Author Topic: Just ordered some stuff  (Read 840 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Just ordered some stuff
« on: March 18, 2017, 04:39:46 PM »
I have an "extra" DP Pro - the triangle model my wife didn't like on her Compact. 

Yesterday I got an Primary Arms e-mail/saie paper and while going through stuff I saw a DP Pro mount for a rail (like the flat top AR15 receivers/quad rails.)  I ordered one and a 1/2 riser to get it up a little off the top of the rifle.

I'm wondering whether it'll work best with the DP Pro on the upper receiver, or out on the rail on the free float tube.  Anyone else mount a dot sight on the free float tube instead of the upper receiver?  If the DP Pro was on a pistol it would be way out away from my eyes vs. up close like on the upper receiver.

I also ordered one of those Primary Arms red dot sights they say the battery can last up to 50,000 hrs. in.  I've got several of the Lucid sights (that look like an ACOG) and I'm sometimes finding a dead battery in them after sitting in the case (off) for a few months.  Not sure why a battery would go dead when the switch is OFF, but a couple of them have done just that.  I liked the idea of the Lucid sights because they used AA batteries which are easy to get just about anywhere and you can even buy rechargeable ones.  The little Primary Arms red dot uses a quarter sized watch battery (same batter the DP Pro uses, 2032 I think).  But if it can (possibly) last up to 50,000 hrs. when turned on maybe it will last well in the case when turned OFF, too.

I also ordered a full co-witness mount/base for the red dot.

We'll see how all that works out.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Tok36

Re: Just ordered some stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »
I have an "extra" DP Pro - the triangle model my wife didn't like on her Compact. 

Yesterday I got an Primary Arms e-mail/saie paper and while going through stuff I saw a DP Pro mount for a rail (like the flat top AR15 receivers/quad rails.)  I ordered one and a 1/2 riser to get it up a little off the top of the rifle.

I'm wondering whether it'll work best with the DP Pro on the upper receiver, or out on the rail on the free float tube.  Anyone else mount a dot sight on the free float tube instead of the upper receiver?  If the DP Pro was on a pistol it would be way out away from my eyes vs. up close like on the upper receiver.

I also ordered one of those Primary Arms red dot sights they say the battery can last up to 50,000 hrs. in.  I've got several of the Lucid sights (that look like an ACOG) and I'm sometimes finding a dead battery in them after sitting in the case (off) for a few months.  Not sure why a battery would go dead when the switch is OFF, but a couple of them have done just that.  I liked the idea of the Lucid sights because they used AA batteries which are easy to get just about anywhere and you can even buy rechargeable ones.  The little Primary Arms red dot uses a quarter sized watch battery (same batter the DP Pro uses, 2032 I think).  But if it can (possibly) last up to 50,000 hrs. when turned on maybe it will last well in the case when turned OFF, too.

I also ordered a full co-witness mount/base for the red dot.

We'll see how all that works out.

Interesting question, up to this point i do not believe that it has crossed my mind. You made a good point about how red dots on pistols are always a good distance from the shooter eyes. The only clear asset of mounting it in closer that i can think of is an increased field of view. This leads me to the question of how important is the field of view in a non magnified optic.

I have not fooled around with red dots much. The only one i own currently is installed on one of my ARs. It is a Primary Arms tube type red dot. It is installed as far back as possible while still leaving rail space for the flip up magnifier that sits behind it. I did not give the mounting position too much though when i installed it. Due to the eye relief of the magnifier i did not have allot of leeway. 
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »
All of mine (LUCIDs and the one AimPoint) are also mounted towards the rear.  I think I carried that over from scope mounting.

I'll have to see how it works out.  Dot size might be and issue, but I wouldn't think so since they are "out there" on pistols, too.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline bayouredd

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:04:56 PM »
Interesting point you guys are making.
I have debated an optic on my M1 Carbine for years. It's pretty simple to get a forward mount for such on the carbine and reviews are quite mixed on the rear sight mounting options. Possibly I did not like the forward option out of vanity. It just doesn't look right.
I never once thought about a handgun optic being held away from the eye. It has to be functional as such.

Hmmm...

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
Interesting point you guys are making.
I have debated an optic on my M1 Carbine for years. It's pretty simple to get a forward mount for such on the carbine and reviews are quite mixed on the rear sight mounting options. Possibly I did not like the forward option out of vanity. It just doesn't look right.
I never once thought about a handgun optic being held away from the eye. It has to be functional as such.

Hmmm...

My eyes ain't what they used to be.  I can't tell you that you'd like a LER scope/optic on your M1 Carbine, but I like the way I set up my M1 Garand.  This is my "shooter" M1.  Not at all collectible.  A rack grade (worn finish and lousy wood stock as purchased from the CMP) Greek Return M1 with a brand new (as purchased from the CMP) LMR 1953 barrel on it.  Shoots like nobody's business and reliable, too.  Ameaga Ranges scout scope/rifle mount with a 2X8 pistol scope (a cheap one that doesn't mind M1 Garand recoil at all).  No mods to the rifle, other than removing the lower handguard to install the barrel clamping scout scope mount in it's place.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
Well, the order came in today.  What was that song they sang on Hee Haw?  If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

The first thing I opened up was the PAR Advanced Micro Dot sight.  Turned it on, adjusted the brightness up/down, turned it off and removed the base so I could mount it on the absolute co-witness riser.  This one goes on my wife's AR15 carbine.  The battery going dead in the LUCID just sitting in the corner bothers me a lot.  This one uses a 2032 battery (same as the DP Pro on her pistol) but the estimated batter life is around 50,000 hrs. on medium setting.  Or just over 5.5 years.  We'll see.

Now to get to the range and swap red dots and sight it in.  Maybe Friday.....

Then I opened up the DP Pro mount from Leupold (I looked up the DP Pro yesterday and set it on the bench so it would be easy to find) only to find out it's missing the clamp and screw that holds it on the rail.  E-mailed them to see if they'd send me another clamp/screw or what.  We'll see.