Author Topic: Witness Compact Polymer vs. Baby Eagle Poly vs. Walther P99  (Read 4423 times)

Beta32

Witness Compact Polymer vs. Baby Eagle Poly vs. Walther P99
« on: April 25, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »
hey, i am wondering if any of you have any opinions of the newest EAA Witness polymer compact? how does it compare to the Walther P99 or the Magnum Research Baby Eagle compact polymer? looking for a 9mm or .40SW. thanks for your opinions.  

grayrider: i noticed you have the 10mm model.  have you done any extensive testing?  has it malfunctioned?  are the newer polymers better then the old polymers?  due to the price, i'd really want the 9mm of the newest style.  does CDNN have these for sale yet?

also, instead of the P99, i'd probably get the SW99 since i have found it cheaper.  anyone have any comments on the P99 vs SW99?

BTW i love my Saiga 12 from EAA and have no problem getting another EAA gun.

eaacorp.com/handguns-witn...ct-EI.html

www.waltheramerica.com/fi.../p99qa.cfm

www.magnumresearch.com/Ex...=MR9915RSL

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 06:55:31 AM »
Beta32,

My 10mm has had no malfunctions with any magazine except the one it came with.  That one appears to be defective in some way, but not sure exactly how.  I have not had time to compare it to my others.  Beyond that magazine the gun has run 100% with around 150 rounds of factory ammo.  The trigger was terrible from the factory.  My smith fixed that and it now is excellent in SA, half-cock, and pretty good in DA (I just don't like double action).  It still resets forcefully but I suspect the power of the round is to blame.  I like the gun a lot as it provides me a CCW suitable 15 shot 10mm, at a very low price.  There are times I don't want to carry my expensive 1911s that normally serve my CCW role.  As for durability testing it will have to wait until I get my press setup for 40/10.  I do not plan to shoot it that much as I am skeptical that it will hold up under extensive use with 10mm.  I probably will load down to closer to 40 specs for practice.  I have other 10mms for extensive shooting.  This one serves its purpose as a cheap defensive gun.

I have not owned one of the earlier polymers so have no basis for comparing those.  I think the new guns with rail look better in the P-Carry length.  The full size to me looked better without it, and I have never been a fan of Tanfoglio compacts in any configuration.  I have seen too many people report functioning problems with the short guns in the higher pressure calibers.  I don't think CDNN has the new 9mm.  They got a bunch of EAAs old stock when EAA was clearing space for the new guns.  You can have an FFL buy a P-Carry direct from EAA if you want one.  I no longer have any contacts there, so you would need to call them to find out the details.  The 9mm should be an 18 shot and would be pretty neat.  I do know that the 18 shot 9mm pistols were getting a lot of customer service calls due to feeding issues, but on my 9mm Stock that was easy to fix.  My smith did a little feed-ramp and chamber mouth tweaking.  The result is an extremely reliable pistol.  Tanfoglio also has a new 9mm 18 shot magazine design to help this.  40 may be a tad more reliable in my experience.  

GR

Beta32

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 11:58:07 AM »
thanks for the info and reply GR.  I have only held the P99/SW99, so i just don't know how the others feel.  i might just wait until i hear more reviews of all the pistols or until i can actually get my hands on them to compare.  thanks again

anything