Author Topic: CZ Cold War Commemorative's  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Psyop96

CZ Cold War Commemorative's
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
I can imagine the pitch made by the marketing folks to the execs to produce this model.."we will sell lots of them in the USA...". If you're going to sell into the US market or one outside of the heavily firearms regulated European market, can anyone think of a recognizable symbol set that serves as a commemorative for the collapse of the evil empire (or celebration of Prague Spring or the Velvet Revolution) that will fit on a pistol at that price point? I would suggest that they could have used a broken star and sickle but that might have been difficult to etch on the pistols or would look strange. Who knows? It seems odd to have those two symbols displayed without something that symbolizes their destruction. Another curiosity - using the Cyrillic "?" on the first version (2010 squared trigger guard) and "?" on the current version to spell "Cz" sound in Czechoslovakia. The former is the standard method. Fortunately, we get to endlessly debate whether it's an appropriate choice of symbols and can decide whether to own one or not.
And now the 2017 production no longer have the unique serial number range so that adds another layer of premium on the older ones!
BTW - loved the posters and sayings, SP!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:02:44 PM by Psyop96 »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: CZ Cold War Commemorative's
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »
What ever the opinions on the commemorative are(Why commemorate the cold war? Why not a tribute to the end?).
CZ could drop the red symbols and continue to produce models with the round trigger guard and spur hammer and I would happily add one to my collection.

Offline eastman

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
As I've said here before, they should put the hammer & sickle inside of a red circle with a diagonal slash through it. I'd buy one of those.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »
I am surprised at the Cold War Commemorative as the Czech have really, really NOT liked the Soviets.

I visited Czechoslovakia in 1979 and was standing in line at a state-run shop to purchase some Czech crystal. The old man standing in line in front of me turned around and saw my Texas A&M University class ring on my hand, which at the time was turned to show a prominent star (remember Texas is the Lone Star State).  He mistook me as a Russian, started cursing at me, spit on the floor and left.

Discussing it with other locals, I was told the following:  "It is not true that we Czechs hate the Russians--we love them like brothers. Of course you can pick your friends, but you cannot pick your brothers!"
CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline noway

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 07:49:07 AM »
I am surprised at the Cold War Commemorative as the Czech have really, really NOT liked the Soviets.

I visited Czechoslovakia in 1979 and was standing in line at a state-run shop to purchase some Czech crystal. The old man standing in line in front of me turned around and saw my Texas A&M University class ring on my hand, which at the time was turned to show a prominent star (remember Texas is the Lone Star State).  He mistook me as a Russian, started cursing at me, spit on the floor and left.

Discussing it with other locals, I was told the following:  "It is not true that we Czechs hate the Russians--we love them like brothers. Of course you can pick your friends, but you cannot pick your brothers!"

Agreed that Czechs would not gladly put the hammer and sickle on a Czech-designed handgun, I'm assuming this was a CZ-USA thought-out promotion.

Offline Dr_Nimslow

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »
For me, the biggest reason I bought the pistol, was it's the only way currently to get a new production 75B with the rounded trigger guard, and spur hammer.  I do wish they had just left the red star and hammer and sickle off the gun, or blackened in.

Politics of the whole deal aside, I like the cyrillic roll marks.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »
There are still some of the RETRO models floating around for sale with the rounded trigger guard and spur hammer,they have the short rail frame as well. I like mine real well.
Some have rounded their trigger guards and added the spur hammer as well but then the black guns need refinishing afterwards.

Offline JBLee

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 04:30:38 PM »
I picked one up today, my local dealer had two. I love the lines, the trigger is outstanding, and the Cyrillic writing on the slide is really unique. I wish they could be had for the price of a standard CZ-75B but I think it was an OK deal at $625.00. from the looks of Gunbroker i would have had to pay more if I went that route + shipping and transfer fees. I kind of think of this one as a semi-collector gun that I can shoot a bit and still get my money out of years down the road should I decide to part with it. I really like the grips Dr_Nimslow put on his and I'm going to put some wood slabs on mine too, the gun is supposed to be retro so wood grips is the only way to go in my opinion. I found some nice ones in the "Shadow" style on eBay from Turkey. I'll post pictures when I get them installed.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:39:51 PM by JBLee »
No matter where you go..there you are - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline racoonbeast

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »
I bought one several months ago. I love the round trigger guard and spur hammer too. It is a very nice feeling, slick shooting gun. It came with a great trigger. I could give two squirts about the Commie markings and don't spend a lot of time over thinking them. They look nice, and I am always surrounded by a circle of admirers when I pull it out at the range. I guess if I really wanted to go politically correct, like some kind of liberal, I could boycott it because of the markings, but then I would have to boycott Mosin Nagants, SKSs, Aks, Makarovs, then I would have to extend the boycott to Chinese products like Hawk Shotguns, Pardner Pumps or whatever they are called, basically any thing made by Norinco. Then, of course, I would have to turn a blind eye to anything made in Turkey, like most if not all of CZs shotguns, and let me see, where do I go next with my righteous indignation? Oh yes, didn't Japan and Germany hurt our feelings once? According to my father they did. Maybe I should include them. Give me a break. It a good gun. Its for shooting, not making a political statement.
NRA Life Member

Offline warbird1

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 12:44:16 AM »
I bought mine for $650. Absolutely love it! All you nitpickers would do well to give it a break. Lighten up folks... ;D

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 05:11:44 AM »
I bought mine for $650. Absolutely love it! All you nitpickers would do well to give it a break. Lighten up folks... ;D

No one is knocking the gun itself. The perceived tribute to the cold war is what some don't care for and there are those who suffered through soviet rule or had friends and family who did so they are entitled to their opinion.
How about a tribute that depicts the fall of the wall?

Offline RodII

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »
Hi guys, long time shooter first time CZ owner, except a Dan Wesson Valor. I just today bought one of the Cold War models from the seller in the original post for $549.99 plus $30 shipping. After the sale he listed another for the same price. I am not crazy about the red emblems but I wanted the round trigger guard and spur hammer.  After I shoot it awhile I may try to black out the red star and hammer and sickle. I have to mail off a Money Order, it should be in my hands next week.
Here is a link to the gun-  http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/630575161
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:21:15 PM by RodII »
NRA Benefactor Life

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 05:31:15 PM »
Congratulations,  Rodlll!  Welcome to the forum.  Is this your first CZ?  Ink marks notwithstanding, I'm betting you'll like the way it shoots.

Offline RodII

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
Congratulations,  Rodlll!  Welcome to the forum.  Is this your first CZ?  Ink marks notwithstanding, I'm betting you'll like the way it shoots.

Thanks Tyerone, yes this is my first CZ except for the Valor. I bought my first firearm, a Savage 22 rifle, at age 14 from money earned from working in tobacco and hay fields. I started reloading at 17 so I could use my 270 Winchester as a varmint rifle with 90-100 grain bullets. I am 3 years away from retirement so you can do the math.
I enjoy all firearms, but my favorite is handguns. I have 1911's in 45 and 9MM, a Hi-Power, and a couple more auto's in 9MM and a 380 in the mix. I shoot revolvers, single and double action, and also single shots, T/C Contenders and a XP-100. I have 22LR's in automatic's and revolvers.
I have enough ammo loaded and components on hand that I most likely will not live long enough to shoot it all.
NRA Benefactor Life

Offline dlidster

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »
. . . I may try to black out the red star and hammer and sickle . . .
Just a thought . . .

Rather than blacking out the red you might try removing it with nail polish remover on a q-tip. This will remove the color down to the polycoat, but shouldn't hurt the polycoat a bit. This way you'll end up with color and texture match with the polycoat on the rest of the gun.

For safety's sake, test the nail polish remover on a hidden part of the gun first.

anything