Author Topic: Witness 22LR Conversion kit  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Auriemma

Witness 22LR Conversion kit
« on: March 19, 2017, 06:16:01 AM »
Now I have a new toy for my Witness PS...
A 22LR conversion kit. These are hard to find. Won it from Fleabay. It should be in next week. Hopefully it's in as good a condition as described.

When it gets in, is there anything I should be looking for out of the ordinary?
--- Joe ---
Officially a gun owner on 2/10/17
Sig Sauer P320 RX 9mm
Tanfoglio Witness PS 9mm /.22LR

Offline darink300zx

Re: Witness 22LR Conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »
Congrats.  It seems that Eaa must import these in batches or something.  It seems like they are out of stock everywhere for a period of time and then everyone has them in stock for 6 months or so and then they are all out of stock again.  I don't know. 

I have both the small frame conversion like yours and the large frame conversion and I've been very pleased with mine.  The small frame conversion of mine has worked on my witness ps, witness ea9b (steel small frame), SAR b6P, and jericho 941f. 

You may already know this, but they won't hold the slide open on last round fired unless you change out the slide lock spring (I think).  My kits came with the spring (it was under the foam padding of the case the kit is in), but I've never changed them out.  I only use the 22 conversion for range fun and don't much care if the slide locks back or not. 

Anyway, they are a lot of fun and can be a cheaper way to get more trigger time on your witness. 

Darin.

Offline rabble_rouser

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »
  It seems that Eaa must import these in batches or something.  It seems like they are out of stock everywhere for a period of time and then everyone has them in stock for 6 months or so and then they are all out of stock again.  I don't know. 

Darin.

And the price creeps up a little bit more each new batch.

A 22LR conversion kit. These are hard to find. Won it from Fleabay.

I see one on there now for $125 starting out, I hope you got yours for a reasonable price.  :)
"Never frighten a little man. He'll kill you." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Auriemma

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:13:52 AM »
Congrats.  It seems that Eaa must import these in batches or something.  It seems like they are out of stock everywhere for a period of time and then everyone has them in stock for 6 months or so and then they are all out of stock again.  I don't know. 

I have both the small frame conversion like yours and the large frame conversion and I've been very pleased with mine.  The small frame conversion of mine has worked on my witness ps, witness ea9b (steel small frame), SAR b6P, and jericho 941f. 

You may already know this, but they won't hold the slide open on last round fired unless you change out the slide lock spring (I think).  My kits came with the spring (it was under the foam padding of the case the kit is in), but I've never changed them out.  I only use the 22 conversion for range fun and don't much care if the slide locks back or not. 

Anyway, they are a lot of fun and can be a cheaper way to get more trigger time on your witness. 

Darin.

Darin,
Thanks!  I hear you on the batch importing.  Previously, I missed the last available one by 30 minutes.  now they are Out of Stock everywhere, and no one knows when the next batch will come in.

You are not the first person I've heard say that the slide does not stay open when the mag empties on the 22 kit.  Some change the spring, others say it's not worth the time and work to change it out.

It seems that Eaa must import these in batches or something.  It seems like they are out of stock everywhere for a period of time and then everyone has them in stock for 6 months or so and then they are all out of stock again.  I don't know. 

Darin.

And the price creeps up a little bit more each new batch.

A 22LR conversion kit. These are hard to find. Won it from Fleabay.

I see one on there now for $125 starting out, I hope you got yours for a reasonable price.  :)

RR,
EAA wants $225 for one, I've seen them as low as $145, but most gouge on shipping.  I picked up one for $180.  Since they are hard to find (now) and I can be impatient, I over spent.

Next up...  new sights.
--- Joe ---
Sig Sauer P320 RX 9mm

Offline Auriemma

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
Guess what arrived today... the 22 Conversion kit.

It was simple to install, remove the 9mm slide, and slip in the 22 kit, locking it in as usual.  The fact the the barrel has no lugs was concerning, but that's how it's designed.  The mag will drop out only if the mag release is fully depressed.  Anything less and you need to pull it out, it is plastic and there is not enough weight. And as others have stated, the slide does not lock open when the last shot is fired.

So I inspected it, installed it, then took it to the range, just to make sure all was good before giving the seller feedback.
90 rounds down range (40 Federal American Eagle 38 gr., 50 Federal Game-shock 40 gr.), and only 1 FTF (from the American Eagle).

Oddly enough, most of my shots went from center to 1" left consistently.
Otherwise my only complaint is that the sights have no dots, but they are adjustable and replaceable.  Interesting that the 9mm Witness PS sights are neither.

I have to say... I like it!

--- Joe ---
Sig Sauer P320 RX 9mm

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »
Guess what arrived today... the 22 Conversion kit.

It was simple to install, remove the 9mm slide, and slip in the 22 kit, locking it in as usual.  The fact the the barrel has no lugs was concerning, but that's how it's designed.  The mag will drop out only if the mag release is fully depressed.  Anything less and you need to pull it out, it is plastic and there is not enough weight. And as others have stated, the slide does not lock open when the last shot is fired.

So I inspected it, installed it, then took it to the range, just to make sure all was good before giving the seller feedback.
90 rounds down range (40 Federal American Eagle 38 gr., 50 Federal Game-shock 40 gr.), and only 1 FTF (from the American Eagle).

Oddly enough, most of my shots went from center to 1" left consistently.
Otherwise my only complaint is that the sights have no dots, but they are adjustable and replaceable.  Interesting that the 9mm Witness PS sights are neither.

I have to say... I like it!

Very nice.  Good price on that considering.  Now you just need more guns that can use it, SAR b6P, Jericho 941f, etc.  lol

Offline TonyRumore

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
It makes for a good suppressor host.

In the 22 conversions, the barrels are the same between the large and small frame units.  Only the slides are different.

Tony

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:01:25 AM by TonyRumore »

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »
When you insert the magazine, be sure to depress the magazine release until the magazine is fully in place.  Doing this will keep the notch from wearing prematurely.  The plastic doesn't hold up like steel does, and the magazines are expensive.  Doing this will extend the life of the magazine considerably.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline rabble_rouser

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »
When you insert the magazine, be sure to depress the magazine release until the magazine is fully in place.  Doing this will keep the notch from wearing prematurely.  The plastic doesn't hold up like steel does, and the magazines are expensive.  Doing this will extend the life of the magazine considerably.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Good advice, I hadn't considered that; then again I've had mine for over 6 months and still haven't taken it to the range. :-[

Offline Auriemma

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »
I'll keep that in mind.

I will tell you the 22 conversion kit does NOT like CCI jacketed hollow points. Out of 150, 12 FTF, 9-10 FTL, and at least 3 where the next round went vertical while still in the mag, with a round still in the chamber.  I was not happy.
The rest of the rounds hit where I pointed.

Federal FMJ with full points (100 rounds) worked fine, no issues.

I think it's the shape of the hollow points causing the issue.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:23:40 PM by Auriemma »
--- Joe ---
Sig Sauer P320 RX 9mm

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
I'll keep that in mind.

I will tell you the 22 conversion kit does NOT like CCI jacketed hollow points. Out of 150, 12 FTF, 9-10 FTL, and at least 3 where the next round went vertical while still in the mag, with a round still in the chamber.  I was not happy.
The rest of the rounds hit where I pointed.

Federal FMJ with full points (100 rounds) worked fine, no issues.

I think it's the shape of the hollow points causing the issue.

I haven't had any issues with the conversion kit with anything I've tried in it, but then I haven't tried CCI hollow points in it.  I stopped buying the minimag hollow points a few years ago when I had the same thing happen that you describe in a ruger mkIII.  I only get the solid point minimags now and haven't had that issue with them. 

Darin.

Offline win308

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 09:07:45 PM »
I have the large frame 22 conversion that came with a .45 witness steel.  As stated, does not lock the slide back on the last shot.  Mine doesn't like Remington Golden Bullet or any brand of standard velocity.  Surprising accuracy with Armscor hi velocity plated and 100% function with that stuff.  Good with most 1150 ~1250 fps ammo except Remington.  I sold the 45 Witness, but another large frame will come along one day for me to use the 22 upper with.  Fun stuff.

Offline rabble_rouser

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 11:46:14 PM »
I have the large frame 22 conversion that came with a .45 witness steel.  As stated, does not lock the slide back on the last shot.  Mine doesn't like Remington Golden Bullet or any brand of standard velocity.  Surprising accuracy with Armscor hi velocity plated and 100% function with that stuff.  Good with most 1150 ~1250 fps ammo except Remington.  I sold the 45 Witness, but another large frame will come along one day for me to use the 22 upper with.  Fun stuff.

We see conversations about the small frame conversion fitting on other pistols like the B6P, Jericho, etc., but I wonder (long shot, I'm sure) if the large frame conversion would work on the Sar K2 .45?

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 06:45:17 AM »

We see conversations about the small frame conversion fitting on other pistols like the B6P, Jericho, etc., but I wonder (long shot, I'm sure) if the large frame conversion would work on the Sar K2 .45?

I'll admit, I've never tried this or even thought of it, so I was intrigued.  No, the slide doesn't fit the k245, it is too narrow, just kind of flops around in there.  Even if the slide would fit, the mag is at the wrong angle and kind of flops around too. 

Nice thought though, woulda been nice if it had worked.  I had my doubts since the k245 uses different mag design and such. 

Darin.

Offline rabble_rouser

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 11:10:54 PM »

I'll admit, I've never tried this or even thought of it, so I was intrigued.  No, the slide doesn't fit the k245, it is too narrow, just kind of flops around in there.  Even if the slide would fit, the mag is at the wrong angle and kind of flops around too. 

Nice thought though, woulda been nice if it had worked.  I had my doubts since the k245 uses different mag design and such. 

Darin.

I didn't expect someone would address my question right away, thanks for looking into it. I honestly didn't think they would be compatible but like they say,
you never know until you try.  :)

anything