Author Topic: Considering a Red Dot sighted pistol  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Meechy7648

Re: Considering a Red Dot sighted pistol
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 10:28:21 PM »
The proper way to mount the sight is with a milled slide, but you could try a CZ with a Springer Precision mount in the dovetail.  If you wanted a factory set up, the Sig looks good to me. 

I've shot Burris Fast Fire 3, 3 moa sights on a P-09, CZ-97B"E", P-07, and Sig P-226 over the last 4 years using either the Springer or Burris dovetail mounts.  Works great but the sight is a little high and there is no way to cowitness the sights.  I shoot Bullseye competition matches, reliability has been 100%. 

Joe
I got that mount on my shadow custom along with a vortex viper for uspsa Carry optics.

I've got over 800 rounds fired and zero issues so far. I'm really really really happy with this set up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
This makes me feel good about dropping my Shadow off with the Smith to have the mount installed for a Burris Fastfire lll. I'll get to try it out Monday. I was afraid to have the slide milled, in case I didn't like it. I'm glad that's working well for you.

Sent from my Mate 9.  Sorry if I missed any misspellings.

Offline bsand

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
The proper way to mount the sight is with a milled slide, but you could try a CZ with a Springer Precision mount in the dovetail.  If you wanted a factory set up, the Sig looks good to me. 

I've shot Burris Fast Fire 3, 3 moa sights on a P-09, CZ-97B"E", P-07, and Sig P-226 over the last 4 years using either the Springer or Burris dovetail mounts.  Works great but the sight is a little high and there is no way to cowitness the sights.  I shoot Bullseye competition matches, reliability has been 100%. 

Joe
I got that mount on my shadow custom along with a vortex viper for uspsa Carry optics.

I've got over 800 rounds fired and zero issues so far. I'm really really really happy with this set up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
This makes me feel good about dropping my Shadow off with the Smith to have the mount installed for a Burris Fastfire lll. I'll get to try it out Monday. I was afraid to have the slide milled, in case I didn't like it. I'm glad that's working well for you.

Sent from my Mate 9.  Sorry if I missed any misspellings.

yep, I am extremely pleased with it. Carry optics is WAAY more fun than production haha, too much fun.

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
A bit tough to find at the moment due to the fact they just got out in general release this month, but the Canik TP9 SFX is quite a bit of handgun for the money.  PPQ like trigger, comes with mounting plates for most of the popular red dot sights, which saves some money and would allow someone to switch tora different type later without the added expense of buying a new plate.

Prices have ranged fro just under $500 up to $550ish.

I've seen a few YouTube reviews, but think the one by Corine Mosher goes over more of the complete package that you get better than thevither reviews that are out at this time.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »
It's down to 2 sights. I can get a Vortex Viper 6MOA dot and a Burris Fastfire III 8MOA dot for the same price.

It really comes down to one question.  Do I want to co-witness the dot and iron sights? The Vortex is low enough so I can, the Burris only lets you see the top of the front and rear sights.

On my Beretta CX4 I fold down the sights because I find myself looking through and aligning the iron sights instead of  just putting the ring and dot over the target. Does anyone find this to be the case with Pistols?

SSGN_Doc, that looks like a great future option, I've already paid for the M&P-9 Pro series CORE, it should at my FFL Tuesday, I'll likely pick it up Friday or Saturday. I hope I haven't goofed buying the 4.25 inch barreled model and not the 5 inch version.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
On my wife's CZ Compact the dot of the DP Pro is right smack on top of the fiber optic front sight.  My wife finds it confusing but I thing she just needs to shoot it more.  And, were the iron sights be necessary to use it would most likely be that the red dot had "died" anyway, either through dead battery or malfunction.

On my RMR equipped CZ P07 and P09 the dot is somewhat above the top of the front sight.  Sounds like what you described, the back up sights are in the bottom of the lens.  Now I don't mind that.  If the dot is centered in the lens (doesn't have to be with the RMRs - not sure about the DP Pro, yet) the iron sights are easily visible in the bottom section of the lens.

In my opinion, you train for the good times (red dot working) and the bad times (switch to irons as if the dot had died) and after some practice you'll do it without thinking about it.

I've said this before.  If I lose/drop my glasses I cannot see the front sight.  The sights/top of the pistol are just a big blur.  The dot is a fuzzy dot, but I can see it.  It's not too hard to put a fuzzy dot on a target that I can see.

There may be another red dot pistol, or two, in my future.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline K3JB

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
I have been thinking of red dot pistol so I kind of followed some of Joe L's ideas. I mounted a Burris fast fire 3 3 moa on a Clock 17 I was not using. I used a mount for the dove tail and it works great. Much easier on the eyes, Thanks Joe L.
What I aim at I hit (most of the time ;))
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 06:19:14 PM »
Looks like I'll be buying a Fastfire III. Found a major issue with the Vortex Viper, the adjustment locking screws are behind the rear sight on an M&P CORE. I couldn't loosen or tighten the screws without removing the sight. Kinda defeats the purpose of locking the adjustments.

I should have everything on hand by Saturday, hopefully the boss lady and I can get out and shoot Sunday. Looking forward to seeing how and if it will work for us.

Offline K3JB

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »
I have tried a couple red dot sights, Burris Fast Fire 3 has been the best for me.
I have inflicted some damage to the Burris sight, bumping into other guns on tables, etc.
Burris as a company have been great to deal with, super customer support and unquestioned help.
I will be purchasing from them again, most likely for the P10C.  A friend had his P320 rx over to shoot
at my range, I had my G17 with the Fast fire 3 3moa. He liked the Burris better than the Sig red dot.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 04:48:09 PM »
Picked up everything Saturday, cleaned the pistol and installed the sight. Took longer to open the boxes than it did to install and do an initial adjustment on the sight.

Ran 50 rounds of 115gr GECO target ammo through the pistol while adjusting the sight. I was impressed with the accuracy while shooting from a rest, I was getting consistent sub 2 inch groups at 15 yards. Couldn't shoot at longer range, the indoor range I belong to only goes to 15 yards. 

Tried 50 rounds 124gr Winchester NATO ammo with equal results. The wife then ran 50 of Magtech 115gr and 50 of my 124gr handloads. She out shot me shooting unsupported, she seems to take to using the dot sight naturally.

I'm going to have to break the habit of trying to align the sights then look for the dot. I suspect with a little practice this is going to be a fun shooter. The boss lady already loves it.

The trigger is OK, breaks at slightly over 4.5 pounds. The take up is going to take some getting used to, it has two distinct clicks before you hit the break. Usable as it is but I think I can tune it up a bit. Reset is very noticeable, with a positive click. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:04:16 PM by Ron M. »

Offline K3JB

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
The Burris looks great on the M&P,looks like part of the pistol. On my G17 it sticks up, but I have grown use to it
and it works great.

anything