Author Topic: Gun Broker: Auction or spectator sport?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Earl Keese

Gun Broker: Auction or spectator sport?
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:37:19 PM »
CDI currently has one pre-b up for sale. It's a nice one, but...
It's currently over $600 with more than a day remaining.
 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/625464635

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Gun Broker: Auction or spectator sport?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:51:15 PM »
Geez... why would you pay that much.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:53:10 PM »
To be the winner of course!

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:27:26 AM »
To be the winner of course!

I was bidding on a Les Baer custom Carry earlier that I think I coulda gotten a nice deal on.. it was 1250. But I had to stop myself since I was bidding on it just to get a good deal rather than getting a gun I would really use.  :-[

Offline Redcat94

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »
I've never been interested in GB. There are a few online gun stores that I trust who get my business. It's a lot easier to buy from dealers that specialize in C&R guns because so many on GB won't accept them.
Berhati-hati di ruang platform.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 05:37:19 AM »
Just wait until all those turn-ins dry up. You will be lucky to find one on there then for less than $1000.00. I would say that day is getting close.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 06:45:58 AM »
Just wait until all those turn-ins dry up. You will be lucky to find one on there then for less than $1000.00. I would say that day is getting close.
Prices are definitely climbing, I should've bought one more when I had the chance. Of course, then I would've wanted "one more" on top of that one. I wonder how many more "onesies" CDI has left to sell.

Offline eastman

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:27:16 PM »
Both

There have been a good number of items I've bid on to win them (but I don't always win, since I stick to a maximum). There are a few items I watch just to see how high they will go (there is an unissued M1 Garand up over $4k that I'm watching, but could never afford).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline mszvetecz

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »
I've bought several times on GB, but using 'buy now' rather than actual auctions--and have had good experiences all around, with 4-5 vendors.  I've bid in actual auctions on items everyone knew were going to blast into the stratosphere, but never wanted one of those bad enough to win at the end.  I do like buying at LGS (esp. at the range where we're members) but then I pay for the (excellent) service and convenience.  Usually, by the time I get around to buying something, I usually know exactly what I'm looking for, and can find it on GB (or other online sites) for substantially less than LGS's; and there are local FFL's that give terrific service on the transfers.  Just make sure you account for the transfer, the shipping, and the typical ~3% credit card fee, when figuring the GB price.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 10:47:44 PM »
Everyone will have their own price and limit.

just because you think its out of your reach, doesnt mean someone else wont.

for whatever reason the bidders thinks its worth at least that much and probably more.

Offline Psyop96

Gun Broker: Auction or spectator sport?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »
I think this one is getting this much notice because of some chat on social media that the late transitionals are more desirable because of the compatibility with new mags and easy to change front sight. Basically a couple of active bidders here.

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:50:28 AM »
I've purchased twice on Gunbroker--both times getting items that were not easily found elsewhere--a CZ 550 Urban Counter Sniper rifle and a Dan Wesson Bruin Bronze in 10 mm.

I do frequent GB to check out price ranges for the collectible CZs.  That way when I look for them at gun shows I have an idea of what they might be worth.  If a vendor at a show is asking too much for something I'll let him know what I've seen the same for on GB.  Occasionally that will get them in the mood to negotiate.

I've learned how to use the advanced search feature to fine-tune the search and cull the unwanted items from the list.

For example...  to find any CZs in .32 ACP enter the following into the search text box:

cz -dan .32 -revolver

The -dan gets rid of any Dan Wessons and the -revolver gets rid of the Alfa Proj revolvers which come up in CZ searches since the Characteristics tab often is filled out as CZ-USA (I think this is a limitation of the GB posting options).

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:50:02 AM by rdcinhou »
CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline scooby

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 10:43:21 PM »
I've never been interested in GB. There are a few online gun stores that I trust who get my business. It's a lot easier to buy from dealers that specialize in C&R guns because so many on GB won't accept them.
CDI and several others use GB as a storefront; I keep a few saved searches as links to their listings.

I've bought from both gb 'stores' and private sellers, with good results.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 11:02:29 PM »
Agree with a previous post......it is kinda both, for me its an auction until things get crazy then it turns into a spectator sport, gladiator style ;D  Someone's gonna get hurt....hurt bad...you know its coming and don't want to watch but you can't take your eyes off it........entertainment at that point  ::)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:12:30 AM by CZ Aficionado »

Stojanovich

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Strictly a spectator sport for me on guns with no reserve.  I've seen too many 'sell' for a low price only to be re-listed again a few days later.  Some of them have been on GB for what seems like years.  If it has a reserve and/or buy-it-now price that's reasonable, from a reputable seller, I'll consider bidding on an auction even though I haven't had much luck.   

anything