Author Topic: P-09, first time to the range in 4 months. Still phenomenal!  (Read 314 times)

Offline Joe L

P-09, first time to the range in 4 months. Still phenomenal!
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:09:29 PM »
I last shot my Cajunized P-09 in early November, but that was at 100 yards from a rest, not bullseye practice at 25 or 50 yards.  I'm still waiting on a P-10C and I'm struggling with the P-07 with open sights, so I decided to shoot the P-09 today, at 25 yards, timed fire, standing, single hand, in a pistol bay, exposed to the wind and the sun, but much easier on my abused ears. 

I have a tendency to push a few shots left when shooting single hand with almost every gun that I haven't shot recently, and the P-09 was no exception.   But the last 10 shots today were pretty good.   (I shot 20 rounds on target 2 before setting up to video target 3, which is shown below.) 

Bullseye is so demanding because good scores (95+) require that every shot be executed perfectly, while the gun is moving around.  What I tend to do when I don't get to practice a couple of times per week, is to change tension in the fingers other than the trigger finger as I am releasing the shot.  Usually, after I get completely comfortable with how much pressure I can put on the trigger without prematurely releasing the shot, I can keep the holes all in the 9 ring or better.  Success is all in the details. 

I think I could still pick up the P-09, make two range trips and get maybe 50-60 rounds to get familiar with the trigger again, and be back to shooting the gun as well as I did in 2014.  I have always been able to shoot it well two handed or from a rest with little or no practice.  Why?  Because one is much less likely to move the gun while pulling the trigger when using two hands. 

This is fun.  This is not easy.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: P-09, first time to the range in 4 months. Still phenomenal!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »
You, sir, are quite awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:17:47 PM »
You, sir, are quite awesome. Thanks for sharing!

I wasn't so awesome or happy today when I found out I hadn't turned the target cam on for targets 1 and 2!  Target 1 was me shooting an open sight all stainless steel P-226, using some of my friend's 147 gr FMJ match ammo that he shoots in his 9mm 1911 Sig.  Wouldn't even chamber in a CZ, and didn't make it in to battery 3 rounds out of 20 in the P-226.  That video was no great loss, other than it would prove I have something in the safe besides CZ's!  Target 2 was a lot like Target 3 so no great loss there, either.  The only thing that was really lost was my temper.  I should stick with real video recorders and save the mirrorless still cameras for the dog park!

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »
I took my sister to go shooting with her SP-01 Compact this morning (first time and she got for Christmas...). While teaching her the fundamentals I snuck in some shots at a 55 yard target. Hit 3 out of 4 shots, but it gave me a new level of respect for your shooting! It also made me want to incorporate some bullseye into my practice more often. Thanks again for sharing your shooting and thoughts!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline coolbox

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »
JoeL,
Excellent shooting as usual, sir.
I have just restarted pistol shooting again, been busy with rifles lately. This is indeed not easy.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

anything