Author Topic: Shew, help me out...can't get mag break back in on SP-01 compact.  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Foo_909

How in the world is anyone getting the curved mag break tip (pointing to it in the photo) back under the hammer spring?

I'm tempted to just cut that curved portion off.

On the full size guns it looks rather easy but I need some suggestions....

Offline amstaffer

Re: Shew, help me out...can't get mag break back in on SP-01 compact.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »
Cut it about half way and then hammer it more or less straight ,that's what I did worked perfect , no problem

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
Don't cut it yet.
This works for me. On the compacts, I remove the brake from the frame (drive out the pin in the top). Then I carefully flatten out the hook so the brake no longer has the curve in the bottom.
Without putting the top pin in, go about putting the brake, mainspring and plug just like before.... I align the brake in the back of the grip with the flattened portion inside the bottom of the grip by the hole for the plug. With mainspring and plug (and plug cut-out) aligned, I push down on them (the flattened end of the brake should slide along the outside of the plug) and insert the retaining pin on the bottom. On release, the flattened brake tip will hook and catch.
If you don't get it right on the first try, the brake tip might bend into a hook again and you'll need to start over.  Finally, align the top of the brake with the hole in the top of the grip  and reinsert the top pin.

Offline Foo_909

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:55:41 PM »
That got it Psyop96, thank you very much.

I ended up doing what you said and curling the tip back close to its original shape with a pair of needle noses as I held the plug almost all of the way in. Extremely frustrating.

Anyone else have any tips? When I go to change out the hammer spring or safety next time I may just cut the tab off, doesn't seem worth the effort as it will still sit in the slot at the base of the grip with the grip panels definitely keeping in place.

It seems the only function that little tab does is keeping the hammer spring plug semi captive so you don't launch it across the room.

Offline Struckat

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »
I messed with mine for a couple hours and finally got it back in, but I don't know how. It just happened.

Offline Psyop96

Shew, help me out...can't get mag break back in on SP-01 compact.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »
CZC (also CGW, I believe) sells this style of mag brake without the tab as a replacement if you're having difficulty with installing the original style. I have no experience with these.   https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/cz-compact-magazine-brake-stainless.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:17:37 PM by Psyop96 »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:24:40 PM »
I just gut the part off that curls in... Pin holds the spring plug in and the pin and grips hold the mag break in so it served no purpose.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline rhart

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:09 AM »
I'm with the "cut the curve off" crowd - works good.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 02:09:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure I show the Snippy Snippy in my Disassembly 2 video...
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85985.0
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline butodw

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 05:37:13 AM »
I used to have this problem, but found that if I remove the top pin, then reassemble the hammer spring, the bottom of this mag spring goes in easily- last thing is to put the top pin back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Foo_909

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 06:53:36 AM »
I don't see how that's possible as there is no way to get the factory hammer spring compressed enough to clear the bottom of the frame for the tab to slide in under the spring. It's pretty much as far as it can possibly compress.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 07:31:34 AM »
I don't have a problem getting it installed. With the top pin out, depress the mainspring plug completely. If there isn't a lanyard ring on the plug, place it on top of a 3mm socket to depress it fully. Slip the curved part of the mag brake into the gap that appears. Slowly release pressure and the brake will be pulled into the bottom slot, replace the upper pin when lined up with the holes in the frame. Just like Psyop96's procedure except I don't straighten the tab on the brake. OP, are you making sure the hammer is lowered before you try to install the spring and plug?

Offline Foo_909

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »
I see what you are saying now, my plug doesn't have the lanyard loop so I would have to use a socket to get it pushed in far enough to do anything. I'll give that a shot next time I disassemble it, thanks for the suggestion.

And yes the hammer is down.

Offline rhart

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 02:16:01 PM »
It's much simpler to just cut the tab off like Scarlett's vid shows. I was hesitant to do this until I got a Shadow and noticed the mag brake on it didn't have a tab at all. No need to finagle anything as the main body of the brake fits into a slot and doesn't need to be manuevered behind the mainspring. Don't even need a socket to push it so far.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 05:46:56 AM »
I used to fight this all of the time and then I joined the 'cut it off' crowd.  Wish I had cut these years ago.  They serve no purpose other than to make reassembly frustrating.

anything