Author Topic: Shadow 2 or Shadow Tac 2?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline 2tango2

Re: Shadow 2 or Shadow Tac 2?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »
Well I solved my dilemma by eliminating both of them and buying a Rami BD instead

I'm thinking of sending my SP-01 to one of the shops to do their magic and also my 97 BD to CGW for the bushing replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lockean

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
Well I solved my dilemma by eliminating both of them and buying a Rami BD instead

Hahaha! That made my night!

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »

I'm thinking of sending my SP-01 to one of the shops to do their magic and also my 97 BD to CGW for the bushing replacement

Did you find that at the new shop in Londonderry? Lucky! Friend of mine has been looking for one forever. Congrats.

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 11:21:18 PM »
I don't believe this is the case. I just picked mine up 3 hours ago. Mine is no tighter, or even better machined than my standard SP01. I'm OCD as hell and if there were better machining I'd notice it. The inside of the frame is is finished nicer, but I wouldn't say its machined any better. In fact the trigger guard has a slight hump on one side that's not on the other. In my opinion they're not worth $13-1400. I'll be selling mine before I shoot it.

That's disappointing to hear, though I'm going to reserve final judgement til this weekend when I shoot mine.  Time will tell if there's a slew of used Shadow 2s popping up on GB.   Right now everyone is buying at MSRP or list price, so the dealer's are enjoying a pretty healthy markup due to all the waiting list hype.   I'm surprised there aren't more comments or complaints from the Canadians & Europeans, since they've had the S2s for a year now.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »
wahaha, that was quite the solution! Well done!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline Lockean

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
That's disappointing to hear, though I'm going to reserve final judgement til this weekend when I shoot mine.  Time will tell if there's a slew of used Shadow 2s popping up on GB.   Right now everyone is buying at MSRP or list price, so the dealer's are enjoying a pretty healthy markup due to all the waiting list hype.   I'm surprised there aren't more comments or complaints from the Canadians & Europeans, since they've had the S2s for a year now.

I'm probably just hard to please.

Some things I don't like:
-Trigger has grit / take up. It's smoothed a bit after an hour dry firing, but it's not impressive. They over hyped it
-The angled slide actually makes it a bit more difficult to grasp and rack overhand from the rear.
-Slide to frame fit seems looser than my old SP01
-Safety is way too light
-Machining isn't perfect on the trigger guard (this is real OCD / barely noticeable)
-What the $%*& is up with these 3 17 round mags it came with. They spent a year advertising 19 round mags (including the the front page of their US catalog), and other countries got them. However, for some reason they updated their USA website about a month ago to state 17 round mags, and decided to ship these to their US customers. This pissed me off.

I pulled the gun on this too early. This is on me. $1100 pistol, sure. The full $1400 MSRP is not worth it. This is coming from a guy who just spent $1400 building a Glock 19 out of parts, and had no problem paying the $2K MSRP on a new PWS AR (not bragging, just saying I'm not being a cheap ass). I'm going to try to break even and see if the prices die down later this year. As it sits I could easily dump another $300 to get this setup how I want it, and $1700 is getting close to STI 2011 money.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:21:59 AM by springerfanatic »

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »

Some things I didn't like:
-Trigger has grit / take up. It's smoothed a bit after an hour dry firing, but it's not impressive. They over hyped it.
-The angled slide actually makes it a bit more difficult to grasp and rack overhand from the rear.
-Safety is way to light
-Machining isn't perfect on the trigger guard (this is real OCD / barely noticeable)
-What the $%*& is up with these 3 17 round mags it came with. A year worth of advertising showing 19 round mags (including the the front page of their US catalog). But for some reason they updated their USA website about a month ago to state 17 round mags, and decided to ship these to their US customers. This pissed me off.

I pulled the gun on this too early. This is on me. $1100 pistol, sure. The full $1400 MSRP is not worth it. This is coming from a guy who just spent $1400 building a Glock 19 out of parts, and had no problem paying the $2K MSRP on a new PWS AR (not bragging, just saying I'm not being a cheap ass).

Yeah knowing how much a cajunized or CZC shadow 1 cost, this shadow 2 seems to be very overpriced. You're looking at $1500-$1600 just to get the action to where a shadow 1 is at. You can get a TS Orange for that money.

Offline Lockean

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

Some things I didn't like:
-Trigger has grit / take up. It's smoothed a bit after an hour dry firing, but it's not impressive. They over hyped it.
-Safety is way to light
-What the $%*& is up with these 3 17 round mags it came with. A year worth of advertising showing 19 round mags (including the the front page of their US catalog). But for some reason they updated their USA website about a month ago to state 17 round mags, and decided to ship these to their US customers. This pissed me off.

I pulled the gun on this too early. This is on me. $1100 pistol, sure. The full $1400 MSRP is not worth it. This is coming from a guy who just spent $1400 building a Glock 19 out of parts, and had no problem paying the $2K MSRP on a new PWS AR (not bragging, just saying I'm not being a cheap ass).

Yeah knowing how much a cajunized or CZC shadow 1 cost, this shadow 2 seems to be very overpriced. You're looking at $1500-$1600 just to get the action to where a shadow 1 is at. You can get a TS Orange for that money.

A TS orange is exactly what I have my eyes on!   8)

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »

I pulled the gun on this too early. This is on me. $1100 pistol, sure. The full $1400 MSRP is not worth it. This is coming from a guy who just spent $1400 building a Glock 19 out of parts, and had no problem paying the $2K MSRP on a new PWS AR (not bragging, just saying I'm not being a cheap ass). I'm going to try to break even and see if the prices die down later this year. As it sits I could easily dump another $300 to get this setup how I want it, and $1700 is getting close to STI 2011 money.

Sounds like we're on the same page.  I tend to do my research and buy good stuff as well.  I've been looking for quite a while and ran into the same things - there's very little out there that you can buy out of the box that doesn't still need work.  Some reasonably priced examples are Glock, M&P Pro, Rock Island, Colt Competition, etc., but those are all sub $800 pistols.  I was looking at STI, too, but IMO, they're overpriced as well and the build quality doesn't seem to be what it used to be.

Offline Shadow2

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
So what is the deal, you have people saying the machining is better and then others saying not so great. For the money I'd expect a tight fitting gun, Dan Wesson comes to mind for the price range.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:57:53 PM by Shadow2 »

Offline Lockean

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
So what is the deal, you have people saying the machining is better and then others saying not so great. For the money I'd expect a tight fitting gun, Dan Wesson comes to mind for the price range.

So what version are being looked at? Nitride or poly?

I have a nitride one. The gun isn't loose by most standards.  It's just not any tighter in the front than one of my Sigs. In my opinion it should be, given the internal rail design. I just emailed CZ custom to see if this was normal. It probably is, and is a result of CZ ramping up production to meet demand.

Offline Shadow2

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »
I'm inclined to think it has nothing too do with the ramping up of production and this in fact may be exactly what it's going to be. In which case it may very well not be the gun most where expecting. well at least not at the MRSP

I have a nitride one. The gun isn't loose by most standards.  It's just not any tighter in the front than one of my Sigs. In my opinion it should be, given the internal rail design. I just emailed CZ custom to see if this was normal. It probably is, and is a result of CZ ramping up production to meet demand.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:53:52 PM by Shadow2 »

Offline Lockean

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 09:14:13 PM »
I'm inclined to think it has nothing too do with the ramping up of production and this in fact may be exactly what it's going to be. In which case it may very well not be the gun most where expecting. well at least not at the MRSP

I think we're saying the same thing, and I may have been unclear. The point I was trying to make is that this is most likely as good as CZ will be able to make them while meeting their demand. I wasn't trying to say mine is an example of teething issues.

Offline strice

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »

Using Tapatalk

Offline losi b

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »
Shadow 2. You'll need a few parts though. Schmeky has been peeling his apart and it is sounding good. Really high quality new machining is used. Then you get the new grip/frame style.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I picked up a Shadow 2 yesterday.  Could you elaborate on what parts you are speaking of please?