CZ PISTOL CLUBS > CLUB CZ97

Interest in a CZ97 - Questions

(1/4) > >>

TexanFX2:
Fairly new to CZs after trying a friend's SP-01 and loved it. As many are already aware, the SP-01 fits like a glove to many, and I was not the exception, except that I also happen to shoot it extremely well. This lead me to get an SP-01 and a Cajunized P-01.
During one of my outings to the range, another friend allowed me to shoot his 1911 double stack. To his surprise, I shot it even better he does.

I don't have any .45 ACP in my collection, and have been reading some about 1911s (Double stack) and came across the CZ97 being built to "compete" with 1911s. This being stated, I have a few questions I hope some may help clear out:

1) Would you choose a 1911 over a CZ97 or the other way around? Why?
2) Is it a true statement that a CZ97 (Stock or Upgraded) is as accurate or maybe even better than a stock or custom 1911?
3) Is the grip of a CZ97 wider/larger than an SP-01? (I ask because the SP-01 is absolutely perfect for me)
4) Anyone with both an SP-01 ac 97 that can take a photo of how both grips looks like side by side from rear?
5) Are there any recommended upgrade path for CZ97s? Is SAO worth it in a 97?
6) In the event I decide to get one, should I get the B or BD version? Is there any advantage of the decocker version over the safety?

FWIW - This will not be competition gun. It will be a range, home defense gun. I am still debating wether to get a Shadow2 and P10C as well, and if the 97 is worth adding to my set?

Tok36:
I will refrain from comparing the design of the CZ 97 to the 1911, i have limited experience with the 1911 platform. On the subject of comparing the grip dimensions of the CZ97 and SP-01 i feel more well versed.

Here is a picture comparing the two pistols from the side. In my mind the width/depth difference of the CZ97 in comparison to the SP-01 is most significant. The width of both pistols can be modified with different grips. In my case the CZ97 with the factory aluminum thin grips felt like a 2x4. It was too thin for its depth and left a gap at my upper palm. Installing the factory rubber grips fixed this for me. An added upside of the rubber gips is their low cost. Bare in mind every one is different i have seen plenty of folks who like the 97 with the aluminum grips. I believe hand size and finger length figure into the equation.

<---------CZ97 / SP-01---------->

CZ75 vs 97 Grip Depth
CZ 97 - 2.285 (grip scerw) 2.305 (bottem of grip)
CZ 75/SP-01 - 2.155 (grip scerw) 2.155 (bottem of grip)

Aprox. Grip width dimensions.
CZ 97: CZ Rubber grips - Width 1.270
           Factory Aluminum thin grips -  Width 1.132

CZ 75/SP-01: Factory rubber grips - 1.440
                     Factory plastic grips- 1.430

From all that i have seen i believe that the answer to your second question is yes. In terms of mechanical accuracy i think they are comparable. I am also interested to hear other forum members input on your questions.

Edit: Here is another comparison picture.
<---------CZ97 / SP-01---------->

Earl Keese:
Tok, I think you have your grip width measurements backwards.

Earl Keese:

--- Quote from: TexanFX2 on March 11, 2017, 07:54:22 PM ---Fairly new to CZs after trying a friend's SP-01 and loved it. As many are already aware, the SP-01 fits like a glove to many, and I was not the exception, except that I also happen to shoot it extremely well. This lead me to get an SP-01 and a Cajunized P-01.
During one of my outings to the range, another friend allowed me to shoot his 1911 double stack. To his surprise, I shot it even better he does.

I don't have any .45 ACP in my collection, and have been reading some about 1911s (Double stack) and came across the CZ97 being built to "compete" with 1911s. This being stated, I have a few questions I hope some may help clear out:

1) Would you choose a 1911 over a CZ97 or the other way around? Why?
I have and like both.
2) Is it a true statement that a CZ97 (Stock or Upgraded) is as accurate or maybe even better than a stock or custom 1911?
With the Cajun Gun Works bushing modification, good as or better than some custom 1911's. As it comes from CZ, accuracy is comparable to mid range 1911's.
3) Is the grip of a CZ97 wider/larger than an SP-01? (I ask because the SP-01 is absolutely perfect for me)
Wider, and the available grips don't have that magical palm swell.
4) Anyone with both an SP-01 ac 97 that can take a photo of how both grips looks like side by side from rear?
See Tok's reply.
5) Are there any recommended upgrade path for CZ97s? Is SAO worth it in a 97?
Mine is polished, with a CGW race hammer and flat sao trigger. 2lb pull with a 1mm reset. I'd say it's worth it. CGW bushing mod is a must have, figure it into purchase price. From the CGW website -"Our best 25 yard, sand  bag rested 5 shot group with match grade hand loaded ammo is 9/16? center-to-center with the CGW bushing modification".
6) In the event I decide to get one, should I get the B or BD version? Is there any advantage of the decocker version over the safety?
I'd go with safety so you have the option to convert to sao.

FWIW - This will not be competition gun. It will be a range, home defense gun. I am still debating wether to get a Shadow2 and P10C as well, and if the 97 is worth adding to my set?
I love mine, but you should at least hold one before buying. It is not a "slightly larger Sp-01" grip. It will feel familiar but not that "omg I just heard the angels sing" moment that some of us have when we pick up a P-01 or SP-01.

--- End quote ---

Tok36:

--- Quote from: Earl Keese on March 11, 2017, 09:13:51 PM ---Tok, I think you have your grip width measurements backwards.

--- End quote ---

Which ones Earl?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version