Author Topic: Considering a Red Dot sighted pistol  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Ron M.

Considering a Red Dot sighted pistol
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:20:10 PM »
Like it says in the tittle, I'm looking into buying a Red Dot sighted 9mm pistol. So far I've looked at the Sig P320 RX (F and C) and Glock 34 MOS. Unimpressed by the Glock, I like the Sig and it's package pricing. Considering the S&W M&P CORE, Sig P226 RX and open to other suggestions or recommendations. I want to stay under $1200 for the pistol and sight. The Sig P320 RX has a monster price advantage with the complete package going for around $750 to $800.

Offline Joe L

Re: Considering a Red Dot sighted pistol
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:12:02 AM »
The proper way to mount the sight is with a milled slide, but you could try a CZ with a Springer Precision mount in the dovetail.  If you wanted a factory set up, the Sig looks good to me. 

I've shot Burris Fast Fire 3, 3 moa sights on a P-09, CZ-97B"E", P-07, and Sig P-226 over the last 4 years using either the Springer or Burris dovetail mounts.  Works great but the sight is a little high and there is no way to cowitness the sights.  I shoot Bullseye competition matches, reliability has been 100%. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:14:13 AM »
Not sure who makes the SIG red dot sight.

I am sure that I wouldn't jump on one till they've been out there long enough for people to use them and find out how well they hold up under use/abuse.

Why pay to be a guinea pig for a big company's products?

I don't have experience with SIG's red dots but I've got a SIG rifle they modified once, then quit making because they had a better idea, then quit supporting with parts and then dropped the improved model that replaced it without every finished the development/support for, etc., etc., etc.

In other words, the SIG pistols may be great, but I'd look at a well established sight made by a company that has a record of support for their products and customers (trijicon, burris, vortex, leupold, any more???).
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline ARodPDT117

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
I have a Sig320 (compact) milled for an Trijicon RMR, it's the best pistol I own. I am picking up a P09 today or tomorrow and I am going to do the same thing to it. After you start shooting a properly mounted red dot you won't go back to irons only again.

I like the RMR but I have had issues with the dot turning off mid string of fire because the battery connection, I do have an RMR sealing plate and I finally did the drop of "glue" trick under the battery to solve the issue for me. Due to the nature of the CZs though I think I am going to run a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it. Having the irons cowitness from behind is a must for me.

As Joe L mentioned the sig sights are still new to the game and there are a couple reasons I don't like them personally as much as the RMR or DPP but their price point is certainly much nicer. Hope this helps.

Offline jetcycles

Considering a Red Dot sighted pistol
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
I took the plunge and sent my unfired P-07 slide to Primary Machine to be milled for a Burris FastFireIII.  At the time, I had never even handled a pistol with a red dot sight, but I certainly have zero regrets after running a few hundred rounds through this P-07/FastfireIII combo.  I like it so much I've been kicking around the idea of having a kadet kit milled with an identical setup, just for grins!

Offline bsand

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »
The proper way to mount the sight is with a milled slide, but you could try a CZ with a Springer Precision mount in the dovetail.  If you wanted a factory set up, the Sig looks good to me. 

I've shot Burris Fast Fire 3, 3 moa sights on a P-09, CZ-97B"E", P-07, and Sig P-226 over the last 4 years using either the Springer or Burris dovetail mounts.  Works great but the sight is a little high and there is no way to cowitness the sights.  I shoot Bullseye competition matches, reliability has been 100%. 

Joe
I got that mount on my shadow custom along with a vortex viper for uspsa Carry optics.

I've got over 800 rounds fired and zero issues so far. I'm really really really happy with this set up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Beak Boater

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »
I too was on the fence about sending one of my CZ's out to have the slide milled, just for an experiment. When Sig came out with the P320 RX I thought that's the way to go. If I don't like it, I can sell the gun.
After shooting 500 rounds or so through it, its a blast to shoot. It takes some getting used to, first response is to find the front sight. Old Habits.....put the dot where you want the bullet to go and squeeze off the shot. I tend to shoot the Sig a little more consistant, have read that some is due to not having to concentrate so much on the sights, you tend to focus more on the target. Not sure if its true or not, but the thing is a tack driver.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:03:42 PM »
Got a chance to handle the M&P CORE 9 5 inch with a Vortex Viper, not a bad feeling rig, I also was able look at a Glock 17 MOS with a Delta Point. So far if I'm going for a factory milled pistol it's the Sig followed closely by the S&W. I looked a Springfield XD with the JT Defense mount holding a Fastfire III, it has potential too. I like the idea of back up iron sights that the Sig and S&W give you.

I suspect if I end up liking the red dot system, I'll send an SP01 off to Cajun Gun Works for milling, get a custom mount for one of my Beretta Brigadiers or both.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:57:23 PM by Ron M. »

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
I shot our Thursday night indoor GADPA (IDPA/USPSA style) match last night.

We had two scenario stages, shooting through windows and around walls and two standards stages.

We had 18 shooters and I came in 6th shooting a Glock 19 with Burris FF3 and I am a super senior!
Three of the top six were using red dots, another old guy and a yound guy who is fast with any gun.

It is a lot of fun and the dot is helpful to those of us with old eyes and even young eyes too it seems.

If I had known I was going to like the dot this much I would have sent off my P-07 to be milled and not bought the Glock, still might do it and sell the Glock!

Offline Joe L

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
Oldfrank--Do you have the 3moa dot model or the 8?  I've been telling people I thought the 3 would be fine for run and gun, but, since I haven't tried it myself, I thought I would ask.  I can't imagine using an 8, but look forward to your response.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline bsand

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »

We had two scenario stages, shooting through windows and around walls and two standards stages.

We had 18 shooters and I came in 6th shooting a Glock 19 with Burris FF3 and I am a super senior!
Three of the top six were using red dots, another old guy and a yound guy who is fast with any gun.

It is a lot of fun and the dot is helpful to those of us with old eyes and even young eyes too it seems.

If I had known I was going to like the dot this much I would have sent off my P-07 to be milled and not bought the Glock, still might do it and sell the Glock!
I shot a similar match last Sunday, but it was outdoors so we could actually run and gun.

Placed 2/13 with my shadow and dovetail mounted viper. I love the dot lol, so helpful for those distance shots.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »

Thanks gents, lots of good info and ideas.

Not looking to shoot competition with the pistol, but with old eyes myself, I want to try something different to see if I can do better. I shoot CASS/SASS once a week, that takes up all the time I can dedicate to a competitive shooting sport. If the red dot sight works out I very likely will be putting one on a hunting revolver.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
I have the 8 moa and actually when I dim it to the desired brightness for indoor, slightly precise shooting, it is probably 3moa size.

Too bright makes the dot bigger but it is too distracting and too hard to sneak a shot in between the two evil placed non threat targets.

Plus my astigmatism gives the dot a "flare" look when too bright but gets nice and round at a lower setting.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
Looks like I'll be getting the S&W Pro series M&P 9 CORE 4 inch with standard and threaded barrels. The owner of the shop I frequent has them available, he can't find the Sig at any distributor he uses. He's selling me the pistol for $600, delivered, so I can't complain about the price. I may end up having to buy a second 9mm suppressor for this pistol, if the hearing protection act passes, and I like it enough.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-9-pro-series-core

Now I need to figure out what sight to use. Right now I'm looking at the Vortex Viper 6 MOA,  Burris Fastfire II 4 MOA, Fastfire III 8 MOA, J-Point 8MOA, and the C-More STS2 8MOA. Looked at the EO Tech and Trijicon, but they're more than I want to spend on an experiment. I tried the Leupold Delta Point 7.5 it won't work for me, the triangle dot is too fuzzy for me to use.

Offline bsand

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
Viper is a cheap way to test out a RDS.

I've got about 1000 rounds on mine, no issues at all.

anything