Author Topic: New P-01 disassembles after 5 rounds  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Inusuit

New P-01 disassembles after 5 rounds
« on: March 11, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
Not having a good day.  I finally got to shoot my new CZ 75 PO-1.  Didn't get through the first magazine.  4-5 rounds fired, then just a click.  Firing pin AWOL.  Found the pin w/spring and the firing pin block stop w/spring, but no firing pin stop.  Grazed the outdoor range with a strong magnet for the stop, no joy.  Does the PO-1 even have the firing pin stop?  Should the roll pin have retained the firing pin?  Some research indicates removal of the firing pin roll pin should be necessary for removal of the firing pin "by a competent gunsmith." I had not previously attempted to remove the firing pin, but have successfully done so with my 1982 vintage 75.  No roll pin there, nor of course on my 1911s.

And I can't find a replacement firing pin stop.  CZ USA lists one (FIRING PIN STOP TASC SPORT/IPSC Product Number: 047006401601). I'm not sure it's the correct one but it's all they show for the PO-1.

I suppose I have no alternative but to take the PO-1 back to the shop where I purchased it.  They have a competent gunsmith who may be able to get the correct parts and figure out what happened.

I have examined the firing pin "tunnel" in the slide.  No crud or obstructions other than the roll pin.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.  I'm losing faith in CZ, although operator error is always a likely explanation in my case.

Offline longgonedaddy

Re: New P-01 disassembles after 5 rounds
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:21:51 PM »
Wow, that's a tough introduction to a new pistol...purchase this retaining pin from CGW...get one for a spare, too.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/61100-tempered-spring-steel-firing-pin-retaining-pin/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:24:13 PM by longgonedaddy »

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
Unless you detail stripped your gun before firing - and re-assembled it incorrectly - it's highly unlikely to be user error. And, I wouldn't lose faith in CZ, this is pretty anomalous - even the best manufacturers can and do put out the occasional citrus.

My advice would be to call CZ Customer Service Monday morning and they'll get you squared away.

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses and recommendations.  I did not detail strip before the range session, only a field strip to clean and lube.  The original firing pin roll pin is still in place in the slide.  This is the second problem with this pistol.  The trigger return spring broke after a few sessions of dry firing with new snap caps and even a piece of rubber washer in the frame to cushion the hammer fall.  My gunsmith installed new CGW springs and parts, but didn't do anything with slide components.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:36:39 PM »
That is definitely out of the norm for CZ. And this is a brand new pistol?
Out of curiosity, exactly what springs and parts did your GS install??   
  My gunsmith installed new CGW springs and parts, but didn't do anything with slide components.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
Strange, i am interested to hear what you find out OP.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline doc171

• FIELD MEDICAL TECHNICIAN
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
Me thinks something is rotten in Rotterdamn. And it's human related, not the owner either!

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 12:19:16 AM »
Me thinks something is rotten in Rotterdamn. And it's human related, not the owner either!

I agree -- this is so far out of the norm that one wonders what shenanigans happened between the time it left the manufacturer and the time it left the gun store. My five CZs were all "perfect out of the box" and (knock on wood) have yet to display a single malfunction.

The P-01 in particular normally has an extremely low rate of part failure as it has qualified for NATO use.

Counterfeit? Somebody strip the good parts and replaced them with junk before sale?
CZ 75 SP-01, 97, P-01, PCR, P-06, P10C

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 07:57:45 AM »
How does the firing pin come out if the firing  ping roll pin is still in place?

It's notched (the firing pin) and the roll pin limits it's travel within the distance/range allowed by the notch in the firing pin.

The firing pin holds the firing pin block/spring in (when the firing pin is in place) so I can see it falling out as the slide moves rearward after firing.

I'm just stumped on how the firing pin/spring get out the back of the slide with an intact roll pin in the slide.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 11:23:04 AM »
I really appreciate the comments and questions.  I will try to respond. 

M1A4ME. How does the firing pin come out if the firing  pin roll pin is still in place?   Beats me.  I agree it shouldn't have happened but the firing pin roll pin is clearly in place and I can feel it with a pin punch slid down the FP channel.  I don't know how the firing pin could get out with the roll pin in place but it did.  I'm fairly new to CZs, but have been shooting for 65 years and tinkering with guns for a long time.  I can take a 1911 completely apart and reassemble with no problems, so I have some limited knowledge of firearms mechanics.  It may be possible that the firing pin was factory installed incorrectly with the retaining notches in the pin not correctly aligned with the roll pin?

Sooltauq Counterfeit? Somebody strip the good parts and replaced them with junk before sale?  Maybe.  I trust the LGS where I traded for the PO-1.  I have purchased other firearms from them and never had a problem.  To all appearances, the PO-1 was new in the box.  The extensive torture tests and NATO acceptance (yeah, I know that the NATO thing may be just a marketing ploy by CZ-USA) and the amazing ergonomics of the pistol in hand were two reasons I selected the PO-1.  The roll pin retaining the FP shows no evidence of removal.  Ends of the pin are pristine.

cntrydawwwg That is definitely out of the norm for CZ. And this is a brand new pistol? Out of curiosity, exactly what springs and parts did your GS install??   As far as I know (see above), the pistol was brand new in the box showing no signs of use or anyone messing with it.  As noted, I have done business with this LGS in the past and trust them.  Not to say that something didn't happen between the distributor and the retailer. Unlikely, I think.   My GS had replaced the same parts on a Canik.  I was happy with those results as it significantly reduced and smoothed the DA and SA trigger weight. The Canik has functioned flawlessly after the mods and was the reason I opted for work on the PO-1.  I'm embarrassed that I don't remember what specific parts were replaced, but they were all in the frame, none in the slide so there should not have been any effect on the firing pin or other slide parts.  The presenting problem for frame replacement parts was failure of the trigger return spring after dry firing with snap caps and my desire for a lightened/smoother trigger pull.  So I had my GS use CGW parts.

I will contact CZ customer service on Monday and will post the results.  I hope they will either send me prepaid label or allow me return only the slide and parts to avoid excessive shipping costs.

Again, thanks to all of you for your assistance to a newbie on this forum.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »
Yeah, if it can be covered by warranty I'd contact CZ USA.  They should send you return authorization info so you can ship it back to them. 

If the firing pin was not correctly oriented the pin wouldn't have gone in place.

Makes me wonder if the pin sheared on both sides??  Leaving the two ends in place in the sides of the slide.  That would be a sort of unique incident.  I've heard of people breaking that pin but don't have any experience with that happening to my CZ's.  My newest Compact was never dry fired, or fired, by me before I replaced a lot of the internals with CGW parts (extended firing pin with return spring, 15 lb. hammer spring and hardened roll pin).  The case was still sealed when I picked it up, I cut the tape/seal on it while the FFL was finishing up his paperwork.  Yet, when I drove the factory firing pin retaining pin out it was partically cracked and dented from firing pin contact.  Bad pin?  Someone at the factory dry firing it a lot for some reason?  I have no idea.

Good luck with it.  They are nice pistols.  Really feels good in the hand.

I've got the urban gray model.  I've carried it just a few times but it doesn't sit right in my AM3 holster and irritates my bicep. 
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline cntrydawwwg

New P-01 disassembles after 5 rounds
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »
OP, at this point I'd contact the gunsmith and ask exactly what was replaced, since your not sure.
   Yes, they were probably in the frame, but, since your not sure, you need to rule them out. Only parts in the frame to replace for lightening the trigger without touching the slide would be the TRS and hammer spring. If he happened to put even just a spring kit in to truly lighten the pull, that would also include FP spring and FP block spring, which means slide work.
    I'm not doubting you, (I'm doubting your GS) but as I said, you need to know what was done. IMHO, to "significantly smooth and reduce the trigger", would mean that more than the TRS or HS were replaced.
    Regardless, you need to know what was done to your pistol before contacting CZ. It may have voided your warranty. If so, call CGW. They'll get you the parts you need.
    If GS is ruled out, contact CZ customer service. They'll take care of you and send you a shipping label.
   Once you do get it taken care of, please post back. This is very odd indeed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:07:48 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
Do you have a picture of the firing pin you can post?

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
I spoke to the the guy who worked on my gun.  I was incorrect, he did replace the FP and FPB springs.  So CZ is not a fault and I would not expect them to cover this under warranty.  He's being less than helpful about what to do next.

I think I will order the CGW retaining pins as longgonedaddy suggested and take it from there no doubt with a different gunsmith.

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures but have some chores to do first.  The firing pin does not appear to be damaged at all.   

Offline Tok36

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
I spoke to the the guy who worked on my gun.  I was incorrect, he did replace the FP and FPB springs.  So CZ is not a fault and I would not expect them to cover this under warranty.  He's being less than helpful about what to do next.

I think I will order the CGW retaining pins as longgonedaddy suggested and take it from there no doubt with a different gunsmith.

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures but have some chores to do first.  The firing pin does not appear to be damaged at all.

Including images in your posts.
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=14704
If you have a mobile device, download the Tap a Talk app. You can load pics straight from there.
Note: You can use any image hosting site, i like Imgur.com. Make an account, upload your pictures, copy the BBCode (message boards & forums) provided by the hosting site then paste it into the forum message. Its real easy once you get it.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

anything