Author Topic: Great weather yesterday - had to go shooting  (Read 86 times)

Offline Mf1ve

Great weather yesterday - had to go shooting
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »

It would have been a crime not to.

My local outdoor range is the Midland Shooters Association, outside of Midland, Texas - a great range with lots of rifle and pistol ranges, including eight big, covered pistol bays open for draw-fire and other ways to have fun and learn while shooting.

My first stop was Range D:

This is a somewhat narrow range that goes out to 500 meters with steel targets. I managed to clang the 500 meter targets a bunch of times with my home-assembled, 80% lower-based AR:

After that, it was onward to the pistol bays to play with the P-01 and the SP-01 Tac.

The P-01 has new Meprolight sights (installed at home). I measured the placement of the factory rear sight (dead-center) and copied that during the install, but I was prepared to pull out the sight pusher to make adjustments. Nah. The shot groups were nicely centered - Done!

Next was the SP-01, which I spent a lot more time with since it is still fairly new to me. At the end of the day, I shot a few 6 to 8 inch groups at 30 meters, all centered nicely. This is really good pistol.

I also had the chance to shoot a (Bulgarian) Makarov at 30 meters. I managed a 10 inch group, not bad. Such a soft-shooting little gun, and the trigger is downright decent. I like it, but not enough to buy one.