Author Topic: New P-01 disassembles after 5 rounds  (Read 1740 times)

Online cntrydawwwg

New P-01 disassembles after 5 rounds
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 03:31:49 PM »
I spoke to the the guy who worked on my gun.  I was incorrect, he did replace the FP and FPB springs.  So CZ is not a fault and I would not expect them to cover this under warranty.  He's being less than helpful about what to do next.

I think I will order the CGW retaining pins as longgonedaddy suggested and take it from there no doubt with a different gunsmith.

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures but have some chores to do first.  The firing pin does not appear to be damaged at all.
   Whoa! This guy makes a mistake, and he's not gonna fix it??!! This is definitely on him. Is he the owner, or is there someone over his head you can go to??
   I'm guessing somehow he didn't get the FP back in correctly. What kind of GS doesn't stand by his work? Seriously, even if he says he'll go ahead and take care of it, I wouldn't take it to him even if your life depended on it. Oh, guess what? It does.
  Reputable is someone who stands behind there work. Mistakes happen, but in this case since he's not cooperating, I wouldn't trust him anymore.
   Once you get pics someone can help you out. Really it's not that hard to do the FP once you watch a few vids and read a few threads. If you're still not comfortable with it, call CGW. You can mail them your upper (no FFL) and they'll get it up and running.
   You're among friends, you'll get all the help you need
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:33:56 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Online cntrydawwwg

New P-01 disassembles after 5 rounds
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
Oh, and I would let every firearm person you know exactly what has transpired, and how the GS is handling it. Unless they are a huge shop, a lot of GS work comes from word of mouth.
  Someone that doesn't stand behind their work deserves to be hurt in the pocked book. I would help him lose as many sales as possible.
    Just My Vengeful Opinion.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:34:52 PM by cntrydawwwg »

Offline olfarhors

Re: New P-01 disassembles after 5 rounds
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »
hmmm? if I remember correctly about the only way I can see this happening  is if the new firing pin was somehow installed incorrectly?
 there is just no way I see that the firing pin can come out of the channel IF the  roll pin holding it in is still in place.
I don't know but doubt that the firing pin could be put in that way and still fit/operate correctly but don't know for sure.
The CZ -75 doesn't have a firing pin retainer like say a  1911, but is held in place with a roll pin mentioned, and yes I would replace it with a solid unit from Cajun If I had to take the old one out just to be safe, then you can dry fire it till  your finger wears out.

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
Again, I appreciate the assistance members of this forum have provided to this newbie.  Today, I found the correct sized pin punch and drove out the firing pin retaining roll pin.

Should that pin have a notch in it?  I looked at the pins on the CGW site and those do not show a notch that I can see.  At this point, I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly again), the the guy who worked on my gun notched the roll pin because he could not seat it.  Possibly because the firing pin was in the incorrect orientation with the notch/slot in the FP to accept the retaining pin?  The notch in the retaining pin would explain why the parts departed when I shot the pistol.

For a number of reasons I won't go into here, I will not pursue this issue with the guy who worked on my gun. He's a one man shop. I have ordered replacement retaining pins from CGW.  This can't be rocket science, right?  I should be able to put the parts in, correctly oriented, tap in the roll pin and be good to go?

I'm still working on learning how to post pictures.

Offline doc171

• FIELD MEDICAL TECHNICIAN
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 05:32:19 PM »
If I remember correctly, I read on a post somewhere, that it was not recommended to dry fire a CZ without using snapcaps. It would result in causing a "gap" to start forming on the firing pin retaining pin (they are said to be "soft"). I got my PO1 last September and since I knew I was going to PRO it I dry fired it and if I remember a gap in the factory pin started forming. I may still have it and if I do I will post a photo. Remember, CGW and the forum members and YouTube videos are your best teachers on maintanace and upgrading any CZ handgun. And CZC too.

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 07:33:10 PM »
If I remember correctly, I read on a post somewhere, that it was not recommended to dry fire a CZ without using snapcaps. It would result in causing a "gap" to start forming on the firing pin retaining pin (they are said to be "soft"). I got my PO1 last September and since I knew I was going to PRO it I dry fired it and if I remember a gap in the factory pin started forming. I may still have it and if I do I will post a photo. Remember, CGW and the forum members and YouTube videos are your best teachers on maintanace and upgrading any CZ handgun. And CZC too.

My PO1 was always fired with snap caps and for most of the time with a rubber buffer between the hammer and the breech face.  Still broke the trigger return spring.    I ordered a couple CGW firing pin retaining pins.  Should have ordered a new firing pin while I was at it.

Online cntrydawwwg

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 12:44:31 AM »
Did the pin look like this?

If so, it's broke. Good thing you're getting the new parts. On the new CGW pin make sure the groove is pointed up. ( 12 o'clock).

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »
Wow, yes it has that same notch.  Do you think the damage is from dry firing or what?  I saw the diagram on the Cajun Gun Works site showing how the factory firing pin doesn't conform to the roll pin.  I'm going to order a CGW firing pin.  Yeah, the groove goes at 12 o'clock.  Thanks, cntrydawwg, your post and picture clarify the issue.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:03:53 PM by Inusuit »

Online cntrydawwwg

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
Your welcome. Yes, it's from dry firing near as I can tell. The above pic is mine, but came out of a used pistol I bought. I only put a few rounds through it to function check, then added Cajun magic.

Online cntrydawwwg

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
Just to add, now that I'm thinking about it.
   I'd bet it was broke before your smith worked on it. Now stay with me here.
    The pin was broke, smith pulled it out, replaced the springs, smith (being incompetent) reinstalled the broken roll pin "broken" notch down. So, nothing really holding the FP, it popped out.
   Buuuut, still, how did it bypass the FP block? Gonna take someone smarter than me to answer that

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 01:06:30 AM »
I spoke to the the guy who worked on my gun.  I was incorrect, he did replace the FP and FPB springs.  So CZ is not a fault and I would not expect them to cover this under warranty.  He's being less than helpful about what to do next.

I think I will order the CGW retaining pins as longgonedaddy suggested and take it from there no doubt with a different gunsmith.

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures but have some chores to do first.  The firing pin does not appear to be damaged at all.

In a sense, not surprising. I've found that a number of local gunsmiths for whatever reason seem to choke on CZs and don't have the right parts or equipment on hand to repair or replace them correctly. When I was a newbie, I learned this lesson from simply trying to upgrade my sights -- and eventually (after several "highly qualified" gunsmiths tried) did the right thing and delivered them to Mesa. If I ever had a significant problem in the future, they'd go directly to Mesa (or CZ if I thought it was their problem).

Glad that you were able to quickly get to the bottom of all this, and thankfully without any irreparable damage to yourself or your CZ. Now enjoy!
CZ 75 SP-01, 97, P-01, PCR, P-06, P10C

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »
Again, I'm grateful for the wisdom on this forum and the helpful advice.  I'm waiting for new retaining pins and a firing pin from CGW.

cntrydawwg:  I think you are right on all counts, that the retaining pin was damaged before the guy touched it, and he probably assumed the notch should match the milled portion of the firing pin.  I have no idea about the firing pin block.  After the five rounds were fired, both the firing pin/spring AND the FPB/spring were on the ground.   

Sooltauq:  My research attempting to understand what happened to my PO1 leads me to understand that CZs are a lot more complicated than my 1911 which I can strip to the frame.  Somewhat odd that the guy who worked on my CZ did the same "tune up" on a Canik and it runs great.

Replacing the firing pin and retaining pin shouldn't require a gunsmith?  Tinkering with the PO1, I removed and replaced the existing roll pin a couple of times.  Tap in gently from the left side with a plastic hammer?  Use a pin punch as a slave pin to hold parts in correct alignment?  Any hacks other than the groove goes up?  Is the retaining pin the same on both ends?

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 12:10:02 PM »
Installing the FP and the FP Block is not difficult.  See if this video is helpful
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:44:09 PM by longgonedaddy »

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »
Replacing the firing pin and retaining pin shouldn't require a gunsmith?

If you are comfortable with it and have the right parts and tools, you shouldn't have any special problem. IF (knock on wood) I had a problem, I'd probably just send mine to Mesa, but that's just me who really doesn't like to do much more to my firearms than a basic field strip and clean and occasionally replace the recoil spring, i.e., I'm not a natural tinkerer like so many others who are fortunate to be.

BTW, it is why we all need to be well stocked with multiple CZs in case one goes down.  O0
CZ 75 SP-01, 97, P-01, PCR, P-06, P10C

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 02:44:19 PM »
Installing the FP and the FP Block is not difficult.  See if this video is helpful

If you are comfortable with it and have the right parts and tools, you shouldn't have any special problem. IF (knock on wood) I had a problem, I'd probably just send mine to Mesa, but that's just me who really doesn't like to do much more to my firearms than a basic field strip and clean and occasionally replace the recoil spring, i.e., I'm not a natural tinkerer like so many others who are fortunate to be.

BTW, it is why we all need to be well stocked with multiple CZs in case one goes down.0[/quote]

Longgonedaddy, thanks for the video.  I think I got this.

Sooltauq, I

anything