Author Topic: Testing my SP-01 Compact w CGW Bushing  (Read 461 times)

Online Scarlett Pistol

Testing my SP-01 Compact w CGW Bushing
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:48:19 PM »
I recently got my second SP-01 Compact back from CGW (it was being looked at to see if the hammer hooks were off, they weren't... That's a different story). I had Scott send me a bushing and front fiber optic sight when it came home. I got those installed and made it to the range with my boss for a lunch break today. Sadly our VP called and we had to cut it short, so there's only 1 target with a few rounds.

My goals were to see if the sights were on and see how accurate the pistol was with the bushing. Under those pretenses my groups are broken up for analysis, not to claim I was doing these groups. Also, I've only shot about 30 to 50 rounds from a wrist rest at 25 yards, so I'm definitely the weak link and I was doing my best to test the bushing and sights. So, here we go...

Group 1: 5 shots @ 25 yards. Wrist rest.
G1 subgroup 1: First 2 shots. 3 dots were all aligned and on the square. That group was 2.25".
G1 subgroup 2: Last 3 shots. Front dot was on the bottom of the rear sight notch. These grouped below POA and had a size of 2.25".

Group 2: 4 shots @ 25 yards. Wrist rest.
G2 subgroup 1: First 2 shots. 3 dots were all aligned and on the square. That group was 1.00".
G2 subgroup 2: Last 2 shots. Front dot was on the bottom of the rear sight notch. These grouped below POA and I opened them up. Since I was trying to see how accurate the pistol is with the bushing I didn't even bother measure. This was a me error, not the pistol.

The shot with "Travis" was 1 shot my boss wanted to try at 25 yards.

Overall: Sights are on and at 25 yards I need to line the 3 sights up. The bushing and pistol are super accurate. To really vet them I would need a ransom rest or someone like Joe L. Realize these groups are coming from a much less experienced shooter, so don't take them as the best results the bushing offers.

Next time out I'll open her up and see just how that light trigger with the great reset performs. She is shaping up to really compete with some of the better 1911's! Here's pics from home to show her off a little more.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Testing my SP-01 Compact w CGW Bushing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:42:23 PM »
Really looking great.

Have you tried a smaller but clearly contrasting POA?   A 1" or 2" Black circle on that target will show up clearly at 25 yards. 
"Aim small = Miss small".  Although that 1" group on that target is pretty darn good with ANY pistol! 
Your pistols look great too.
Thanks for the pics.

Online Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 12:31:03 AM »
Really looking great.

Have you tried a smaller but clearly contrasting POA?   A 1" or 2" Black circle on that target will show up clearly at 25 yards. 
"Aim small = Miss small".  Although that 1" group on that target is pretty darn good with ANY pistol! 
Your pistols look great too.
Thanks for the pics.
Thanks! I haven't tried that... I'll need to try some new things for aiming at distance. I am at least seeing improvement each range trip and when I fall apart I can diagnose quickly. Hopefully I can just keep getting faster,  more accurate, and more consistent from here.

They sure are, not that I did anything original... Just some sweet CZ looks with some nice looking aftermarket parts.
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:35:56 AM »
Not everyone will (can??) work on their own guns and be successful.  That's win #2.  Win#1 is picking a nice pistol to work on, the CZ P01.

Win#3 is actually taking it to the range to try it out and to improve the pistol's function and your ability to use it and understand how you and it work together.

Win#4 is the small groups.

Nice looking pistols.

I ran across the two bushing I'd bought earlier.  I really need to think about using them.  Maybe when I remove the factory sights from my compact to send it off for refinishing.  Getting that done before the refinishing would be the smart thing to do.  Just gotta remember to be smart before I send it off.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 07:54:32 AM »
Congrats on putting a nice together a nice looking and good shooting gun. The flat trigger is addictive.
  I'm probably going to get some grief over this comment but I'll say it anyway. Rested or not, 2 shots do not make a "group". I understand the difficulty of shooting at 25yds with open sights, even rested, so I'm not commenting on the shooting. I've found that accuracy and lunch break shooting don't go hand in hand. I've come away disappointed every time I've tried it.

Online Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »
Thanks M1A4ME! Dang, you've got 2 just laying around... Let us know of when you get them in and how they do!

Earl, no grief from me. Like I said, I was seeing how the sights were working at the same time and after 2 mags had to wrap up unexpectedly.  If I had time I would have gone for 4 and 5 shot groups with the same sight alignment. I'll do so the next time out and be a little more official.
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
I ordered one for the Pre B CZ 85, then found out the bushings are different.

I ordered the other one for the CZ 75 Compact I bought last fall for my CZ 85 Compact clone project, then my wife appropriated that pistol and with the groups it shoots it didn't need one anyway.  Now I've got the CZ 85 Compact clone close to being done but I'm not sure if it'll need one either.  I will offer one to my son for his CZ 75 SA - if he wants to try it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

anything