Author Topic: P09 Safety Swap and Hammer Rub Problems  (Read 1220 times)

Offline kbahus

P09 Safety Swap and Hammer Rub Problems
« on: March 25, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »
I have a new to me P09 with the CGW Pro package and just tried to swap the decocker for the safety and ran into a bit of trouble. My first install did not go well as this gun came with two sets of safety levers, it turns out that one set was missing the little pawl on the lever. After figuring this out and installing the other lever with the pawl and spring in place yields a safety that will not move to the up position. It seems to be installed properly, seated flush, etc. My frame looks exactly like this pic, from one of Joe L's posts, with what appears to be a rough corner on the lower section of the opening. Does this have anything to do with it?

After giving up I put the decocker back in, which functions fine. I hope I can figure this out as I dislike the CZ decocker and was really excited about being able to swap to the safety.

edit:

Another issue I just found dry firing the gun is the hammer (CGW) is rubbing on the left side of the frame enough to make the DA trigger pull very nasty and gritty. I can see the witness marks in the hammer and if I push the hammer to the right (centered) it is super smooth. Any advice regarding this?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:59:27 PM by kbahus »

Offline warbird1

Re: P09 Safety Swap and Hammer Rub Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
I have a new to me P09 with the CGW Pro package and just tried to swap the decocker for the safety and ran into a bit of trouble. My first install did not go well as this gun came with two sets of safety levers, it turns out that one set was missing the little pawl on the lever. After figuring this out and installing the other lever with the pawl and spring in place yields a safety that will not move to the up position. It seems to be installed properly, seated flush, etc. My frame looks exactly like this pic, from one of Joe L's posts, with what appears to be a rough corner on the lower section of the opening. Does this have anything to do with it?

After giving up I put the decocker back in, which functions fine. I hope I can figure this out as I dislike the CZ decocker and was really excited about being able to swap to the safety.

edit:

Another issue I just found dry firing the gun is the hammer (CGW) is rubbing on the left side of the frame enough to make the DA trigger pull very nasty and gritty. I can see the witness marks in the hammer and if I push the hammer to the right (centered) it is super smooth. Any advice regarding this?
I'm curious on this as the hammer on my Beretta PX-4 Storm rubs also.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »
If you have a CGW's hammer that is what is causing your safety problem. The new hammer slightly changes the geometry and the safety shaft will need to be fitted to the sear in order for it to be applied. I had to remove a very tiny amount of metal at the notch on the safety shaft until it would slip under the sear and I could apply the safety. Basically all that was needed was a bit of polishing with a Cratex wheel around the forward part of the shaft at the notch. You can easily remove some material from the frame or the hammer to cure the hammer rubbing and it will only take a minute amount of material to stop the rubbing. If you do it carefully no one will even notice it. I polished my CGW's hammer in this area to aid in the double action smoothness it could be that is all you need to do to alleviate that issue.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:56:34 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline kbahus

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply. I played around with the hammer rub issue today a little. With the slide removed I was able to see where it was rubbing and, as suggested, very lightly sanded the side. This improved the smoothness quite a bit. I am curious if I can totally resolve it though as at rest it now does not touch, but as soon as I apply pressure to the trigger I can see the hammer shift left and make contact with the frame.

I have not tackled the safety issue yet, but yes it has the full CGW package with the hammer and it sounds like that is causing the trouble.

Still trying to get to know this gun, lots to learn on a whole new platform!

anything