Author Topic: Witness 22LR Conversion kit  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Auriemma

Re: Witness 22LR Conversion kit
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 12:22:49 PM »
Ok... I've run 700+ rounds through the 22 conversion kit on my Witness PS. I've become used to the FTF (pull back the hammer and fire again usually works). I'm taking it as a rim fire issue.
I've started getting the slide not going into battery (I think I said that right). I have to thumb it forward all the way occasionally.  And as others have said, the last shot does not leave the slide open.

Would using the 9mm recoil spring help any of these conditions?
--- Joe ---
Officially a gun owner on 2/10/17
Sig Sauer P320 RX 9mm
Tanfoglio Witness PS 9mm /.22LR

Offline Auriemma

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
I just called EAA. The rep said that the slide may need to be fitted to the frame by a smith to function properly. No other parts are required once its fitted. No new slide release spring is needed. That should fix the going into battery AND staying open after the last shot according to them. They said the fit is a simple matter.
--- Joe ---
Sig Sauer P320 RX 9mm

Offline whitecap

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 05:59:05 PM »
When you rack the slide slowly its full length do you fell any tight spots? When the slide is forward, can you wiggle the slide? It should, ever so slightly. A gunsmith is not going to add metal anywhere. If you detect tight spots then they need to identified and stoned until no more hiccups are detected. Use a black marker to color the slide. Reinstall it and work the action. Once removed it should tell a story as to wear contact occurs. 22 is the dirtiest ammo out there ands because these are blow back operated pistols, all that crud doesn't go out the barrel but backwards into the guts of the pistol and the shooters eyes. Brake clean works very well and doesn't require tear down while shooting. Once home, a more thorough cleaning my be in order.

Offline pappa

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
I just called EAA. The rep said that the slide may need to be fitted to the frame by a smith to function properly. 

ANS:  "Sorry this is 3 mo old, but maybe it will help someone.
I know Kadet and Witness conversions differ, but you may want to check on you tube "sootch00 "CZ75 Kadett 22lr Pistol Conversion  esp 3:20-5:20  before you take it to a gunsmith.
 Another good video (Kadet) is Jeremy S. "CZ Kadet Kit .22 Sbooting Review:Rimfire upper conversion...   .  I found 0:55-2:00 on the slide arrangement esp. interesting .  I have a B6P, and am researching before I spring for the conversion.  I also have a K2 45, and that's the one ($$) I'd really like to get a ,22 conversion for. Every .22 blow back ever made spews powder residue into action - gets really gummy mixed with gunoil in a short time.  Only bad side I see of conversions. Running with Only oil left after wipe with dry cotton
cloth seems to work best for me.  I hope your Witness is running fine."

No other parts are required once its fittNo new slide release spring is needed. That should fix the going into battery AND staying open after the last shot according to them. They said the fit is a simple matter.

Offline pappa

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 02:33:32 AM »
I assumed anyone in this post has seen Darin's excellent you tube video EAA Tanfoglio Witness 22 Conversion ; darink300zx. His 22 slide slipped in right out of box . I don't post here often but I sure do learn a lot reading here. Thank you all.

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
I assumed anyone in this post has seen Darin's excellent you tube video EAA Tanfoglio Witness 22 Conversion ; darink300zx. His 22 slide slipped in right out of box . I don't post here often but I sure do learn a lot reading here. Thank you all.

Hey, thanks.  I wouldn't say it's excellent though.  Regarding the 22 conversion, it also works well on my SAR b6p, steel frame witness EA9, and Jericho 941 with no issues.  It is most accurate, at least in my hands, with my SAR b6P. 

Offline Auriemma

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »
Ok folks... I got tired of the slide not locking open after the last shot. I ordered some sample springs close to what I was looking for and started cutting to replace the weak mag coil spring.
What I ended up with is a 22 conversion that locks open after the last shot (mag empty), but the mag will only take 8 rounds.
After 100 rounds (CCI Hollow points... it's what I had) of testing, loading 8 at a time, I only had 4 FTLs, but all I needed to do was touch the slide and it snapped closed. No FTFs and the slide locked open after the last shot EVERY TIME. I'm still looking for a spring that does everything, but this is a nice start.

If you are interested, Century Springs Corp. #11422. Less than $2/spring. Free if you get 2 samples. I'll get back to you with the cut down length.
--- Joe ---
Sig Sauer P320 RX 9mm

Offline Rcher

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »
Ordered Witness 22LR Small Frame conversion kit to try it on my Sarsilmaz Mega :) (Budsgunshop has a good deal, so I can't resist).
I hope it will work.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:23:03 PM by Rcher »

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »
Ordered Witness 22LR Small Frame conversion kit to try it on my Sarsilmaz Mega :) (Budsgunshop has a good deal, so I can't resist).
I hope it will work.

Be sure to let us know how/if it works, I'd guess that it will, but you don't know till you try.

Offline Rcher

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 09:15:03 PM »
I hope it will work.

Be sure to let us know how/if it works, I'd guess that it will, but you don't know till you try.

Ok, conversion kit arrived today and it fits Sarsilmaz Mega. Several things I noticed.

(1) You need to press mag release for more smooth mag insert. I think it's expected and should prevent plastic mag from extra wear.

(2) When inserting slide there's some resistance at the end, so I followed advice for Baby Eagle to insert .22 mag first and then the slide. It helped.
(I saw this video before for Baby Eagle + witness kit )

Update: Actually after good lubrication of rails I don't have any issues and can insert slide without inserting mag first.

(3) When inserting slide stop it's more tight cause there's less space for the short leg (thing which actually locks the slide). So, it has to be lubricated for less wear.

(4) Recoil spring is very light comparing with 9mm recoil spring. When slide is released I think it is moving more slowly. Or might be slide is a bit tight to the frame. I should lubricate rails better.

I will test how it works on the range in a week or two.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:44:25 AM by Rcher »

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 06:39:32 AM »
Looks like it fits well on the SAR, like it was made for it.  Looking forward to hear how she shoots with it.

Offline Rcher

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 06:21:01 PM »
Looks like it fits well on the SAR, like it was made for it.  Looking forward to hear how she shoots with it.

Yes, Darin it looks well fitted. But found issues when shooting. I could not wait till weekend, so I went to range yesterday. So far I'm disappointed. Besides known issue with not locking slide when mag is empty (minor issue for me) I got consistent FTF every 3rd or 4th round. I used CCI Mini-Mag HP (bought by mistake instead of solid nose); Federal Game-Shok 40 gr copper-plated and Armscor HP 36 Grain. I read about issues with hollow points before, but seeing similar results for Federal Game-Shok makes me think the issue is with gun.

I tried different magazine loads (10, 5, 4, 3 rounds) - looks the same. 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd round is shot, then failure to feed and slide is stuck in backward position. I release mag; eject failed round; attach mag; and again 2 rounds are shot, 3rd or 4th jams. I noticed that usually after jam bullet nose was malformed (lower part was damaged), so I think it was "nose down feed issue".

I researched forums and found several possible reasons:

(1) Weak magazine spring
(2) Weak recoil spring
(3) Wrong angle between slide/barrel and frame/magazine
(4) Extra friction between slide moving backward and hammer (or strong hammer spring).

What I'm thinking about is polishing (adjusting) barrel ramp feed; slide's back and hammer (areas touched when slide is moving back).
I'm also thinking about replacing magazine spring to a stronger one, but didn't find any specs or instructions about .22lr mag construction and disassembling.

By no means I want to replace slide lock spring. First, I'm not sure it will resolve feeding issue and second - I don't want to worsen 9mm shooting experience which is great now.

I also can try to test more expensive solid nose ammo, but with very consistent failure on 3rd or 4th round (which is not normal) I would rather look how to adjust hardware.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:25:11 PM by Rcher »

Offline darink300zx

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 07:12:38 AM »
Well, that sucks.  I haven't had any of those issues with mine.  I know EAA indicates that some fitting is required for these to work properly, but I guess I was lucky because mine haven't required any.  I wouldn't know where to start in the polishing.  I know there was some information on another forum I visit that discussed this but this was all I could find:

http://tz75man.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=530&SearchTerms=22,conversion

Offline Rcher

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
Well, that sucks.  I haven't had any of those issues with mine.  I know EAA indicates that some fitting is required for these to work properly, but I guess I was lucky because mine haven't required any.  I wouldn't know where to start in the polishing.  I know there was some information on another forum I visit that discussed this but this was all I could find:

http://tz75man.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=530&SearchTerms=22,conversion

Thank you, I think the quality of these conversion kits differ, so some of them need adjustment, some not. And I suspect magazine at the first place, it has very bad quality. BTW, I noticed that after I loaded round to mag, there's some gap (about 1-2mm), so round can be moved back-forward. I don't know if this is expected for .22lr, for 9mm round is "fixed" when loaded to mag.

(I will try to add some photos later)

Offline Rcher

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »
Well, I polished the slide and feed ramp with Flitz, bought another magazine and shot another 250 rounds.
Things are much more better, I still got occasional FTF, but I can live with it. I really enjoy shooting 22lr rounds with my Mega + Witness .22lr kit.
I'm afraid that I will be addicted to it more than shooting 9mm :) Usually, when I change the slide and shoot 9mm at the end of the range session I feel recoil immediately. I probably should go to range and shoot only 9mm some days.

anything