Author Topic: My review of CZ75 BD 9mm  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Superlow1200T

My review of CZ75 BD 9mm
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »
I recently picked up a brand new CZ75BD in 9mm here in California.  I already own two CZ75B pistols in 40S&W, and I decided to add a 9mm to the stable.  In this review I will discuss my modifications and impressions of the pistol.

1.  Initial Fit-and-Finish -- The fit-and-finish of the gun is fine; it definitely has that "new gun" look, without a trace of any scratches or whatnot.  The gun came with a fair amount of packing grease on it, which wiped off easily.

2.  Modifications.  My local gunsmith (Mike at West Coast Gun Works) has made a particular specialty in modifying the triggers on CZ pistols.  Since he did a superb job on my two 40 cal. pistols, I literally went straight from the gun shop to my gunsmith and had him do a trigger job.  His turnaround is less than a week, and the trigger is now superb both on DA (for that first shot) and on subsequent SA shots.  Mike's trigger job is similar or identical to what other better-known CZ shops do, and I am 100% satisfied with his work. (And yes, I have compared with CZs from better known shops.  I'm sticking with Mike at WCGW.)

At the same time I had him add the Tru-Glo combination Tritium/FO sights, which I have reviewed earlier here on this site.  A couple of pics:

These are the sights -- shown here on one of my CZ 40s, but exactly the same on the new 9mm:

At the range I was "blown away" with what a sweet shooter the new CZ75BD pistola is, with the new sights and trigger job.  It is handles recoil better than my Beretta 92FS (nothing against the Beretta, by the way, it is a good pistola).  But the all-steel CZ really imparts a solid feeling to each shot.  It was almost like shooting .22 cal.  (I apologize for not having a target or two handy to post.) I put 230 rounds through the pistol without one single feeding or firing issue.  Gotta love that.  The CZ75BD is definitely my favorite 9mm piece.

I'll hunt around for a target and likely post one or two of them later this week.  Meanwhile I hope someone enjoys this little review.
The difference between a citizen and a civilian is that the citizen makes the safety of the body politic his personal responsibility -- protecting it with his life.  The civilian does not.

Offline copemech

Re: My review of CZ75 BD 9mm
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »
Yup! You caught the CZ bug! O0

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:16:53 PM »
They are hard to find, but you ought to try an SP-01, which is very similar but has a rail. Frankly, I never use a rail for anything, but the additional weight at the end of the barrel further mitigates muzzle flip and allows one to get back on target more quickly. The slight extra weight also further seems to reduce recoil, although as you say it is like shooting a .22LR anyway.
CZ 75 SP-01, 97, P-01, PCR, P-06, P10C

Offline Superlow1200T

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:37:31 AM »
They are hard to find, but you ought to try an SP-01, which is very similar but has a rail. Frankly, I never use a rail for anything, but the additional weight at the end of the barrel further mitigates muzzle flip and allows one to get back on target more quickly. The slight extra weight also further seems to reduce recoil, although as you say it is like shooting a .22LR anyway.

The SP-01 is a nice piece but never available in these parts.  Don't really care about the rail anyway; the CZ is not a gun I would want to hang a laser on and I don't like gun-mounted lights.  The Tritium sights work fine for low-light conditions.  I like the classic lines of the CZ75 series.
The difference between a citizen and a civilian is that the citizen makes the safety of the body politic his personal responsibility -- protecting it with his life.  The civilian does not.

Offline Timex

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:04:08 PM »
Thanks for the post.  It is great to view the sights and grips that I am considering.   I plan on adding a new CZ 75B to my inventory soon.  Trying to decide over the B, BD, or the Omega.  Leaning toward the B at this time. 

CZ 455 .17 HMR, CZ 455 Training Rifle .22LR

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
I'm getting anxious waiting for my BD to show up at my FFL.

anything