Author Topic: New pistol shooter training aid I am now using: MantisX  (Read 1386 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: New pistol shooter training aid I am now using: MantisX
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »
Thanks, Joe.

Now I'll order one.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
Came in today.  Downloaded app, mounted it on the P07 (after I unloaded it), let the phone find the Mantis (or is the other way around) and filled out the specs on the pistol, hand used, etc. and "fired" three groups.

Iron sights on a leaf on a bush in the front yard - 94
RMR dot on a knob on the entertainment center across the room - 92.9
Iron sights on that leaf on the bush in the yard - 96.1

It says I (sometimes??) break my wrist "up".  Or relax it too soon?

Now, before I do anymore dry firing I've got to find that bag of snap caps I bought a few months back.

And get the light off the P09 and the P01 and try them, too.

What's the advantage to using it while live firing?  Maybe to prove to someone they are flinching/jerking (which they might not do when they know they are dry firing?)

Joe, you said you went back to an "ugly" trigger on your CZ 97.  It doesn't have a rail does it?  No way to mount/use the Mantis to see the effects of nice trigger vs. ugly trigger??  Curious about that .
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Nope, no way to use in on the 97.  I can put it on the scope rail on top if the gun on the Kadet slide in the 75B.  I've been using it on the P-10C and P-07 mostly. 

It works fine in live fire and should be useful when training new shooters on their second range trip, too much stuff for a first range trip.  If you are scoring in the mid 90s, I wouldn't pay any attention at all to the analysis hints, just work on your trigger pull. 

I did score a 100 one time, from a rest, and I don't think it took much other than stopping my heart beat for 3 seconds.  I can't score 97 or better standing single hand, so it should help me some more.  I think I will get it out tonight. 

Also, keep the battery charged.  Mine will work for an hour or so between charges and that's it.  No one else has complained about it, so maybe it's just mine. 

I've been working a bunch over the last month or so, so I put the MantisX aside.  Time to get it and the P-10C out.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 07:22:08 PM »
Over 30 years ago it was revolvers in many/most LE departments.

I can remember getting into "discussions" with guys who were jerking the trigger/flinching but refused to believe/admit they were.

I'd volunteer to load their revolver for them and then leave a chamber empty in the cylinder.  It did catch their attention and stop the "discussion" about whether they were or weren't.

I'm hoping this will help some of the young ones that go to the range with me at times.

I think it will help me, too, and will give me some good info/input when dry firing - or more incentive to do it since now I've got a "coach".

edited to add:

I'll be curious about any difference between a striker fired gun and a hammer fired gun (might not be, but they sure do feel different to me).

I'm trying to remember if I have anything (hammer fired) with an ugly trigger, and a rail.  I think my ugly triggers are all striker fired guns.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:43:57 PM by M1A4ME »

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »
Just went through eleven sets of 5 trigger pulls.

I noticed an issue and wondered if you'd run across it.

One two of the eleven I got a disappointing low average.  I dug further and found I was credited with a sixth shot.  A really lousy sixth shot.  One was as low as 7.4!!  Which shot that group's average to small pieces.

The first time I saw that I had the I phone lying on my laptop in the floor.  I wondered it if was some type of interference from the laptop so I moved the phone up on the coffee table.  Well, it did it again with the sixth shot having a score of something like 42.7 (again knocking the snot out of the group's average.)

For the very last 5 shot group (still dry firing in the living room) I shot it double action with the P01 (the P01 has a pretty bad trigger compared to my P07 or P09) and still got a 5 shot average of 95.1.  I was wondering if shooting it double action might cause a similar issue since there is more finger and mechanical movement of parts, but that doesn't seem to bother the little bugger.

If it continues I guess I'll contact Mantis and see what they say.  I was just curious if it was a common problem (sometimes).

Edited to add:  After the second (fake) 6 shot group something shut down on me.  I don't know if the Mantis shut down or if it just lost communications with the phone (was only about 18" from the phone).  I hit the icon on the screen and it came right back up and went to the screen I'd been on.  I shot a couple more groups after that just to see if maybe that was a sign the batter was getting low (I charged it up prior to starting, but it's new and I'm still testing it and learning how it works.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:36:49 PM by M1A4ME »

Offline Joe L

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
I've had some false "shots", even today, when inserting a magazine or closing the slide.  Ideally, you would not hit the start button until the gun is cocked and ready to go.  You can delete a false trace, but not sure when you have to do it.  With me trying to run 3 cameras, a recorder, the iPhone, and shoot well, the least of my worries today was the MantisX.  Here is the video I shot today, you will see that I only fired 10 rounds, but got 12 or 13 recordings.  I'll sort it out this week. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,