Author Topic: I did it. Got tired of guessing about weights and ordered a postal scale  (Read 798 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Once I get it I'll be weighing all sorts of rifles, handguns, optics, loaded/unloaded magazines, etc.

I've been curious what some of this stuff weighs.

I just ordered an AR15 "rifle" kit from PSA to build a lighter weight AR15 for my wife.  Her current AR15 is a pretty light carbine but still has a long free float tube on it.  Optic, BUIS and sling.  No light though and no intent to add one.  She still complains it's "heavy".

This kit, as configured (no lower receiver) is advertised to weight 4.3 lbs. with BUIS (magpul).  When it comes in I'm going to weigh it and see for sure.  Then we'll have to decide on a small lightweight sight (scope or red dot, it's up to her).

We're going to put this "weight" thing to rest.

Upside is I can also weigh my handguns, plastic framed and metal framed and see what's what.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Yeah, I use the Scale that came with my Meat Slicer
The Tray's a bit small, but it works
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline aguila9

I use my weight watchers scale. My RRA lowers is 9 points. ;-)

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Offline oldfrank

I do a little selling on Ebay so I have a digital scale that I use for mailing packages from home.

I use it all the time to compare loaded/unloaded firearms weights and brand vs brand of firearms along with all kinds of other stuff.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
I use my weight watchers scale. My RRA lowers is 9 points. ;-)

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

No FudgeCycle for you    ::)
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline M1A4ME

Came in today.  Battery back up or plug it into an outlet.

Grabbed some close ones.

P07 .40 S&W with 13 roundns in it and RMR with back up sights = 2 lbs. 1.8 oz.

P09 .40 S&W with 18 rounds in it and a light on the rail = 2 lbs. 11 oz.

P09 9MM with 22 rounds in it an RMR and a light on the rail = 2 lbs. 12.9 oz.

CZ 75 Compact (the CZ 85 clone project) with 15 rounds in it = 2 lbs. 9.3 oz.

Same gun with a 20 rounds in it = 2 lbs. 11.8 oz.

AR 15 Carbine with light and optic (my dream carbine I built a few years back) = 10 lbs. 2.6 oz.

AR 15 pistol with light and optic = 5 lb. 6.3 oz.

AR 15 carbine with optic = 7 lb. 4 oz.  (my wife's carbine)

I'll just have to get a few more over the next few days.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline 35 Whelen

Did the same thing and really enjoy it. http://www.harborfreight.com/70-lb-32-kg-digital-postal-scale-95069.html $39.99 less the 20% coupon in the monthly American Rifleman.

Offline M1A4ME

Bought some AR15 lower receivers, prior to the election last fall.

Used one up yesterday.  My wife sometimes "mentions" that her AR15 is a little heavy.  All I could ever tell was that it was lighter than mine.

Got the scale now.  Now doubt what something weighs.

Anyway.  I saw an ad from PSA and ordered one of the MOE carbine kits (came with a Magpul rear pop up sight).  I put it together yesterday along with a sling from the parts bin and an Aimpoint I bought several years ago but didn't feel was making that particular rifle "better".

Anyway, the add said the kit weighed 4.3 lbs.  I thought, Great, add the lower and the optic/sling and it should be pretty light, still.

Well, full assembled and on the scale it weighed 7 lbs. 10 oz.  Her current carbine weighed in at 7 lbs. 5 oz.  However, the current carbine has a thinner profile barrel so it balances differently in your hands, too.  You may not be able to "feel" 5 oz. but you can feel the difference in balance.  She'll be sticking with her current carbine and the new one will go in the safe.

Oh, picture of the PSA MOE carbine kit assembled on the lower.  For $399 (the kit), $50 (the lower receiver, if I count the old Aimpoint from the used parts drawer ($287 - that's why I bought it, one of those contract over run deals several years ago) the combined price is pretty decent.  I'll need to shoot it/sight it in to see how it groups.