Author Topic: I have improved my grip !!! OMG  (Read 382 times)

Offline DOC 1500

I have improved my grip !!! OMG
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »
The past couple of months I have been wanting to improve my grip , I watched the lot of videos by Pro Comp shooters on the thumbs forward grip, and I have been drawing and dry firing on and off for about a month now. But I just haven't been feeling real comfortable with it.
I'm 57 and really don't work out at all, although I work hard at my job a delivery truck driver which is physical, some fairly heavy lifting required, but still I know I'm losing muscle mass As I get older and don't have the grip I had 15 years ago. ( frustrating to say the least).. I should be working out but just don't have the drive to do it many days.
I was out in the garage the other day at my workbench cleaning up a few things, I rediscovered a grip exerciser that I used years ago, ( you know coil spring in the shape of a V you just squeeze it ) I took the grip exerciser with me to work and left it in the truck, for the past 5 days I've been exercising with it and squeezing it about 50 times each hand ( gripping it like I would the pistol with my right hand squeezing only with my thumb, middle finger, ring finger and pinky finger ) and pretty much the same exercises with the left hand about 4 times a day, usually more.
I took some time early this evening to do some quick draws and drive fires , and much to my amazement I have a very significantly  stronger grip on the pistol. I believe this is going to be a game changer in the control of muzzle flip and my shooting ability. Just wanted to pass this along to you older guys it's made a difference and I'm seeing it immediately. I hope this helps the old guys and anybody else. good luck .
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline K3JB

Re: I have improved my grip !!! OMG
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:53:51 PM »
I agree, a good work out with a finger and hand exerciser really helps. A older and more experienced competition shooter told me has has used a "grip Master" to build up the strength in his fingers and hand for years. I got started about a year ago and I know my hold has greatly improved.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »
I use Captains of Crush Gripers.  I use 60 lb & 80 lb as woem-up 3 sets of 10 reps each. then I try 120 lb. 3-5 reps., then back to 100 lb 3 sets of 8-10 reps. then its cool down with 2 sets of 10 with 80 lb and 3 sets of 10 reps. with 60 lb. Only do this every other day !  If you don't do warm up and cool down when you get to the higher lb you will get tennis elbow.  Oh ya don't do 50 reps either. Been  there, done that= tennis elbow.  tennis elbow thaks 6-8 month to recover from!  I am working on moving up to 140 lb soon.

11 strengths to choose from

No. 1401 Captains of Crush Guide - c. 60 lb. (Novice, rehab)
    No. 1402 Captains of Crush Sport - c. 80 lb. (Warm-up, conditioning)
    No. 1250 Captains of Crush Trainer - c. 100 lb. (Strong guys start here)
    No. 1250.5 Captains of Crush Point Five - c. 120 lb. (Bridge to the No. 1)
    No. 1251 Captains of Crush No. 1 - c. 140 lb. (Already gripping, start here)
    No. 1251.5 Captains of Crush No. 1.5 - c. 167.5 lb. (Bridge to the No. 2)
    No. 1252 Captains of Crush No. 2 - c. 195 lb. (Life-saving levels of grip strength)
    No. 1252.5 Captains of Crush No. 2.5 - c. 237.5 lb. (Bridge to the No. 3)
    No. 1253 Captains of Crush No. 3 - c. 280 lb. (World-class:  get certified)
    No. 1253.5 Captains of Crush No. 3.5 - c. 322.5 lb. (Bridge to the No. 4)
    No. 1272 Captains of Crush No. 4 - c. 365 lb. (Be like Magnus Samuelsson!)

Each $22.95

http://www.ironmind.com/product-info/grip-strength-training-tools/captains-of-crush-grippers/captains-of-crush-grippers-faq/

If you place an order.  You'll find Grip Training for Handgunners, including Ron Avery's “Using Grip Products by IronMind” in the IronMind e-store. Enter keycode AH-RA10 for a free copy with your next IronMind order.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:29:46 PM by Bossgobbler »

Offline streets ahead

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:28:33 AM »
I've been using Heavy Grips.  I bought the 100, 150, 200 lb set on Amazon for $30.
Once I was able to close the 200 lb gripper with my left hand, I ordered the 250, 300, 350 set for, again, $30.

They're a great value.  I've been stuck on the 250 lb gripper for months now and still can't fully close it with my left hand.  I've hit a plateau, because I'm not super consistent.  Regardless, I've noticed an enormous difference in my shooting.  Controlling 9mm with a Shadow is a piece of cake.

I also enjoy shaking hands with people a lot more. :)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 04:23:22 AM »
Is there a Jerry Miculek version of the Grip Crushers?  ;)
CZ 24 (.380), CZ 45 (.25), CZ 52 (7.62x25 Tokarev), Vzor 70 (.32), CZ 75BΩ (9mm), CZ75D PCR Compact (9mm), CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom (9mm), CZ 82 (9mm Mak), CZ 83 (.380), CZ 97BE (.45), CZ 75 P07 DUTY (.40 S&W), CZ P09 DUTY (9mm), CZ 452 American (.17 HMR) & CZ 550 UCS Urban Counter Sniper (.308 Win)

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »

Jerry most likely uses leaf springs from a UPS truck.   :o

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »

Jerry most likely uses leaf springs from a UPS truck.   :o
Jerry needed tougher springs than a UPS truck, so he snagged a pair off of my smoothbore tank trailer. These things take a beating!

anything