here.  Personally, despite some extra work that might be necessary to make one a great shooter, I'm very excited to get a hold of my Shadow 2.

The problem is asking for $400 for a primarily a (relatively) simple change in frame design and whatnot. You would expect them to improve across the board (barrel bushing, known to be loose, slide serrations WORSE?). We should be comparing it to the Tanfo Stock 3 since that is a more similar comparison. I would be okay with a $1100 price point, but $1300 is too much.

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »

I hear ya. My problem is the pricepoint. It's already going to cost $1300-$1400 for a stock S2. Then you need to spend $300+ to get the trigger comparable to the old Shadow. A cajunized shadow costs $1375.... So now it's going to cost more than a TS Orange that has a 2.5# trigger right out of the box.

I'm quite sure I'll still be buying one from CGW as I've been wanting one for so long. Worst case I sell it and get my money back (CZ's are hard to come by in my state).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:00:33 PM by andrew1220 »

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »
Dang.... For that price one could get a Tactical Sport throw in a new hammer, fiber optic front sight, and be in it less than the Shadow 2. Only problem is the Tactical Sport isn't production legal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah seriously. I'm not sure what CZ was thinking when they released the Shadow 2 at $1300+. Sounds like it should cost no more than a SP-01 Shadow.

Advertised at 1150 for the nitride and 1100 for black at Hinterland Outfitters and I am told a couple other places (have not tried to verify). I have no idea if that price will hold when folks actually have them in stock, but perhaps when all is said things will not be as worst case as they might be.

The price could very well be lower than $1300-$1400 which would be great.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
Expectations for the S-2 were very high and anticipation can make something taste great before the first bite.  I think the S-2 has many worthwhile upgrades and improvements nearly everyone will welcome.   

We are diving deeper into the platform and we'll have spring rates, trigger pulls, reset distances, and cross references for parts the S-2 can use from the existing parts bin.  However keep in mind we are basing this info on the one we have.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:19:11 PM by schmeky »

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
Expectations for the S-2 were very high and anticipation can make something taste great before the first bite.  I think the S-2 has many worthwhile upgrades and improvements nearly everyone will welcome.   

We are diving deeper into the platform and we'll have spring rates, trigger pulls, reset distances, and cross references for parts the S-2 can use from the existing parts bin.  However keep in mind we are basing this info on the one we have.

Well said David. It very well could be that particular one they sent you. Looking forward to your findings in the next few weeks as you "dive deeper".

Offline Grelber

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »
Expectations for the S-2 were very high

+1

By now I should have learned that when something is promoted as being competition ready, that does not mean you would want to compete with it  :) .

Offline Stuart

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 11:26:45 PM »
When watching most people that handled the Shadow 2 at SHOT Show they all had smiles and giggles after handling the pistol. Only a few percentage of the people looked at and said they liked it, but thought there could be a little more.

The gun will probably serve the majority shooters as is and be the best gun they own.

Others will tweak it and make it better.
That is what we do.

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 11:35:44 PM »
When watching most people that handled the Shadow 2 at SHOT Show they all had smiles and giggles after handling the pistol. Only a few percentage of the people looked at and said they liked it, but thought there could be a little more.

The gun will probably serve the majority shooters as is and be the best gun they own.

Others will tweak it and make it better.
That is what we do.

True. Most guys that aren't shooting competition, will be plenty satisfied. But many others will not be pleased until the trigger is light/smooth as can be. I'll be getting one for sure.

Offline BARNY

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »
We have had the Shadow 2 in Canada for some time now. A friend just bought one (second batch ) His gun is great. our LGS owner is very good with CZ's and all he did to it was a little polishing and spring change. It has a very clean 2.5 SA pull now. It is about the same as my 85 b with Kadet kit and my 9mm 85COMBAT. Both guns have CZC race hammers ( can't get CGW  in Canada ) and different springs , that's all and they have 2.5 lb sa after the LGS owner did the action. MY SP01 SHADOW is better othan his shadow 2 but it has had alot of upgrades and has a 2.2 SA and a 5.5 DA. For 300 bucks you get a DESCENT action with race hammer, nice adj combat sight and very cool alum grips. I would get one if I didn't have SP01.